The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1299
    I'd like to thank Sky for encouraging me to watch the 6minute highlights videos on YouTube and not enduring this stuff live any more.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4915
    Well, the fezzas seem to be doing their best to stuff things up.

Ricciardo's reversing technique needs a bit of working on.

Yep - McLaren seem to have turned up to race this season.

I think Merc are doing the "Ferrari should have beat us" routine really well, from the mind games perspective.

Gunter Steiner is a funny bloke.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 6988
    You know it’s bad when the highlights of the race are one driver reversing into another, and a bunch of balloons on track.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4915
    Cols said:
    You know it’s bad when the highlights of the race are one driver reversing into another, and a bunch of balloons on track.
    Normally it's just a bunch of loons....
    prowla said:
    Cols said:
    Normally it's just a bunch of loons....
    I would’ve settled for that.  They were all in sensible mode this afternoon.
  • shrinkwrapshrinkwrap Frets: 512
    No one notice Lewis looking like The Edge on the podium?
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 541
    I've been a huge F1 fan all my life but I just can't to muster up any enthusiasm for this season. Even when Schumacher and Ferrari dominated it still wasn't as dull as this. I'm still watching but when the chequered flag drops I'm left wondering why I bothered.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4181
    Spain should be just as dull, unless it rains
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3582
    The TV coverage was highlights for two hours, except for the first half hour it was talking heads. Then edited highlights for and hour (including multiple repeats or different angles of the same event). Then another half hour of talking heads. So there was as much none racing as racing. If they'd just show the race we could see it all.

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7392
    Well I enjoyed it

I will
    concede that after a point only Leclerc being on the opposite tyre strategy provided the intrigue, but provide it it did 

Also, I was anti the point for fastest lap thing but it was fun watching how that was playing out 

Red ones are better. 
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    Ferrari ARE faster, but they keep making really silly mistakes at important parts of the weekend. 
    edited May 2019
    Interlagos is for the chop.

Another classic track gone, to be replaced by a boring TilkeDrome.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/interlagos-to-be-dropped-from-2020-calendar/
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26927
    Cols said:
    Imterlagos is for the chop.

Yeah, though there will be a chunky bit of fighting between the parties yet, I reckon. If Bernie was in charge I might suggest it was a tactic to get Interlagos to pay more, but we haven't seen enough from Liberty to know whether they're employ the same tricks.

I can understand a desire to move away from Sao Paulo, as it's a pretty dangerous spot, but the track is one of the all-time greats and has been for almost 50 years, on and off. Is there any chance of having Tilke & Co just rebuild it in Rio? 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22107
    Cols said:

Yeah, though there will be a chunky bit of fighting between the parties yet, I reckon. If Bernie was in charge I might suggest it was a tactic to get Interlagos to pay more, but we haven't seen enough from Liberty to know whether they're employ the same tricks.

I can understand a desire to move away from Sao Paulo, as it's a pretty dangerous spot, but the track is one of the all-time greats and has been for almost 50 years, on and off. Is there any chance of having Tilke & Co just rebuild it in Rio? 
    No chance. Look what they did to Silverstone to make it F1 standard, thus ballsing up a great circuit. 

• sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1299
    Silverstone is one of the best efforts on the current calendar.  
    All tracks change. Even Spa, heralded as one of the greatest ever, is a mere snippet, a watered down shadow, of its former self.

F1 circuits aren't that exciting in general.  If you're lucky they have a long straight and enough width to provide drs overtaking opportunities.  Ironically, as they were designed prior to drs, the straights on the older Tilke circuits are often so long that with drs a battle becomes a non-event.
    Cols said:

It’s about the money in the end.

The Brazilian GP is state subsidised through the local São Paulo government, which is eyeball-deep in debt.  Liberty wants more money from 2020 onwards and Rio is in a position to pay.  A Brazilian GP stays on the calendar, sponsors are happy and we lose another of the truly great circuits.

Unless, of course, it turns into another ‘British GP at Donington’ fiasco.  Which is really quite likely.
    Ferrari snatching a bit more defeat from the jaws of defeat.

They were never going to win on pace this weekend, but their incoherent approach to strategy and driver management potentially cost them a podium spot.
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4908
    ESBlonde said:
    The TV coverage was highlights for two hours, except for the first half hour it was talking heads. Then edited highlights for and hour (including multiple repeats or different angles of the same event). Then another half hour of talking heads. So there was as much none racing as racing. If they'd just show the race we could see it all.

And we got the same again this weekend.  Talk about the Steve Jones Ego Trip...

• shrinkwrapshrinkwrap Frets: 512
    Even the qualifying was dull.
  • AustrianJohnAustrianJohn Frets: 1679
    sinbaadi said:
    I'd like to thank Sky for encouraging me to watch the 6minute highlights videos on YouTube and not enduring this stuff live any more.
    Thanks for that - didn't know it was there.