The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    Well Max just gave a masterclass to show why he will never win a championship.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7701
    I can’t say I agree with Ocon’s penalty.  He was unlapping himself and was sitting right on the apex of turn 2 when Max turned into him.  It’s not like he can just teleport out of the way just because Verstappen doesn’t like being overtaken.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Garthy said:
    Max will be an F1 champ. He's young. Hamilton could have won in his first season but threw it all away with some mistakes.

Next season could be good with Max v Lewis. I'm of the opinion that Seb is overrated .... Ferrari will need to get rid of him.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    Yikes .. Max hits Ocon in the weight-in area ...

• BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5201
    edited November 2018
    Theres some bollox on this thread....

Lewis deserved a reprimand on the Raikonnen incident, but not a penalty. The Sirotkin near miss was an outlap so doesn't matter, he was also unsighted at the bottom of a hill after taking the left hander. Couldn't see the Williams till the last minute. 

Vettel should've been banned, there is no Lewis bias and there's no evidence of it either. Except on this thread where there's a bias against him a lot of the time. Jealousy is a terrible thing

Max is a potential great, but he did make a mistake against Ocon as much as Ocon was taking the pee a bit. He should've seen him there, Lewis made a similar error in Belgium years ago. 

Lastly McLaren ruined Lewis's chance of a debut season title, silly strategy errors yet he still matched Fernando. 

Twas a great race though.

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    edited November 2018
    Fretwired said:
    Garthy said:
    Max will be an F1 champ. He's young. Hamilton could have won in his first season but threw it all away with some mistakes.

Next season could be good with Max v Lewis. I'm of the opinion that Seb is overrated .... Ferrari will need to get rid of him.
    1 mistake, he trusted the team implicitly. In his first four seasons he missed a WDC by a point, won the WDC in year 2, and missed the WDC by a handful of points in the fourth year. 

Contrast this with Max who crashes every other Sunday for four years straight and costs himself scores of points each season. 

Gasly is more of a threat next year, as is LeClerc. Put some championship campaign pressure on Max and he’ll be in the barriers again.
  • Max has the “never yield” attitude that he was brought up to believe. With Jos still following him around everywhere that won’t change. If he gets out from under his Dad’s pupillage he has the skills to be a multi-champ.

But if he keeps fighting every single corner like he currently does, then I can’t see it.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5101
    Cols said:
    I can’t say I agree with Ocon’s penalty.  He was unlapping himself and was sitting right on the apex of turn 2 when Max turned into him.  It’s not like he can just teleport out of the way just because Verstappen doesn’t like being overtaken.
    Precisely - he's got so used to people jumping out of the way that he's forgotten about the laws of physics.
  • Max acting like a total prat after the race. Does him no favours.

Yep. 

And while most of his on-track incidents aren’t quite “his fault”, it’s very telling that he’s involved in 90% of all incidents involving  front runners.
    Yep. 

And while most of his on-track incidents aren’t quite “his fault”, it’s very telling that he’s involved in 90% of all incidents involving  front runners.
    Ocon, ought to have eased of a touch to allow Max through, but at the same time Max had it all to lose so should have ensured he allowed a much larger gap between the cars until we was fully clear.  The penalty was harsh against Ocon as it was 50/50.   After the race, attacking another driver (in full view of cameras) was the act of an idiot.  I hope he gets a fine /penalty, but gives how this weekends penalties have not been handed out it seems unlikely. 

Yep. 

Ocon, ought to have eased of a touch to allow Max through, but at the same time Max had it all to lose so should have ensured he allowed a much larger gap between the cars until we was fully clear.  The penalty was harsh against Ocon as it was 50/50.   After the race, attacking another driver (in full view of cameras) was the act of an idiot.  I hope he gets a fine /penalty, but gives how this weekends penalties have not been handed out it seems unlikely. 
    Fact is Max didn't leave room when there was a driver alongside him. 

If it was the other way around (irrespective of whether a for-position overtaking or lapping/unlapping), the Max-obsessives would be raging.
    Still think Max will get there .. Red Bull have the best car on the grid. It's the engine that let's them down. If Honda get their act together then Max will be starting from the front of the grid. Hamilton was lucky in that he was in a fast car when he started. When McLaren went off the boil Hamilton was hitting everyone like Max .. lots of errors. He even hit Jenson Button when he was his team mate. Plus he had run-ins with Massa and drove into Kimi in the pit lane.

Here's Lewis in action ... his best crashes and spins ... just like Max ....

• Fretwired said:
    Still think Max will get there .. Red Bull have the best car on the grid. It's the engine that let's them down. If Honda get their act together then Max will be starting from the front of the grid. Hamilton was lucky in that he was in a fast car when he started. When McLaren went off the boil Hamilton was hitting everyone like Max .. lots of errors. He even hit Jenson Button when he was his team mate. Plus he had run-ins with Massa and drove into Kimi in the pit lane.

Here's Lewis in action ... his best crashes and spins ... just like Max ....

Absolutely. 2012 was a shitshow for Lewis. But he picked himself up and calmed down and is now the best on the grid by a big chunk, most likely.

I hope Max can manage the same as he's clearly a gifted driver in terms of speed and balls, but I can't help hoping Ricciardo gets a proper car first...
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 8092
    Garthy said:
    Careful - Fretwired used to rail against Hamilton every race in his early career, proclaiming him similarly. 
    Red ones are better. 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 8092
    Verstappen had it entirely within his control to choose not tangle with a reckless back marker - a point Hamilton made to him in the cool down room. 

Ocon bears responsibility for clumsy driving, but differently, Verstappen for having his horns out around an occasionally clumsy driver. Being right is irrelevant when it means you're standing on the wrong step. He's going to wipe the floor with a few championships if he can stay in a competitive team, and probably soon. 
    Red ones are better. 
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 528
    tFB Trader
    Fretwired said:
     He even hit Jenson Button when he was his team mate.

No he didn't - Button drove across and into him while Hamilton was overtaking. A bit different to Hamilton "hitting" Button.
    The fault with that one lies with the pit wall - they should have told Button Hamilton was going to pass him.
    Fretwired said:
     He even hit Jenson Button when he was his team mate.

No he didn't - Button drove across and into him while Hamilton was overtaking. A bit different to Hamilton "hitting" Button.
    The fault with that one lies with the pit wall - they should have told Button Hamilton was going to pass him.
    Not what Hamilton said at the time:

Lewis Hamilton has admitted he was to blame for his collision with McLaren team-mate Jenson Button at the Canadian Grand Prix on Sunday.

Hamilton attempted to pass Button on the start/finish straight, but ended up touching the wall and puncturing his left rear tyre. The stewards said it was a racing incident after race, but Hamilton, who retired as a result, said he had already cleared the air with Button during the long red flag period for rain.

He told BBC Radio 5 Live's podcast: "When they had the long break Jenson came up to the room and just said: 'Sorry about that I didn't see you.' And I said: 'Yeah my fault entirely, I was in the wrong place really at the wrong time,' and that's it. We're good team mates, I think."

• sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1420
    Yeah, no.  Button was at fault.  I actually think he saw him and wanted to block the move off.

But then every driver tells it like it is every time right?  
    sinbaadi said:
    Yeah, no.  Button was at fault.  I actually think he saw him and wanted to block the move off.

But then every driver tells it like it is every time right?  
    To be fair to Button you can see f*** all in the wet in your mirrors and why would Hamilton say it was his fault? He should have backed out of it as Max should have done.