The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6512
    Thanks for the corrected URL (I scrolled through dozens of stories on the Technical articles area, but didn't find this.)

It certainly sounds compelling. Hopefully it yields benefits.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28674
    edited November 2021
    Ahh, I might have to go the AD race now - I wasn’t planning on it but they just announced the Foo Fighters are playing the evening concert after the race… D 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 5059
    Is it a sprint qualifying this weekend?  Beeb says it is, but Ch 4 and the telly guide say qualifying is on Saturday.

• Yep sprint weekend so quali tonight, sprint tomorrow and race Sunday, all at different times of course because god forbid they might make anything easy
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 5059
    Ta @stickyfiddle - for once the beeb gets it right!  :)

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25492
    F1.com is the best for the schedule - you can choose your time or track time.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• Have to remember to get the fantasy F1 team selection in this afternoon, as I don't think you can change it after 7pm! 
    Hamilton has a new ICE - 5 place grid penalty.

• Have to remember to get the fantasy F1 team selection in this afternoon, as I don't think you can change it after 7pm! 
    I just need to see whether to switch Mclaren back in for Ferrari..
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12878
    Yep sprint weekend so quali tonight, sprint tomorrow and race Sunday, all at different times of course because god forbid they might make anything easy
    Unless I’m missing something C4 doesn’t seem to be covering the qualis? Sprint and race highlights are listed but not qualis. 
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    edited November 2021
    You are correct in your assumption.

• Wow, that was some serious pace from Hamilton! 4 tenths quicker over such a short lap is seriously impressive.

Guess it vindicates Merc's decision to take the penalty in this race. That pace combined with the extra points on offer for the Sprint Race could soften the blow considerably.
    Hamilton referred to stewards for DRS infringement.

Looks like the flap opened too far!

• Hamilton referred to stewards for DRS infringement.

Looks like the flap opened too far!
    Oops! He was rapid on the straights!

Didn't even think that would be possible!
  • sammysabersammysaber Frets: 707
    edited November 2021
    Latest update I can get is that Hamilton's car is facing two unrelated issues - the DRS infringement as well as the flexing rear wing.
    Edit- meeting finished.
  • Now Verstappen is apparently under investigation over a potential Parc Ferme breach! 

I'd love to see a race with those two starting from the back row - be great fun, like a touring car race when they do reverse grids.
  • ColsCols Frets: 7701
    Now Verstappen is apparently under investigation over a potential Parc Ferme breach! 

Apparently he’s under investigation for walking over to Hamilton’s rear wing in park ferme and waggling the DRS flap back and forth.  The brute.

I suspect the worst that’ll happen is the stewards saying “Max, we know it’s difficult, but try not to be a dick”

Having said that, could Merc argue that Max’s tampering resulted in the technical infringement?  Or invalidated the evidence?
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 8092
    edited November 2021
    Cols said:
    Now Verstappen is apparently under investigation over a potential Parc Ferme breach! 

Apparently he’s under investigation for walking over to Hamilton’s rear wing in park ferme and waggling the DRS flap back and forth.  The brute.

I suspect the worst that’ll happen is the stewards saying “Max, we know it’s difficult, but try not to be a dick”

Having said that, could Merc argue that Max’s tampering resulted in the technical infringement?  Or invalidated the evidence?
    Yeah I saw the fan video of it. 

Even if it’s just an unfortunate coincidence it gives the stewards a headache - a championship-affecting penalty for Lewis that draws a shitload of negative media because of Max’s ill-advised fiddling - it may make it more likely that they don’t issue a penalty 

I suppose it must create some level of doubt over the reliability of the post race test - and that may be all they need to duck a big penalty 
    Red ones are better. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28674
    edited November 2021
    Yeah. The stewards are buggered either way. Unless there is a video that demonstrates Max definitely didn’t actually touch the Merc there is a clear argument for Merc to say “it was fine until Max touched it”, where otherwise it would be a slam-dunk DQ from quali. And of course if Ham gets anything less than a full DQ from the session the Maxolytes will be up in arms with claims of bias. 

It’ll be a shame if it ruins what was shaping up to be a great weekend of racing with a possibility of keeping the title fight going down to the wire
  • Here’s video of the alleged infringement by Max https://youtu.be/60R_BX979-4

here’s a scan of the FIA rules, 2.5.1 and related discussion on reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comments/qsqbxr/article_251_parc_ferm%C3%A9_conditions_of_the_fia/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

Racefans says parc ferme conditions start at q1 but I couldn’t find the specific reg language

https://www.racefans.net/2021/11/13/verstappen-faces-investigation-over-parc-ferme-rules-breach-after-touching-hamiltons-car/

Two wrongs don’t make a right but if penalties are dished out on clear cut rules let’s hope they are given proportionately and fairly. 

The commentary on YouTube videos and in articles from what seems to be a polarised fanbase is new to me. I didn’t realise they felt so passionately about one single driver. In a season like this one, I’m happy that there’s been enough going on in the midfield and throughout to make it all pretty interesting to watch.