The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• SimonhSimonh Frets: 1360
    Button only has a single WDC.

Seems to me like Marko is trying to avoid pissing Masi off any more than he already has in the event of any more potential incidents, typical no-apology apology!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 6159
    Simonh said:
    Button only has a single WDC.
    My bad, you're right.  The multiple part went out my head as I was thinking.  Can't retain too much information these days.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• dazzajl said:
    Hakkinen, Alonso and Raikkonen were all in the hard but fair category. Unless I’ve forgotten some poor moves and assuming you believe Alonso didn’t know anything about ‘that crash’. 
    Yeah, Alonso always kept his bullshit to the off-track politics - that's actually half the reason he doesn't have more titles, because it made RB and Merc not want him. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 8093
    dazzajl said:
    Hakkinen, Alonso and Raikkonen were all in the hard but fair category. Unless I’ve forgotten some poor moves and assuming you believe Alonso didn’t know anything about ‘that crash’. 
    Yeah, Alonso always kept his bullshit to the off-track politics - that's actually half the reason he doesn't have more titles, because it made RB and Merc not want him. 
    Alonso goes on the "nope" pile for me - things like when he stayed stationary in the pit slot at the end of qualifying so that Lewis would not make it out to do a final run, but he would (drawing a fine for the team and a penalty for himself) tell you who he is. 
    Red ones are better. 
    Mansell? I was only around and aware enough for his 1992 season but he always seemed pretty clean. Not actually multiple. 

Hakkinen was always good - certainly compared to Schumi
    I'd forgotten Hakkinen had 2 (just had to look it up) - yep he'd be on my "good guy" pile 
    Red ones are better. 
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 6225
    TimmyO said:
    dazzajl said:
    Alonso goes on the "nope" pile for me - things like when he stayed stationary in the pit slot at the end of qualifying so that Lewis would not make it out to do a final run, but he would (drawing a fine for the team and a penalty for himself) tell you who he is. 
    So are we left with the conclusion that the only truly honourable drivers in the modern era are the Finns?
    dazzajl said:
    TimmyO said:
    dazzajl said:
    So are we left with the conclusion that the only truly honourable drivers in the modern era are the Finns?
    Interesting isn't it that we've not commented on Hamilton yet? 

Where does he go? 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SimonhSimonh Frets: 1360
    Depends on if you ask a red bull/max fan or not I suspect...
  • TimmyO said:

Where does he go? 
    Generally very clean, but happy to push as hard as the other guy when absolutely necessary (i.e Rosberg, Max)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Simonh said:
    Depends on if you ask a red bull/max fan or not I suspect...
    I'm asking anyone who cares to comment
    Red ones are better. 
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 6225
    TimmyO said:
    dazzajl said:
    TimmyO said:
    dazzajl said:

Where does he go? 
    He’s certainly been a very whiny game player out of the car. I’m not actually that sure about in it. I’ve warmed to him a bit in the last year or so and always admired him but really not been a fan so my view on him might be a bit slanted.  
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1490
    TimmyO said:

Agreed.   I like Alonso's driving, and in more recent times his sense of humour but he thinks he's more important in F1 than he actually is IMHO.

Marc Priestley's book goes into some detail about the whole Spygate thing at McLaren with Alonso making threats to Ron Dennis.  To be fair though, Hamilton doesn't come out of that very well either.

The 'GP2 engine' complaints during his second McLaren spell did him no favours either.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    Looking back, Schumacher’s record simply states the victories, as do all of them. It doesn’t “Oh, and by the way if he hadn’t punted so and so off the track he wouldn’t have got the title”. So, to me it’s a pointless (no pun intended) discussion.

• BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5201
    edited December 2021
    I'd stick Lewis in the fair pile, he's tried a few things that are gamesmanship I would say, but they fit the era he races in. I would hazard a guess that he saw things go against him with Rosberg and Alonso that his response or actions were justified by. I would argue to that he feels that way with the Max stuff as well. 

Hakkinen was a gent compared to Michael and the only bloke Michael genuinely didn't like racing against. 

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4898
    I'd put Prost in the fair pile too.  And Lauda.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5201
    rlw said:
    Agreed, although I was never a fan of Alain, he was generally fair. I suppose having a favourable FISA president when he was driving meant he didn't need to play dirty ;)

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Ironically despite his Senna fandom, Lewis drives far more like Prost than Ayrton. He didn't in the earlier years but like most elder statesmen has learned that maximising points every time if the way to win titles. 

• DodgeDodge Frets: 1490
    edited December 2021
    Boromedic said:

Hakkinen was a gent compared to Michael and the only bloke Michael genuinely didn't like racing against. 

I'll never get bored of watching this.  Massive balls doing the double pass on the wet line after being blocked (unfairly IMHO) by Schuey.

• One of the best overtakes in history. Just so calm and completely brilliant. He was only just 33 when he retired. I'd have loved to see him go on longer, though I guess Newey never quite made another McLaren that was reliable enough to properly challenge
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4898
    Boromedic said:
    rlw said:
    Agreed, although I was never a fan of Alain, he was generally fair. I suppose having a favourable FISA president when he was driving meant he didn't need to play dirty ;)

Well, that and being quite a good driver too ....
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.