The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Boromedic said:
    Bless you @Garthy that must've took ages! Fair play to you, I think Lewis is a legend and that video was bollox tbh, I think you're being harsh about China 07 as well. The team kept him out when he wanted to pit as he knew his tyres were fucked, inexperience probably. 
    He's having a go at me but misses the point by a zillion miles. Lewis had his moments especially in 2012 when he was in Vettel territory error wise. I think Max is an exceptional talent - he came into F1 too young - he will be an F1 champion. Lewis has developed and got better. I'm a Hamilton fan .. Lewis v Max could be entertaining next year.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5201
    edited November 2018
    Yeah I know...... you could probably make a compilation like that with all drivers, you’ve got to push hard to find the edge. 2012 was a poor season for Lewis but it does help to highlight his biggest weakness. He struggles with on track focus when he has other things occurring outside of racing, it’s always been where he falls down but it’s also been an area he has improved over the years. He seems to have managed those better over recent years.

Also the argument Button and Rosberg beat him in a season is based on very simplistic statistics, and doesn’t show the whole picture. For instance if Lewis hadn’t blown up in Malaysia then Rosberg wouldn’t have beaten him, and that’s just one race. 

Max will win a title, in fact if Red Bull can sort themselves out I can see an epic Lewis, LeClerc, Verstappen battle emerging with Vettel falling short. If Charles can start strongly, Vettel will crumble like he did that year against Danny Rick.

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

• markr76markr76 Frets: 410
    Here's a couple of photos from our championship celebrations this week.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/157183221@N05/yDPYe9

https://www.flickr.com/gp/157183221@N05/n93h64

I was at the back. Was a pain as the sun was so low in the sky and right in our faces.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I will add though. With all the debates going on about the drivers. Although Vettel has gone off the boil, lost his edge or whatever. He has still won 4 championships. At the end of the day it doesn't matter how it's done. In time, people will remember only the statistics. 
    As it stands Verstappen and LeClerc have lots of talent. But it doesn't mean they will be as successful as a betting man would think. They've actually got to get those championships in the bag. Look at Alonso. He's arguably the most complete driver of his generation. I would have expected him to win more championships. But he made some bad decisions about where he would drive. Did things that stopped him getting a drive where he would have probably won a championship. 
    Look at Montoya or Kubica. I would have expected both if them to win at least 1 drivers each.
    I'm not a fan of Vettel by the way. I just think he should be shown a little respect. If I were a betting man. I'd say that Verstappen was the most likely to win in the future. But he hasn't yet. Remember his dad had a lot of promise when he came into F1 too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5101
    markr76 said:

I was at the back. Was a pain as the sun was so low in the sky and right in our faces.
    Something to be proud of!
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8652
    markr76 said:

Congratulations. Do you get a tasty bonus?  :)
    Kilgore said:
    markr76 said:

Congratulations. Do you get a tasty bonus?  :)
    We all get a £10000 bonus at the end of January. Which has been nice the last few years. 
    The added bonus us my missus has given me the green light to get a new amp. I'm edging towards a Two Rock i think. But also have hamstead, Rift amps on my radar. On the flip side a Friedman be50 or a bogner. Some thing like that. My badcat hotcat 30r is going to have to be sacrificed though.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5201
    markr76 said:
    I will add though. With all the debates going on about the drivers. Although Vettel has gone off the boil, lost his edge or whatever. He has still won 4 championships. At the end of the day it doesn't matter how it's done. In time, people will remember only the statistics. 
    As it stands Verstappen and LeClerc have lots of talent. But it doesn't mean they will be as successful as a betting man would think. They've actually got to get those championships in the bag. Look at Alonso. He's arguably the most complete driver of his generation. I would have expected him to win more championships. But he made some bad decisions about where he would drive. Did things that stopped him getting a drive where he would have probably won a championship. 
    Look at Montoya or Kubica. I would have expected both if them to win at least 1 drivers each.
    I'm not a fan of Vettel by the way. I just think he should be shown a little respect. If I were a betting man. I'd say that Verstappen was the most likely to win in the future. But he hasn't yet. Remember his dad had a lot of promise when he came into F1 too.
    I respect Vettel a lot more than I used to, however I don't think he's a great. Using stats only to make that argument is not taking into account the whole picture. I do like Sebastian a lot more now, but you guys and Lewis showed him up in a season he should have wrapped up by Monza. 

