The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 8092
    I have to say Max walked it this time around. Not sure why they didn't call Checo in earlier to clear Hamster, though. WTF has gone wrong with Bottas? 

To be fair, I'm glad I recorded it and watched it this morning. It wasn't the most exciting race I've ever seen. 
    I don't think anything went wrong with Bottas - it was business as usual. He's never been any good in the Merc in traffic, and this race was bad for everyone for that. 

I look forward to the new cars, just hoping there isn't a clear leader who is way out in front. 
    Yeah I was ready to point fingers at Bottas but when you see Ricciardo having the same struggle (permanently stuck) behind Giovinazzi - I guess that was the race we got. But I still find it hard to imagine that Lewis would have lingered at the back in the same situation - that's the difference. 

If Bottas did let himself down it was at the start - surrendered the racing line, then went entirely passive into the corner - it was Ricciardo's cockup (and I'm surprised we heard no more mention of that) but if Bottas was either hustling more or better still covering left he'd not have been there to get hit (he says from his armchair....) 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyO said:
     But I still find it hard to imagine that Lewis would have lingered at the back in the same situation - that's the difference. 

Yep. Lewis would at least have been hassling the team for a strategy change - different tyres or more stops or *anything*. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 6223
    TimmyO said: .................(he says from his armchair....) 
    We all know this is where the best driving is done!
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5201
    If Lewis hadn't accidently turned on his brake magic at Baku, he''d still be leading the title by 6 points or so at the mo. Max has matured and finally has the package to win the title aided by Honda finally making an engine that doesn't break, RB have had a great car most years, it's just been hamstrung by engines.

As much as I think Max is an utter cunt, as is whinger spice, they will win the title and deservedly so. Unfortunately just in time for a reg change and I'm pretty sure Merc having put so much into next year instead of this year, will be back in front for 2022. Thats Max's next challenge, to win in a different setup, which is Vettels albatross, he won 4 titles in one era and then fell off massively. Here's to next season, and seeing if the Ferraris or Mclarens can step up again. 

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6511
    I'm a big LH fan, but rather hope that the RB challenge is real and long-lasting. I can't warm to MV, but it's clear he's the real deal, too.

If LH digs deep enough to win this season from his current position, there can surely be no doubt about the GOAT debate. But I think he'll need a DNF from MV, and that'd be a shame.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    Come to think of it, I didn't see any race stewards' inquiries at all. Did they all behave themselves, or what?

• DontgiveupyourdayjobDontgiveupyourdayjob Frets: 4120
    edited November 2021
    Boromedic said:
    If Lewis hadn't accidently turned on his brake magic at Baku, he''d still be leading the title by 6 points or so at this point.

As much as I think Max is an utter cunt, as is whinger spice, they will win the title and deservedly so. Unfortunately just in time for a reg change and I'm pretty sure Merc having put so much into next year instead of this year, will be back in front for 2022. Thats Max's next challenge, to win in a different setup, which is Vettels albatross, he won 4 titles in one era and then fell off massively. Here's to next season, and seeing if the Ferraris or Mclarens can step up again. 
    Lewis only had that chance to win in Baku due to Max's blowout, so really that should have been Max's win in the bag and an even bigger title lead.

If 'ifs and buts' were candy and nuts....
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7701
    Come to think of it, I didn't see any race stewards' inquiries at all. Did they all behave themselves, or what?
    I think they all dozed off after the first couple of laps.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Cols said:
    I was going to say its because no one could get near enough to anyone else to cause trouble… same same
    Cols said:
    I was going to say its because no one could get near enough to anyone else to cause trouble… same same
    There were a couple of “no further action” decisions - Brundle commented that they seemed to be in a good mood 
    Red ones are better. 
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5201
    edited November 2021
    Boromedic said:
    If Lewis hadn't accidently turned on his brake magic at Baku, he''d still be leading the title by 6 points or so at this point.

Lewis only had that chance to win in Baku due to Max's blowout, so really that should have been Max's win in the bag and an even bigger title lead.

If 'ifs and buts' were candy and nuts....
    Aye as ever there are multiple possibilities over the season, Max deserves it if he wins. 

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

• WeZ84WeZ84 Frets: 176
    After that Mexico race, I can't wait for the new rules next season. After the first corner it was basically a parade. We've had a few races like that this season where someone is chasing down the person in front (In Mexico it was Perez catching Hamilton, in Austin was Hamilton chasing down Verstappen) and you hope that something exciting will happen and the commentators get excited and get your hopes up for a great battle then when the gap is closed they get to about 2 seconds behind and can't get any closer or pass. 

If the changes to the rules for 2022 work as intended we should hopefully see some more wheel to wheel racing and the car doing the chasing will actually have a battle with the car they are chasing instead of getting to about 2 seconds behind and having to cool everything down then give up.
    ^ I don't hold out much hope for a sudden increase in overtaking chances and excitement. I think the engineering is too good.
    goldtop said:
    ^ I don't hold out much hope for a sudden increase in overtaking chances and excitement. I think the engineering is too good.
    did you see the stuff that F1 put out about downforce levels at certain distances behind the new style cars? 
    Red ones are better. 
    TimmyO said:
    goldtop said:
    did you see the stuff that F1 put out about downforce levels at certain distances behind the new style cars? 
    https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.10-things-you-need-to-know-about-the-all-new-2022-f1-car.4OLg8DrXyzHzdoGrbqp6ye.html ;
    Red ones are better. 
    TimmyO said:
    TimmyO said:
    goldtop said:
    https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.10-things-you-need-to-know-about-the-all-new-2022-f1-car.4OLg8DrXyzHzdoGrbqp6ye.html ;
    Getting a 404 on that. 

In general, I just think that in F1, modelling has become 'the tail that wags the dog', and I suspect that competition means team engineers will always find a way around TPTB's efforts.

My fingers are crossed though. :)
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 5059
    @goldtop try this:

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.10-things-you-need-to-know-about-the-all-new-2022-f1-car.4OLg8DrXyzHzdoGrbqp6ye.html

I've found that a lot of copy-and-pasted URLs have 6 spurious characters at the end, beginning with a % sign - delete them and they work OK.

goldtop said:
    TimmyO said:
    TimmyO said:
    goldtop said:
    Getting a 404 on that. 

In general, I just think that in F1, modelling has become 'the tail that wags the dog', and I suspect that competition means team engineers will always find a way around TPTB's efforts.

My fingers are crossed though. :)
    https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.10-things-you-need-to-know-about-the-all-new-2022-f1-car.4OLg8DrXyzHzdoGrbqp6ye.html
    Red ones are better. 
  • Yeah, they've made massive efforts to structure the new regs around forcing cars that can follow other cars but still be quicker than anything else around a circuit. 

Time will tell how much it works but the data they've presented seems to suggest a huge improvement. Now they just need to cut the length by 2 feet as well
  • Aren’t they something like 70kg heavier too?