The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• @Timmyo spot on. And it looks like they messed up the tyre strategy but didn't want to admit that on TV... 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • markr76markr76 Frets: 410
    edited December 2021
    Haych said:
    Max has been nominated for the international bit of Sports Personality of the Year

D D D D D D 

Yeah, I noticed the fans voted him driver of the race too.  Is this collective sarcasm at work?
    Does the Driver of the Day thing get voted on in all countries?

I could imagine the Saudi's voting for anyone but LH for the rainbow lid and comments.
    You can vote for it on the official f1 website. So I guess anyone around the world who’s interested can vote.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4263
    I did hear a fair few Boos aimed at Lewis on the podium and afterwards
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10884
    sweepy said:
    I did hear a fair few Boos aimed at Lewis on the podium and afterwards

A hell of a lot more directed at Max though. 

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Whiting would have read Max the riot act after Brazil, if not earlier

Definitely. In that article that fretwired posted it mentions about Charlie adding to the drivers notes because of moves Max had been making (I think that's around the time Danny Ric started calling moving under braking "doing a Max"); there's no way he'd have let things get to this stage. In the shots you see of Michael Masi during the race, he always looks stressed and harassed to me. It's not a job I'd want in a million years, but he definitely gives the impression of someone who's way out of his depth.
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

Definitely. In that article that fretwired posted it mentions about Charlie adding to the drivers notes because of moves Max had been making (I think that's around the time Danny Ric started calling moving under braking "doing a Max"); there's no way he'd have let things get to this stage. In the shots you see of Michael Masi during the race, he always looks stressed and harassed to me. It's not a job I'd want in a million years, but he definitely gives the impression of someone who's way out of his depth.
    Bingo.

I think I'd love his job. I'm well used to juggling a load of bullshit from ten different parties with conflicting desires. 
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    I’ve just finished watching it. What a shit track, more like a destruction derby oval. Hope they don’t go back there. Far too many crashes, safety cars and virtual safety cars, to make it a decent race track.

I shall look forward to something better next weekend.

• ColsCols Frets: 7701
    You know things are bad when someone says they’re looking forward to Abu Dhabi.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 6225
    Cols said:
    You know things are bad when someone says they’re looking forward to Abu Dhabi.
    So so this!!
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6516
    Would love to be a fly on the wall for the Abu Dhabi GP drivers' briefing. Wonder if TPTB will float the idea that a driver could be disqualified for the whole season (a la Schumacher)?
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    edited December 2021
    goldtop said:
    Would love to be a fly on the wall for the Abu Dhabi GP drivers' briefing. Wonder if TPTB will float the idea that a driver could be disqualified for the whole season (a la Schumacher)?

Masi wouldn't have the balls to do that - just listen to his negotiation with Red Bull on swapping Verstappen and Hamilton. I couldn't see Whiting doing something like that - he'd have just told Horner to let Hamilton through. Masi comes across as weak and indecisive. In fairness, he hasn't been doing the job for very long but even so, the drivers seem unsure what is allowed when it comes to overtaking whereas Masi insists the rules are clear.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!

Bingo.

I think I'd love his job. I'm well used to juggling a load of bullshit from ten different parties with conflicting desires. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7701
    Having difficulty letting other cars past seems to be a family trait.  Here’s Verstappen the Elder screwing Montoya out of what would have been his first Grand Prix victory.

https://youtu.be/nJzlq5DDfJo 

• SimonhSimonh Frets: 1360
    oh that is good! seems the apple doesn't fall far from the tree at all does it.
  • Yeah, Jr is a much better driver than his dad was, but still a twat...
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5201
    edited December 2021
    Here's hoping Max tries some ridiculous move at Abu Dhabi and gets taken out of the race. Karen and others were saying Max is brave with his bold moves, I'd say it's more he dives in and knows the pack will avoid him so he gets away with it most of the time. It's not bold or clever it's playing the odds as he's been fortunate most of the time. Like his cheeky tactics with going wide and then saying he lost control, it's dirty and unpredictable driving which is why he lacks respect. 

The irony in all this is he's a great driver, he doesn't need to do it. Not to mention Horner saying they miss Charlie and need him back in race control, yet Charlie would have penalised Max probably worse than Masi did. 

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ^^ Wis

I was actually warming to Max in the early part of the season when he was winning on merit and seemed to have lightened up. It's real shame because he's so damn quick it'd be incredible if he had the restraint to race cleanly as well
  • SimonhSimonh Frets: 1360
    I am begining to think Max doesn't posses the capability to drive clean, his driving "style" is so ingrained with him and he is used to such leeway from the stewards and other drivers that he can't drive any other way. Ocon last year is a perfect example of this.