The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• TimmyO said:
    I think it’s easier to argue that peak recklessness was the very early days of hay bails, no harness, fireballs and dead spectators 
    ...and cars made of magnesium. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_RA302#:~:text=The magnesium-bodied Honda RA302,Schlesser was killed.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a36902927/1971-porsche-917-kh-magnesium/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Goodwood Revival weekend. Christ I need to go this at some point in the future. The Stirling Moss Memorial race was superb and the Minis in the John Whitmore Trophy is some of the best racing you'll see anywhere. Hoping that the St Mary's Trophy is as good as usual. 

• rlwrlw Frets: 4694
    Best to watch the Revival on tv and avoid all the twats and tossers with fancy old cars who go, well, because it’s Goodwood.
    I went to the first few but became disenchanted as it began to become part of the season for the in crowd.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • rlw said:
    Best to watch the Revival on tv and avoid all the twats and tossers with fancy old cars who go, well, because it’s Goodwood.
    I went to the first few but became disenchanted as it began to become part of the season for the in crowd.
    I’d recommend Donington historic or spa 6 hours
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    VW/Audi group to join F1 with Red Bull? This is interesting ....

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • rlw said:

Are they different from the twats and tossers with fancy old guitars? :dizzy: 

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Martin Brundle in E-type track battle at the Goodwood Revival 2021.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Fretwired said:
    VW/Audi group to join F1 with Red Bull? This is interesting ....

Reasonably plausible, though I'm not sure why it needs a 10 minute video. It is reasonably common knowledge that VW were considering coming in before dieselgate blew up. RB passing the engine tech business to VAG would be a sensible move for both parties (assuming VW wants an entry), with Williams the most likely 3rd team with Capito having been a VW & RB man through the WRC program. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4694
    rlw said:

Yes because at least the people with guitars don't resent you walking through their fancy enclosure in your common clothes while they are all dressed up like something out of Brideshead Revisited.

Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • Ricciardo has confirmed that Netflix were following McLaren last weekend at Monza… looking forward to that episode of Drive to Survive!

That will be a proper feel-good episode :)
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4167
    edited September 2021
    Talking of TV: I watched Schumacher on Netflix last night. If you were even vaguely a fan of his then it’s definitely worth a watch.
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• rlw said:
    rlw said:

Yes because at least the people with guitars don't resent you walking through their fancy enclosure in your common clothes while they are all dressed up like something out of Brideshead Revisited.

I’ve got a fancy old car and a guitar or two. Not sure how I stand, now.

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24249
    edited September 2021
    Martin Whitmarsh has joined Aston Martin.

There goes Seb’s chance of another win. 

EDIT - it appears to be in a role for the entire group rather than the F1 team. Let's hope that continues then!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Whitmarsh isn't a bad hire imo - he's Group CEO, so Otmar will still be running the F1 team as far as I can tell. MW is a numbers guy and assuming I've understood correctly that's basically his AM job now.

Whitmarsh's only real error was authorising the switch in aero concept from 2012 to 2013, which was the beginning of the downfall. Obviously that's a pretty big mistake but must have been made based on data from the aero team, which was evidently not good data! All the bullheadedness that really hit them came from Ron from 2014-2018 until Zak took over
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ColsCols Frets: 6989
    Whitmarsh is a solid people manager, who F1 history remembers for the unsuccessful latter part of his career than the years of success.

I remember him (perhaps unfairly) for installing the wretched matrix structure in McLaren which split the development pillars into aero, mechanical and chassis silos, and ensured that no one person was ultimately accountable for the performance of the finished article.  This was at Ron Dennis’s behest, who was incensed at Adrian Newey getting him over a barrel in contract negotiations; he wanted to ensure no one person had that much power over him again.

He also persuaded Merc to provide Brawn with engines for the 2009 season, which inadvertently laid the foundations for McLaren’s long term decline.

Still miles better than Boullier.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Didn’t someone thump Boullier?

Didn’t someone thump Boullier?
    I don’t recall, but he deserved it.
  • Cols said:

Indeed.

Pretty sure it was when he was at Lotus, maybe an F1 driver. It’s going to bug me now.

Cols said:

Indeed.

Pretty sure it was when he was at Lotus, maybe an F1 driver. It’s going to bug me now.
    Maldonado?  Although he strikes me more like the type who would go full axe murderer rather than settling for a simple punch.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7411
    Cols said:
    Cols said:

Indeed.

Maldonado?  Although he strikes me more like the type who would go full axe murderer rather than settling for a simple punch.
    knowing Maldonado he intended a pummelling but tripped and fell into a wall after the first punch 
    Red ones are better. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom