The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• ColsCols Frets: 7701
    NickL said:
    Cols said:
    TimmyO said:
    Here’s one I’d be interested in folks views on:

Who are the multiple-world-champions who you CAN’T point to multiple instances of things that suggest they lack (or at that time lacked) integrity. 

Obviously Senna, Prost, Schumacher are out. Hell, even good-guy-Seb is out. 

Who else is out?

Who does it leave? 
    Multiple WCs with integrity; Hakkinen, Lauda, Fittipaldi, Hill, Clark, Fangio.

Hamilton and Alonso are clean in wheel to wheel combat, but blotted their copybooks in other ways; screwing teammates over (including each other, but Hamilton was particularly fond of forcing Rosberg off track), playing the victim game, and so forth.  I’m sure Alonso knew about the plan for Piquet Jr to stuff it in the wall at Singapore as well.
    Given his influential campaigning for driver safety when it wasn't popular, you can probably add Jackie Stewart to the 'integrity' list.

Not aware of Jack Brabham having any particular reputation for dodgy tactics either, and he effectively handed the '67 title to his team mate Hulme because as team owner he tested less reliable new parts on his own car first.
    How could I forget Sir Jackie!  Of course, he probably deserves to be at the top of the list.

I’m less sure about Brabham.  He had a reputation in defence for “making his car as wide as it needed to be”, and was known for deliberately running over trackside gravel so stones would kick up into rival drivers’ faces.  Pretty tame stuff by today’s standards, but enough to give me pause.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fair play C4, that couldn’t have been cheap.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/59588805
    Ah that's great news! Will save me a tenner instead of having to buy a Now TV Day Pass
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8828
    tFB Trader
    Fair play C4, that couldn’t have been cheap.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/59588805
    Ah that's great news! Will save me a tenner instead of having to buy a Now TV Day Pass
    Tbh, after thinking about it, I doubt I’ll watch it. I remember the last time I was able to watch a race.. I got bored after lap 10. I’ve become accustomed to 7-8 mins of YouTube highlights which is enough to keep my interest. 

Imo, max won’t let Lewis away cleanly. And I don’t want to watch another shit show which involves MV taking the title because the FIA don’t want to penalise him properly. He isn’t a bad driver, but he’s bloody dangerous and arrogant. You can be arrogant without being a dangerous twat… max isn’t there yet. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Masi speaks out. Points to be deducted if Sunday delivers shenanigans. 

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 8094
    Masi speaks out. Points to be deducted if Sunday delivers shenanigans. 

An indication of what the sport's regulators think about Max's integrity 
    Red ones are better. 
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 6225
    I cannot wait to see Karen Spice bleating on about how good it is that the FIA have warned Hamilton about his conduct this weekend
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25495
    If I understand this right - Jos once left Max at a track when he didn't win a race?

Video - click through.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • If I understand this right - Jos once left Max at a track when he didn't win a race?

Video - click through.

I didn't know this
  • Yeah, Jos is a POS - how many other drivers have a “controversy” section in their Wikipedia pages listing 4 separate incidents…?

Max thinks he gets treated different to the rest of the field. No shit! He’s so well to have a chill pill and spend a year racing without his dad trackside 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I see Masi has highlighted that they have the power to dock points for intentional unsafe driving this weekend. Finally getting his elbows out!! :) 
  • If I understand this right - Jos once left Max at a track when he didn't win a race?

Video - click through.

I didn't know this

Neither did I. Not very nice... interesting that Max's take is "I didn't like it at the time but in hindsight he did the right thing". I wonder if that's really how he feels.
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25495
    If I understand this right - Jos once left Max at a track when he didn't win a race?

Video - click through.

I didn't know this

Neither did I. Not very nice... interesting that Max's take is "I didn't like it at the time but in hindsight he did the right thing". I wonder if that's really how he feels.

Stockholm Syndrome? Wouldn't be the first time a victim has defended or minimised what happened to them.

I wonder how young Max was when it happened - well considering he was 17 when he joined F1 he was still a child it was obviously before that so it's appalling behaviour by dad no matter what.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• Yeah, sounds like Max may be conflating “i learned an important lesson” with “that was acceptable behaviour to make a necessary point”

I genuinely would like him to step away from RB and Jos because hes so obviously a fantastic driver but needs to chill out and that’s going to need a no-bullshit Lauda type figure to put him in his place and show him that he can win more by chilling the fuck out.

Otherwise he can retire and sod off and let us watch Leclerc, Sainz, Gasly, Norris & Russell have a proper scrap over the next few years
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7701
    That explains a lot about the swift scoop into the Red Bull Young Driver programme.  I bet Jos and Helmut get on famously.
  • Yeah, sounds like Max may be conflating “i learned an important lesson” with “that was acceptable behaviour to make a necessary point”

I genuinely would like him to step away from RB and Jos because hes so obviously a fantastic driver but needs to chill out and that’s going to need a no-bullshit Lauda type figure to put him in his place and show him that he can win more by chilling the fuck out.

Otherwise he can retire and sod off and let us watch Leclerc, Sainz, Gasly, Norris & Russell have a proper scrap over the next few years
    OMG you're so right, there's a great selection of exciting drivers in F1 right now who aren't idiots. I liked Max at first when I got into F1 last year but I've quickly gone off him. If Ferrari and McLaren can get close to Mercedes and Red Bull next year it would be an insane spectacle.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    Max is precisely what Liberty Media needs.

• First blood to Max in FP1. Two tenths up on the next fastest...

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Love the message on the side of Kimi's car.

Dear Kimi, We will leave you alone now.

:-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6516
    Onboard Saudi LH-MV footage of that incident, but new from the 360-degree cameras.

https://streamable.com/mla8b8

MV knew exactly what he was doing, you can see him constantly watching LH in his mirrors and then the brake light once LH was close enough. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12882
    goldtop said:
    Onboard Saudi LH-MV footage of that incident, but new from the 360-degree cameras.

https://streamable.com/mla8b8

MV knew exactly what he was doing, you can see him constantly watching LH in his mirrors and then the brake light once LH was close enough. 

Yup, looks deliberate to me too. It’s even more obvious from that view that he moves to the right first to invite Lewis to overtake on the left,  then twitches about and squeezes the gap. I liked Max at first but he’s becoming more and more of an arsehole this season.