The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• Van_HaydenVan_Hayden Frets: 437
    Whitmarsh hassle colossally bad decisions regarding cars for years. In fact every winter I curse him for not getting heated seats on his Merc that I ended up buying a few years down the line. I mean, you get a nice new E Class from Stuttgart and you don't get it fully loaded....come on! So thanks for the cold arse, Martin.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26956
    http://en.espnf1.com/mclaren/motorsport/story/121217.html

I suspect the McLaren option thing is because of performance clauses- this year's car has been complete shite so they'll have lost their right to exercise the option and JB will have an out.

As for Honda wanting a Japanese driver, that would only be a good argument if there was a good Japanese driver on the grid. Kobayashi is the best and he's not good enough.

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I think Honda will push for Kobayashi as no 2, or at a push another Jaianese driver as test driver. They'd want it just from a marketing point of view in Japan, and a Japanese driver would attract a lot more sponsorships from Japan.

I also really can't see Perez lasting that long unless he stops crashing into things.

I'd love to see drivers like Riccardo and Di Resta get a decent car. Not sure where the rest of the new talent will come from.

We're coming into an age of pay drivers - the talent currently in F1 is amazing. Lets enjoy it while it lasts....

I'm not convinced they'd pick an average MIJ driver over a better racer. Ultimately it's the WCC position that gives the kudos and they won't want to sacrifice that. 

Perez is looking like another Kovaleinen tbh. Nice chap but not quite as quick as his rookie form indicated. I'd love to see Hulk, DiResta and Ricciardo get better cars but god knows where the generation behind them is going to come from :(
    Possibly - just depends how low McLaren have gone. Nakajima came with Williams' Toyota engine deal iirc
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    Whitmarsh hassle colossally bad decisions regarding cars for years. In fact every winter I curse him for not getting heated seats on his Merc that I ended up buying a few years down the line. I mean, you get a nice new E Class from Stuttgart and you don't get it fully loaded....come on! So thanks for the cold arse, Martin.
    FFS! No heated seats? That's enough to bring back the death penalty!

Damn right.

Although he did leave his address details, passport number and credit card numbers in the car document wallet. Muppet.
    Which pretty much confirms the verdict!

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    http://en.espnf1.com/mclaren/motorsport/story/121217.html

I suspect the McLaren option thing is because of performance clauses- this year's car has been complete shite so they'll have lost their right to exercise the option and JB will have an out.

As for Honda wanting a Japanese driver, that would only be a good argument if there was a good Japanese driver on the grid. Kobayashi is the best and he's not good enough.

Apparently Button's contract is up - it's not a performance related clause. McLaren may look to the future and get some fresh blood on board. I also think Perez is on borrowed time.

And I read Button's comment in the article as a pitch for the Ferrari seat - he maybe just what the team needs as he's a consistent points scorer [something Massa can't do anymore] and team player and Alonso has said in the past he'd be happy to work with Button. He'd also be good for the brand as the UK is now Ferrari's biggest market in Europe and Button doesn't have any of the negative baggage that makes sponsors nervous.

So my bet is Kimi to Red Bull, Jenson to Ferrari and Di Resta to McLaren. Unless Mercedes jump in for Button. One thing's for sure Button, Massa and Kimi will be driving for their careers this weekend. A spicy race in prospect.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11590
    tFB Trader
    Slightly off the current season discussion, but is anyone else looking forward to the new movie Rush that's coming out?

Film actually looks pretty good, and they have been pretty good in terms of insisting on using (or rebuilding) cars from the 1976 season

It was the year I got in F1 ( I was 11) and the bug stayed , but that seasons cars remain some of my favourites.
    The Mclaren M23, Ferrari 312t2, Tyrrell p34, Penske etc

It will be great to see those cars in action again - especially as TV coverage was kind of in it's infancy back then and great footage is somewhat limited.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• musicegbdfmusicegbdf Frets: 409
    Yes , can't wait to see it.
    As to the season , I don't care who wins now as long as it is not Vettel....

I know I am late saying it , but the Webber interview with Clarkson really did say it all...

F1 and touring cars this weekend I think.... a bit of plinking on my wooden woman , weekend complete....

I can dream , I bet "she who must be obeyed" has other ideas !
    I can't wait to see Rush.

Horner's just thrown the cat amongst the pigeons by saying Red Bull are considering another driver other than Fernando or Kimi as they want the strongest line-up possible for 2014. He must be talking about Jenson .... Could Jenson go to Red Bull and Kimi go to McLaren?

I wouldn't mind that. Horner will be talking to everyone who wants to talk, and with their recent form, that'll be every driver free or with an "out clause". I'd really like to see JB in a Red Bull next year, but it won't help with the anti-JB, Lewis-fanboy whingers on forums who still believe Vettel's not actually that good and neither is JB (PlanetF1 forum I'm looking at you...)

Given the only reason Kimi never won a title at Mac was reliability you can imagine he might fancy another go there in the new era of hardly-any-blowups. It'd certainly be interesting to see.
    edited August 2013

This thread is better than Planet F1 forum, and whilst I acknowledge he's a good driver, I'm not a fan of Hamilton, which puts me out of kilter with their forum whingers.

I hope Button goes to either Red Bull, or Ferrari, but preferably Red Bull. Mind you, the FP times don't look too good for him at the mo.

Mercedes and Ferrari struggling after FP2 - Lotus looking good, but ominously Vettel and Webber look strong. However, rain is forecast for Saturday/Sunday ... could help Button.

• musicegbdfmusicegbdf Frets: 409
    edited August 2013
    Ok I will admit to being a Hamilton fan. Yes he is a arrogant little shit , but most of greats , were as well . I do think he is a real exciting racer. Button is better than he appears , he is not that exciting but very clever. The best overall driver .. Alonso , but I dislike him. I used to like Massa , but have gone off him. Would love to see one of the new boys in the RB.
    Look at Moto GP , a Rookie beating the top names with some serious racing
    edited August 2013
    I'm a big JB fan but for me, Alonso is the best driver.

Defiantly not a massive fan of Hamilton. I was more of a fan in the early days. Kind of like JB, but he has had is annoying playboy moments. Really like Webber, and I'm sad to see him leave, but then again not that sad as I follow the WEC more than F1.

Alonso is a great driver, but as much as I hate to admit it so is The Finger. Senna was great but I didn't like him at the time either.

I think the prerequisite of being an F1 driver is being a bit of a twat. They're all self confident & arrogant because they have to be. Doesn't matter if it was Moss, Mansell or Lewis, they're all a bit twatish and the one that's the least twatish gets my vote.

Looking forward to Rush, hoping it'll be up there with Le Mans as a film (even Grand Prix, although the plot was shite). I was born in 76 and I'm glad Hunt won. Nikki would have been a stupid middle name.
  • IanpdqIanpdq Frets: 131
    I would like to see JB get another crack at the title in a decent car but who knows what will happen

Yeah it'd be nice to see him shine again. Can't quite see it happening, of they hadn't built a lemon McClaren MP-4sh/t this year he could have....don't think he'll be no1 again if he goes to a new team.

I did love him put scoring Hamilton though....