The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• ColsCols Frets: 7701
    Looks like a decision has already been made in some form.  Neither Michael Masi nor Nikolas Tombazis (head of  single-seater technical matters) are part of the FIA General Organisation chart any more.  Instead, their role in single seaters is temporarily taken in placeholder form by Peter Bayer, the Secretary General for Motor Sport.

https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files/fia_organigrammes_-_january_2022.pdf

Masi's the obvious one after his very public actions.  Tombazis is more obscure, but he was a leading figure in driving through the 2021 rule changes that specifically hobbled Mercedes and Aston Martin.

It was evident through the year that the powers had be had decided that it would be A Good Thing if someone else won the championship, if only to break the monotony of 8 years of Mercedes domination. 

The end-of-race safety car shenanigans in Abu Dhabi were a golden opportunity for Masi to achieve that objective after all appeared to be lost, but the deck was repeatedly and systematically stacked in favour of a Max/RB dream title throughout the year.  The Merc-damaging rule changes, the preferential treatment of Red Bull in delaying rear wing compliance changes early in the year until all the quick circuits were done, the benevolent attitude towards Verstappen's driving, a free "win" for Max at Spa... the list goes on.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28672
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6511
    Ideally the person who decides on safety in the heat of the moment should be unaware of which car is which and where, when he decides on red-flag, VSC, SC, etc. Can't think of a practical solution on that, though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5201
    edited January 2022
    @Cols as ever ^^, on the money.....

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

Boromedic said:
    Cheers man :)
  • goldtop said:
    Ideally the person who decides on safety in the heat of the moment should be unaware of which car is which and where, when he decides on red-flag, VSC, SC, etc. Can't think of a practical solution on that, though.

I've thought this before. I guess you could achieve that with something like the trackers the teams use to see where the gaps on track are for qualifying and pitstops - but it would need to be unlabelled so that you knew where the cars were but not which was which. Would make it tricky though for something like accidents, where you'd need to be able to see how much damage there is to the barriers or how much debris on the track, things like that.
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    edited January 2022
    Cols said:
    Boromedic said:
    Cheers man

Don't go all high and mighty on us and start thinking you can throw a party anytime you feel like it, though. That's a slippery slope.*

*Allegedly.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Cols said:
    Boromedic said:
    Cheers man

Don't go all high and mighty on us and start thinking you can throw a party anytime you feel like it, though. That's a slippery slope.*

*Allegedly.
    I'll keep myself grounded by continuing to be shockingly bad at Fantasy F1 ;)
    Aaand Marcin Budkowski is out at Alpine. Safe to assume Omar will be confirmed there in the next day or 2, and possibly Bukowski into the FIA to take the Race Director’s seat - he’d been mooted as Whitings potential successor a while back.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Read this morning the the FIA investigation won't be released until about 2 days before this year's first race. 

Read this morning the the FIA investigation won't be released until about 2 days before this year's first race. 
    Conveniently just after the press conferences?? :D 
    Conveniently just after the press conferences?? :D 
    And if Hamster says he's not making a decision about whether to race in 2022 until he hears the outcome, he's not got a lot of time to do so!

According to the FIA: “The outcome of the detailed analysis will be presented to the F1 Commission in February, and final decisions will be announced at the World Motor Sport Council in Bahrain on 18 March."

Possible whatever’s presented in Feb might mollify Hamilton.  Timing the announcement for the first day of the opening GP just smacks of more Drive To Survive drama.

Lewis hasn’t confirmed if he’ll race this weekend; everything hinges on what the FIA announce about the Abu Dhabi investigation. Will he get into the car for first practice, or will we see him dramatically leaving the circuit?

• I’ve been kind of getting on with my life and trying not to dwell on any of this, but I really feel bad for Lewis Hamilton; whatever you think about him, he’s the biggest name in the F1 paddock and he’s done a lot to bring Formula 1 to new audiences; there’ll be arguments forever about whether he’s the GOAT, but he’s certainly got nothing tp prove about his driving ability… this all feels like he’s being railroaded out; it’s making me feel the same way Harry & Megan leaving the country felt.
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1420
    I think he absolutely has something to prove again.  One season with a genuine competitor and he didn't win the title, is how it looks.

They'll never be in equal cars but I'm sure he'd love to win the title again ahead of Max.

Remember, everyone, that anything could happen next year, the cars are so different, all bets are off.  Do not be surprised to see the status quo upset.
    Norris for the WDC!  This year's new GOAT!
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5201
    edited January 2022
    sinbaadi said:
    I think he absolutely has something to prove again.  One season with a genuine competitor and he didn't win the title, is how it looks.
    Unless you actually follow F1 even as a casual observer and you'll know that Lewis was robbed of the title by the race director, so no it's not how it looks at all. Literally the whole world knows that AD was controversial, and the only people who keep trying to avoid the controversy are the Max/RB fans and the Lewis haters.

I agree on the new regs, it's always possible someone has found a loophole or maxed the regs to get an advantage. Still think Merc are up there like, they've invested a lot in this season. 

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6511
    sinbaadi said:
    That is most definitely NOT the way 2021 F1 will be remembered. That bit is just for Max/Horner/Marko, and even they know.

I hope LH comes back, because I'm excited to see what the 2022 changes really mean and hope they shake things up.
  • First car launches next week, then testing later this month. 

Also see this good vid on the changes to the Aus circuit. Looks like a similar concept to the Abu Dhabi changes and hopefully with similar benefits

• Haas launching today! I'm guessing similar to last years' livery but on a very basic show car. Good to be finally seeing proper hints of the 2022 changes from a real team though :)

• It looks like the old one with new wings. Funky side pods though.