The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• True, but it's not like Alonso has form for making good judgement calls..! 

And besides, last year's Mclaren was actually quite drivable, just underpowered, so characteristically the other end of the scale from the Williams. Next year is surely a critical year for Paddy. I'm yet to be convinced he's been the driving force (no pun intended) behind the successful cars on his CV.
    With the Mercedes engine, you can't imagine they would be so bad next year. But you look at the two years with Cosworth and the two years with Renault before that and see how the second season with each engine saw nosediving results where they scored even less points than this year. 

I agree that next year is critical. They have to deliver.  
    Yup. Presumably they've spent all of of this year sorting out their wind tunnel so next year's car doesn't stall the moment you turn in on high speed corners. 

And reports suggest Kubica has been WAY quicker than Stroll & Sirotkin in the sim - worth multiple grid slots in quality times, noe he's up to speed with the modern cars & tyres. If true, they could at least be a reasonable midfield team next year. The issue will be the strides TR and Sauber may be able to make over the winter. 

All I can do is keep fingers crossed, and hope next years livery is decent, as I'll definitely buy a Kubica hat if they don't like shite! :D 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Cols said:
    Mrs Cols has reviewed the Sky subscription and told me that the F1 channel is costing us the princely sum of £18 per month.  

Given that several of the races this year genuinely resulted in me nodding off, I’m currently evaluating my options.
    I binned the Sky subscription a few years ago and honestly haven't missed it. Channel 4 do a pretty decent job. Given how dull most of the races have been this year the highlights only races have been a blessing. 
  • Great F2 race. Absolute cracker, and more proof that Russell is a great driver. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Great F2 race. Absolute cracker, and more proof that Russell is a great driver. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28674
    edited November 2018
    It's lap 9, and I'm 20k upwind of Yas Marina and it's just started raining here... Could be a wet race..!!!
  • It's lap 9, and I'm 20k upwind of Yas Marina and it's just started raining here... Could be a wet race..!!!
    Hulk's overalls are probably a bit damp now. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It's lap 9, and I'm 20k upwind of Yas Marina and it's just started raining here... Could be a wet race..!!!
    Hulk's overalls are probably a bit damp now. 
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    edited November 2018
    Good race .. glad Hulk's OK. Hamilton showing his class again ... Bottas to be replaced by Ocon in 2020? By his standards he's had a poor year. Mercedes may find in tough next season if Bottas doesn't improve. The Bulls with new engines and Vettel with a classy young team mate who will push him. Could be entertaining ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    edited November 2018
    Good to see Hamilton and Vettel flank Alonso on the slow down lap at the end of the race - some great donuts by all three drivers on the start finish line. Alonso is a class act. I wonder if he'll return in 2020?

Will Smith won the race ... :-) :-)

• ColsCols Frets: 7701
    Here’s a couple of chilling statistics:

Lewis Hamilton has won over 50% of the races since the hybrid era began.

For all his outstanding skill, Juan Pablo Montoya only won 7 races in his F1 career.
  • Cols said:

For all his outstanding skill, Juan Pablo Montoya only won 7 races in his F1 career.
    It's a measure of Mercedes reliability, the skill of Hamilton, and none of his rivals as drivers and teams being able to top the Hammy-Mercedes package. 

• ColsCols Frets: 7701
    Cols said:

It's a measure of Mercedes reliability, the skill of Hamilton, and none of his rivals as drivers and teams being able to top the Hammy-Mercedes package. 
    Absolutely - Mercedes have done a superb job and Hamilton, this year especially, is on top form.

It’s just a vaguely depressing sign of the lack of competitiveness in F1 nowadays, exacerbated by the reluctance of the top teams to pit two equal teammates against each other.
    Cols said:

Er .. tell that to Rosberg .. :-)

• BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5201
    He did have a fair bit of good fortune that year Mr Rosberg....

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Boromedic said:
    History only records the result ...

Jenson Button's joining the C4 commentary team for next year ... wonder who's left. DC or Webber? They actually made a good team. Button is entertaining .. I'm surprised Sky didn't grab him.

• Button is with Sky, not C4
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 23145
    edited November 2018
    Fretwired said:
    Cols said:

Er .. tell that to Rosberg .. :-)

Clearly talking about the entire hybrid era, not one season.  When broken down into the three years that they were in the same team: 

2014. LH 384 to 317. Poles 11-7 NR. Wins 11-4 LH. Champion LH. 
    2015. LH  381 to 322. Poles 11-7 LH. Wins 10-6 LH. Champion LH. 
    2016. NR 385 to 380. Poles 12-8 LH. Wins 10-9 LH. Champion NR. 

Overall: 

Points 1145 to 1024 = LH win
    Poles 34-22 = LH win
    Wins 32-19 = LH win
    Championships: 2-1 = LH win

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 8092
    Fretwired said:
    Boromedic said:
    History only records the result ...

Jenson Button's joining the C4 commentary team for next year ... wonder who's left. DC or Webber? They actually made a good team. Button is entertaining .. I'm surprised Sky didn't grab him.
    I could have SWORN that Crofty and Brundle said during the race commentary that he was joining THEM! 
    Red ones are better. 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 8092
    Red ones are better.