The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8828
    tFB Trader
    There is absolutely no way Verstappen would be penalised in such a way that it influences the outcome of the final race and therefor the championship. This isn’t about whether or not Max is a shitty driver (which in my opinion, he is) and everything to do with viewing figures and money. 

You really think the FIA are about to disrupt what’s going to happen in the next race?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • After the turn 1 incident, Horner comes on radio 
    ‘max? max? Ok so let’s give position back to Hamilton, of course let’s do that strategically…*slam*….give it back…I don’t know what’s going on here Max, you tried to let him past, he’s not going past.” A lap or so later ‘ok push on max’. A few laps later ‘max could you let Hamilton through, on exit 23…just let him through now as soon as you can’ max then let’s ham past and quickly overtakes again with DRS. One lap later ‘max, we’ve just been given a 5 sec penalty’ at the same time Hamilton passes again. Max gets pushed wide. ‘Ok Max, you didn’t need to do that’ (presumably referring to the last Hamilton overtake, but it’s hard to work out whether max let up at that stage or if ham was simply ready to pounce again) 

Max’s post race interview he says something along the lines of ‘I took the foot off/let off, I’m not sure why he ran into me’. The telemetry tells a different story.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28679
    edited December 2021
    The Stewards' verdict confirmed that they consider Max's actions to be effectively brake checking - he slowed gently and then braked. RB can complain but I'm pretty sure there is nothing in the rules that says you're obligated to overtake someone unless instructed by race control. 
    In deciding to penalise the driver of Car 33, the key point for the Stewards was that the driver of Car 33 then braked suddenly (69 bar) and significantly, resulting in 2.4g deceleration. Whilst accepting that the driver of Car 44 could have overtaken Car 33 when that car first slowed, we understand why he (and the driver of Car 33) did not wish to be the first to cross the DRS.

Obviously the FIA is dying to have the title down to the wire, and I have a feeling they'd like to see Max win it, so where they had a choice between grid penalty for AD and meaningless 10 seconds added to his time they've gone with the latter. I just hope if he takes Lewis out (or tries) next week that the stewards have the bollocks to DQ him for it.

I'm going to be there in person (sitting at the chicane at the end of the back straight, assuming that's the best show at seeing action) and have a feeling it's going to be the most stressful afternoon of my life! 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9100

I'm going to be there in person (sitting at the chicane at the end of the back straight, assuming that's the best show at seeing action) and have a feeling it's going to be the most stressful afternoon of my life! 
    Wear something that’s gonna stand out… and make sure you wave every time a car goes past.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28679
    edited December 2021
    poopot said:

Wear something that’s gonna stand out… and make sure you wave every time a car goes past.
    I'll be there in my vintage Damon Hill hat, as usual! 

Then it's a couple of hours of Foo Fighting after the podium so I'm guessing the rest of my outfit will involve a plaid shirt of some description D 

• We should be sitting at the nearest end of it in the this picture, so we can see along the main straight as well

We won’t spot that!! 

Need something bright and unique!…

wear a frock, flirt with the camera guy etc!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • poopot said:
    We won’t spot that!! 

Need something bright and unique!…

wear a frock, flirt with the camera guy etc!
    :D 

I could wear orange but I suspect that won't stand out so much... 

I was hoping to get main straight tickets in front of the podium but I was too slow :( 
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 528
    tFB Trader
    IMO a few rules need changing. Tyres should not be allowed to be changed under red flags unless punctured (to stop drivers deliberately flat spotting tyres on the way to the pit lane with an "unless damaged" rule).
    When ordered to give a place to another driver it should be done within one lap by moving off the racing line and slowing and the place must be held for 2 corners before being allowed to attack again.

You also have to wonder what exactly Verstappen needs to do to be given a meaningful penalty. In one race he forced Hamilton off track twice and deliberately brake-checked him causing a collision and all his penalties together still don't affect his finishing position.