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

• GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    Which mistakes in 2012?
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 528
    edited November 2018 tFB Trader
    Methinks folks are mixing up 2011 and 2012 - 11 was when Lewis went off the boil and drove like a bit of a tit.
    In 2012 (his last year with Mclaren) he actually drove very well and if I'm not mistaken would have been on to win the championship without the unreliability and team mistakes (retired from lead of 3 races, started from back of grid in Spain due to fuel sample debacle etc, nerfed off by Pastor Maldonado when in 3rd at European GP)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I've been following plenty of non-F1 stuff today. WEC had Alonso, Kobayashi, Button and Bruno Senna all towards the front with some decent-fish racing between lengthy safety car stints in the wet. 

F3 was at Macau again, demonstrating exactly why they shouldn't be racing in Macau, again. Massive accident for Sophia Floersch, who is apparently ok but in need of spinal surgery :( 2 photographers and a marshal were also hit by the car and/or catch fence and I'm guessing in pretty bad shape. Hopefully everyone will be ok.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Been following the WEC as well. Not bothered about the Toyota’s up front but good to see Petrov and co (including Jenson) on the podium finally. Was gutted back at silverstone in August to only see Jenson practice. 

We (me and my eldest lad) follow the Ford’s in GTEPro which has had some great racing this year, sadly this morning’s race was best forgotten for them. 

We were also hoping Ott Tanak would have a miracle result down in Oz for the final
    round of the WRC, but it will seems you still need to be called Sebastian to win that. 

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4263
    I've been following plenty of non-F1 stuff today. WEC had Alonso, Kobayashi, Button and Bruno Senna all towards the front with some decent-fish racing between lengthy safety car stints in the wet. 

F3 was at Macau again, demonstrating exactly why they shouldn't be racing in Macau, again. Massive accident for Sophia Floersch, who is apparently ok but in need of spinal surgery :( 2 photographers and a marshal were also hit by the car and/or catch fence and I'm guessing in pretty bad shape. Hopefully everyone will be ok.
    The accident looked massive :( hopefully the photographer and Marshall’s are going to be ok, drivers expose themselves to the risk by the nature of the Sport and racing couldn’t take place without those volunteers
  • I've been following plenty of non-F1 stuff today. WEC had Alonso, Kobayashi, Button and Bruno Senna all towards the front with some decent-fish racing between lengthy safety car stints in the wet. 

On for the WEC highlights later. New Aston Martin took its first win :) 

I fucking hate Macau. It's a stupid course, the majority of races there get ruined by safety cars, flags etc, and the injury rate is very high. Utterly moronic place and it should be removed from the motorsport venue list. 

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Methinks folks are mixing up 2011 and 2012 - 11 was when Lewis went off the boil and drove like a bit of a tit.
    In 2012 (his last year with Mclaren) he actually drove very well and if I'm not mistaken would have been on to win the championship without the unreliability and team mistakes (retired from lead of 3 races, started from back of grid in Spain due to fuel sample debacle etc, nerfed off by Pastor Maldonado when in 3rd at European GP)
    Spot on ... not sure why I typed 2012 ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • On the crash at Macau, this compilation of amateur videos indicates how horrific it was. 

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5101
    What the !!!!
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4713
    edited November 2018
    Holy shit!! How come she was going so much faster than everyone else?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4263
    Looks as though she had brake failure, you can hear it skidding long before thei mpact and the car launched itself over the nose one of another. It was a freakish accident and the only thing I’ve seen similar was Barrichello at Imola where only the fencing g stopped him landing on the Marshalls post
  • DesVegas said:
    Holy shit!! How come he was going so much faster than everyone else?
    She :)

sweepy said:
    Looks as though she had brake failure, you can hear it skidding long before thei mpact and the car launched itself over the nose one of another. It was a freakish accident and the only thing I’ve seen similar was Barrichello at Imola where only the fencing g stopped him landing on the Marshalls post
    She had a coming together with Jehan Daruvala that may well have broken suspension on the left side. Watch from 7 seconds in.