The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    I strongly suspect that if Mateschitz thought Horner was “shit at the job”, he’d have been shown the door ages ago. The fact he remains in post speaks volumes for his perceived capabilities.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1421
    I do also think that the weakness of the FIA has snowballed this stuff.  They are influenced by the noise, the complainers, the powerful.  Stewards are inconsistent at best, and biased at worst.  

They could have shut down Horner and RBR, but now Horner sees and takes every opportunity to exert some influence, and is constantly at one extreme of "that's not fair!!" or the other, either aggressively defensive or attacking, which is much like Max's attitude on track (again, allowed to get this far by stewards and FIA).

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28389
    I don't know why, but I'm just not very interested in Hamilton. Maybe it's my general disinterest in F1 for many years now, but back in the day I loved James Hunt, Nigel Mansell and Damon Hill, I soooo wanted them to win. I honestly don't care who is World champ, it's just a case of may the best man win. 

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    sinbaadi said:
    I do also think that the weakness of the FIA has snowballed this stuff.  They are influenced by the noise, the complainers, the powerful.  Stewards are inconsistent at best, and biased at worst.  

The stewards in Brazil included ex-Red Bull and Torro Rosso driver Vitantonio Liuzzi who was the driver steward. Whilst there's no evidence he was biased in favour of Max Verstappen and Red Bull it doesn't look good on social media which thrives on conspiracy theories.  The FIA should perhaps consider not using people with close links to the leading teams as stewards.

And prior to Sunday's race, we saw Marco and Tost having a chat and Marco and Gassly having a chat. Then this happened - read some of the comments:

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 8085
    edited November 2021
    axisus said:
    I don't know why, but I'm just not very interested in Hamilton. Maybe it's my general disinterest in F1 for many years now, but back in the day I loved James Hunt, Nigel Mansell and Damon Hill, I soooo wanted them to win. I honestly don't care who is World champ, it's just a case of may the best man win. 

While I thought my comment was funny, on reflection I've decided to remove it. 
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EmielEmiel Frets: 222
    Alpha Tauri is Red Bulls satellite team, of course they aren’t going to trouble Verstappen. Just like it’s said that Wolff has used Aston Martin and McLaren before to file a protest against rival teams. There are millions at stake and teams will do anything in their power to weaken others. F1 has so many restrictions regarding the design of these cars that everything that seems different is immediately suspicious. The media is all to eager to exploit all the discussions. Same with the ongoing debate round track limits. I often wish we’d go back to having gravel traps instead of these huge tarmac run-off areas. That will kill a lot of the constant debate of who’s in the right and who’s in the wrong.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 8092
    I'd have loved it if instead of his "spicy engine" comment Toto had said "we'll get out our bendiest wing for the next race" with a wink to camera 
    Red ones are better. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4713
    I'm just going to leave this here, go Kimi!!

• dazzajldazzajl Frets: 6224
    DesVegas said:

I love how it’s just not possible to caricature Kimi. That’s just him.  <3 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 8092
    DesVegas said:

Haha like it 
    Red ones are better. 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12881
    edited November 2021
    axisus said:

He’s the consummate professional and therefore very selective and thoughtful about what he says to the media. I think that makes him come across as a bit vapid and too eager to say the right thing. He’s undoubtedly a superb driver, probably the best I’ll ever see in my lifetime, but he doesn’t seem to have much character beyond being Mr Nice. Mansell and especially Hunt could, and did, say what they liked, but they lived in a totally different era for F1.

I’d like to hear what Hamilton really thinks about Max and his antics, without all the media filtering getting in his way. 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25495
    boogieman said:
    axisus said:

He’s the consummate professional and therefore very selective and thoughtful about what he says to the media. I think that makes him come across as a bit vapid and too eager to say the right thing. He’s undoubtedly a superb driver, probably the best I’ll ever see in my lifetime, but he doesn’t seem to have much character beyond being Mr Nice. Mansell and especially Hunt could, and did, say what they liked, but they lived in a totally different era for F1.

I’d like to hear what Hamilton really thinks about Max and his antics, without all the media filtering getting in his way. 
    The interview he gives the day after retirement could be interesting!

But then again he's bound to be a brand ambassador for something and will still have to behave.

But I really want to see "You want to know who the biggest *** ***** ** **** ** *** in F1 is, well I can do better than that - I'll rank them in order...."

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• boogieman said:
    axisus said:

The interview he gives the day after retirement could be interesting!

But then again he's bound to be a brand ambassador for something and will still have to behave.

But I really want to see "You want to know who the biggest *** ***** ** **** ** *** in F1 is, well I can do better than that - I'll rank them in order...."

Of all the current crop of F1 drivers, I'd say keep an eye out for Kimi Raikkonen or Kevin Magnussen's autobiographies :lol:

Or Max for that matter: I can't imagine him being very diplomatic in a post-career autobiography.
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9100
    So….

who is going to take the title this season?

How d’you bet?
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4263
    poopot said:
    So….

who is going to take the title this season?

How d’you bet?
    Lewis has the momentum 
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4713
    Yep. I'm going for Lewis too. I hope Max does it but can't stop thinking it'll be Lew
  • Honestly, no idea, but I hope it is Hamilton. I just don't like the verstappen / red bull combo.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • It will come down to Abu Dhabi…. Lewis will lead, Max will deliberately take him out and claim the title…
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6515
    One DNF pretty much kills off LH's chances, and with RB's morals and LH's need to push harder than ever, I don't like the probabilities.
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5201
    I'm hoping Lewis takes the title after RBs shenanigans since Silverstone really (although they have been dicks for a while before that!).

I wouldn't put a dirty trick past them either, but I've been wondering if RB are managing an engine or two trying to avoid a penalty, hence the loss of pace perhaps? It's going to be a fascinating last two races either way, both circuits suit the Mercedes a bit more too.

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...