The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26928
    I've also watched most of the Netflix now. Main takeaways are that I like Gunther Steiner a lot more, and DannyRic even more, which I previously thought impossible. 

I'd also like more of the sweary radio stuff on the main feed - that shows a much clearer image of the passion and emotions behind everything that happens during a race. All we usually get are the sanitised PR-faces. What are the odds of getting a NSFW version of everything once the OTT service is finally up to spec? 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    And now we're in race week, so... predictions? 

I'm hoping for a podium for DannyRic, obvs. And I think I'd like LeClerc for the win. If Ferrari are genuinely on top I can see them both taking wins from each other while Hamilton quietly takes the championship by always being quicker than Bottas - very similar to Kimi in 2007.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4181
    I agree, Drive to Survive is excellent and compulsive viewing 
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601

I'm hoping for a podium for DannyRic, obvs. And I think I'd like LeClerc for the win. If Ferrari are genuinely on top I can see them both taking wins from each other while Hamilton quietly takes the championship by always being quicker than Bottas - very similar to Kimi in 2007.
    Vettel is still number one Ferrari driver - mistake. Hamilton will win the mind games - Vettel will once again make mistakes. Hamilton seems to have improved and last season made no serious mistakes. Ferrari had the faster car at the beginning but Vettel couldn't translate it into a bigger enough advantage. Hamilton for F1 champ. Mercedes will gain the tech edge - Bottas will once again be Hamilton's wing man and Ferrari will implode.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4181
    I just want to see Red Bull blow away Renault even though i rate Ricciardo 
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    Ricciardo and Versappen will continue to have ding-dongs even though in different teams.  

LeClerc will outclass Vettel, causing an existential crisis for both himself and his team.  

Hamilton will replace Vettel at Ferrari in 2020. 
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Loving the Netflix show. 

+1 to wanting the full uncensored radio feed!
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22107

Williams will be so slow and are caught and overtaken by competitors in the 2018 race. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7393
    The Williams story seems to be that Lowe never was able to adjust to not being at a team with a far bigger budget. Mercedes response to poor performance and correlation after the first days of testing was to hire 200 contractors to build an additional chassis. Other teams needed to use their engineering chops. Lowe had nothing to contribute apparently. 

The walking cloud of unpleasantness that is Lawrence Stroll also poached Williams' title sponsor at the last minute out of spite. Fingers crossed for some karma there. 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I've also watched most of the Netflix now. Main takeaways are that I like Gunther Steiner a lot more, and DannyRic even more, which I previously thought impossible. 

I'd also like more of the sweary radio stuff on the main feed - that shows a much clearer image of the passion and emotions behind everything that happens during a race. All we usually get are the sanitised PR-faces. What are the odds of getting a NSFW version of everything once the OTT service is finally up to spec? 

I'm against having those kind of feeds in the same way that I dislike stump microphones and ref cameras in rugby. 

I'm against having those kind of feeds in the same way that I dislike stump microphones and ref cameras in rugby. 
    ?
    You mentioned the sweary radio stuff. I don't think it would add anything to the coverage at all, just as the sweary stuff on cricket stump microphones adds nothing. 

edited March 2019
    You mentioned the sweary radio stuff. I don't think it would add anything to the coverage at all, just as the sweary stuff on cricket stump microphones adds nothing. 
    Fair enough. My takeaway from the Netflix doc was that there is actually a lot of “passionately worded” content that gets censored, which actually humanises the drivers and helps them feel like real people who give a shit. Compared with the standard feed which is heavily edited by whichever biased director is working that day, and inevitably just revolves around Grosjean complaining and Alonso asking for more power (see also Button/poor brake balance in recent history). 

• ColsCols Frets: 6988
    I’d prefer for pit to car radio to be banned altogether.  Rather than the drivers being endlessly instructed on when to push, when to hold back, what revs to hold through a certain corner - put it back under the driver’s control to run their own race.  It would certainly introduce more variation.

I thought the sweary content On Netflix was great, but if we’re having to rely on what drivers are saying during a race for entertainment I think we’ve lost our way a bit.
  • mattdavismattdavis Frets: 841
    Having finished the Netflix doc, I’ve come away mainly feeling confused about how I now seem to be in love with Daniel Riccardo. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
     Charlie Whiting has died. Bit of a shock, and not good timing!

He got a lot of stick but was a huge part of the running of the sport. 
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    Just been reading about Charlie.  What a shock.  Sad loss to the sport and huge hole to be filled very quickly.

That’s terrible news.  Charlie Whiting was one of the giants of the sport, and it will be a much poorer place without him.  It’s difficult to think of someone else with such deep knowledge, integrity and quiet authority who commanded universal respect from the teams and drivers.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Mercedes are worryingly fast in FP2.  Were they sandbagging in Barcelona testing, or are Ferrari sandbagging today?
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Cols said:
    Mercedes are worryingly fast in FP2.  Were they sandbagging in Barcelona testing, or are Ferrari sandbagging today?
    Dunno! Delicious though innit?! Can’t wait for qualy.