The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25492
    Lewis was mighty in the sprint.

Damn! 

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • One of Lewis’ best drives, I think. He might still win tomorrow if the strategy plays out in his favour
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8828
    tFB Trader
    I didn’t see it but that’s a kick ass performance from Lewis in the sprint race!
  • Tremendous drive from Hamilton 
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Lewis was mighty in the sprint.

Damn! 

Understatement. I never saw that coming - I thought he'd be stuck behind cars. That can't be just a new engine. Vettel must be worried if Bottas can stay in front and back into a rampaging Hamilton. That was the Lewis of old.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25492
    Horner is whinging again!

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• Loved Toto's messgae to Lewis at the end :3
  • sweepy said:
    I really do detest this “ Sprint Race” farce, we have 6 of them next year ! thanks  for ruining the sport Liberty 
    erm?  do you want to reconsider?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4263
    edited November 2021
    sweepy said:
    I really do detest this “ Sprint Race” farce, we have 6 of them next year ! thanks  for ruining the sport Liberty 
    Nope, still dislike the format. DRS train exacerbated by the shorter race and the only driver to make any real gains was Lewis, no surprise there at all
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1421
    At least he had to make the passes.  In a full race he'd pit and undercut everyone, this was much more entertaining.
  • ColsCols Frets: 7701
    Verstappen should be feeling distinctly uncomfortable about the race, considering the ease with which Hamilton carved his way through the field and the fact that, even with DRS, he never looked close to being able to set up a pass on Bottas.
  • sweepy said:
    sweepy said:
    Nope, still dislike the format. DRS train exacerbated by the shorter race and the only driver to make any real gains was Lewis, no surprise there at all
    Yep. This was an exciting sprint but only because Lewis started last. Otherwise it was Sainz being a legend on lap 1 and Norris muscling past Leclerc and nothing really else. 

My position is unchanged - make quali set the grid for both races, but have the sprint start in reverse order and give ~half points for the top 10 (or 8). 
    tFB Trader
    If Liberty really want to tart things up then I say do a reverse starting grid for the race. At least Mick would get to see what the front of an F1 race looks like (even for just 100 metres) :D
  • If Liberty really want to tart things up then I say do a reverse starting grid for the race. At least Mick would get to see what the front of an F1 race looks like (even for just 100 metres) :D
    Trouble with that is it creates a perverse incentive to do badly in the sprint, which is only countered by giving more points for the sprint, which in turn makes the GP look less prestigious. You need every driver to have an incentive to get past the guy ahead of him all the time. 
  • If Liberty really want to tart things up then I say do a reverse starting grid for the race. At least Mick would get to see what the front of an F1 race looks like (even for just 100 metres) :D
    Trouble with that is it creates a perverse incentive to do badly in the sprint, which is only countered by giving more points for the sprint, which in turn makes the GP look less prestigious. You need every driver to have an incentive to get past the guy ahead of him all the time. 
    The idea was to have the reverse sprint grid set by championship ranking rather than a Friday quali. 
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    The sprint race format is a load of bollocks IMO.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    If Liberty really want to tart things up then I say do a reverse starting grid for the race. At least Mick would get to see what the front of an F1 race looks like (even for just 100 metres) :D
    The incentive would be that for the original qualifying for sprint race and then the sprint race itself they offer points for actually finishing first/fastest. That way, you take points for qualifying and spring success then start the main race in reverse order. 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 8092
    What about?
    Red ones are better. 
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    TimmyO said:
    What about?

It's immaterial.

Horner whinging is just like him breathing.

The idea was to have the reverse sprint grid set by championship ranking rather than a Friday quali. 
    That could also work. You just need something that puts fast guys at the back and doesn't make them want to intentionally go slower in any previous session to ensure a good starting position in a later one. 

The sprint race format is a load of bollocks IMO.
    Also this, at least in current form