Verstappen is absolutely the type of person to try and take Hamilton out next race to win the championship on most wins countback. If he did so I'm not convinced the stewards would even penalise him for it-he'd probably just get another 2 points on his license!

• ColsCols Frets: 7701
    Delighted just to hear Karen Horner moan some more 
    (Batting eyelids innocently)

”I have no idea why he ran into the back of you like that. It made no sense at all”

”Gee, I don’t know boss.  Maybe it was something to do with the way I wandered across the track and then jumped on the brakes?

Quite telling how Verstappen accelerated briskly  away directly after the incident in a “job done” manner.

Verstappen is absolutely the type of person to try and take Hamilton out next race to win the championship on most wins countback. If he did so I'm not convinced the stewards would even penalise him for it-he'd probably just get another 2 points on his license!

Dunno… if he did that the whole of the sport would know he didn’t deserve the win… I think that would sit wrong even for Karen and Marko…

that said, he’ll prolly do something dangerous/stupid so who knows…

I want to know if merc have use their “spicy” engine… the reason I say that is because they didn’t seem to have that much of a speed advantage over rb… maybe they’re saving that for next week!.
  • poopot said:

Dunno… if he did that the whole of the sport would know he didn’t deserve the win… I think that would sit wrong even for Karen and Marko…

that said, he’ll prolly do something dangerous/stupid so who knows…

I want to know if merc have use their “spicy” engine… the reason I say that is because they didn’t seem to have that much of a speed advantage over rb… maybe they’re saving that for next week!.
    He'd just do it by running them both into a wall at the 8/9 chicane where Hulk ended up upside down a couple of seasons back. No different to his usual thing of running people out of space, except Yas doesn't have many spots you could do it. He'll claim his usual "I was in front, he should have yielded" ad the stewards won't have the balls to DQ him from the whole championship. 

I hope I'm wrong.
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1421
    How can RBR think that it's okay to let a car through in such a way that means that you can immediately take it back?!  
    "Let him by at the right moment so that you can DRS back past?"

In 2008 Hamilton was penalised for cutting the corner to pass Kimi and then letting Kimi through only to then drive up the inside into t1 at Spa.  Stewards said that he'd "gained an advantage", which he had!

If a driver can keep a position because he has engineered the "giving it back" then obviously that is "gaining an advantage"!

The stewards are letting this get out of control.  Someone will end up getting hurt with stunts like Max's going unpunished.
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 528
    tFB Trader
    The Max fanboys are melting down on Twitter. Claiming that the stewards and FIA are deliberately helping Lewis get an 8th title.
    Pretty sure any impartial viewers would say up until this race all evidence was to the opposite. (Not saying there is a conspiracy by FIA/stewards but Verstappen has been allowed to get away with driving recklessly for a long time)

They are even accusing Brundle of being biased for Hamilton, which I don't think he is - in fact I think Brundle dislikes Hamilton. If even Brundle says Verstappen is over the line, it must have been pretty serious/obvious breach of the rules!
    Max will be using a different car next week apparently!…

7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • poopot said:
    Max will be using a different car next week apparently!…

Genuine lol :)

Honestly though, there's a couple of decent kart tracks at Yas and the nearby Al Forsan. I'd love to see them sort it out there, with no team principles, no data and no strategists
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 8093
    The point here for Max and RB to take away - if they can only drop the histrionics long enough - is that they couldn’t race because of the damage caused in the collision, which the data shows was caused by Max’s wilful actions.

If you eschew accountability you miss the opportunity to improve 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25495
    Max has been nominated for the international bit of Sports Personality of the Year

:D :D :D :D :D :D 

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• HaychHaych Frets: 6159
    Max has been nominated for the international bit of Sports Personality of the Year

Yeah, I noticed the fans voted him driver of the race too.  Is this collective sarcasm at work?

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25495
    Haych said:

Yeah, I noticed the fans voted him driver of the race too.  Is this collective sarcasm at work?
    Does the Driver of the Day thing get voted on in all countries?

I could imagine the Saudi's voting for anyone but LH for the rainbow lid and comments.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd