The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• I don't like the UFO safety things, I think they look silly, and they should have continued testing the fighter aircraft cockpit idea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I don't like the UFO safety things, I think they look silly, and they should have continued testing the fighter aircraft cockpit idea.
    Given they've already saved a bunch of people from serious injuries I'm 100% onboard with them. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 3445
    edited February 2022
    I don't like the UFO safety things, I think they look silly, and they should have continued testing the fighter aircraft cockpit idea.
    Given they've already saved a bunch of people from serious injuries I'm 100% onboard with them. 

Be honest, the best and most exciting part about F1 is the start, especially when they're all tanking it towards the first corner for the first lap at full pelt.  And as for safety, how safe can you make driving around a track with 15 other cars for 70 odd laps at 200mph?  What's next corks on the pointy ends of darts just incase somebody pokes an eye out?
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I don't want to watch men die in car accidents just so I can be entertained on a Sunday afternoon. 

Halo almost certainly saved Grosjean's life, and saved Hamilton and Leclerc from hefty head & neck injuries in the last 4 years, plus a bunch of guys in junior categories on time of that. On that basis I'm completely fine with it

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 2022
    I don't want to watch men die in car accidents just so I can be entertained on a Sunday afternoon. 

Halo almost certainly saved Grosjean's life, and saved Hamilton and Leclerc from hefty head & neck injuries in the last 4 years, plus a bunch of guys in junior categories on time of that. On that basis I'm completely fine with it

How about if it was moved to say Saturday insead  of having it on the Sunday?  It really is starting to get sterile and very predictale.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1421
    I don't want to watch men die in car accidents just so I can be entertained on a Sunday afternoon. 

How about if it was moved to say Saturday insead  of having it on the Sunday?  It really is starting to get sterile and very predictale.
    Please predict the starting grid and race finishing order for the first GP of 2022.

People objected to HALO at the time but nobody thinks it was was a bad idea now.  Risk taking is definitely affected by perceived safety, imo, so I do think there's something going on there, are we genuinely suddenly having lots of accidents that would have been fatal pre HALO?  Anyway I'd rather drivers were confident enough to send it, or keep it pinned, rather than afraid that a barrier might split and decapitate them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 2022
    sinbaadi said:

Please predict the starting grid and race finishing order for the first GP of 2022.

People objected to HALO at the time but nobody thinks it was was a bad idea now.  Risk taking is definitely affected by perceived safety, imo, so I do think there's something going on there, are we genuinely suddenly having lots of accidents that would have been fatal pre HALO?  Anyway I'd rather drivers were confident enough to send it, or keep it pinned, rather than afraid that a barrier might split and decapitate them.

Hence my preference for the fighter jet cockpit that they where testing befoire going all master chief with the Halo.  If they're sitting in a cockpit that has been designed to break the sound barrier after a frozen chicken has been fired at it from a cannon and bounced off.  Imagiine how much confidence in safety that will inspire, and the associated risk taking that will happen with the increase in precieved safety.  These guys know better than anybody else just how dangerious doing 70 odd laps around a track with 15 other drivers is at over 200mph.

As far as predictable goes, I mean you can pretty much tell before the season starts which  teams will be battling it out for the top 3 places, and of the 3, which 2 will be fighting over position 1 and 2.
  • sinbaadi said:

Hence my preference for the fighter jet cockpit that they where testing befoire going all master chief with the Halo.  If they're sitting in a cockpit that has been designed to break the sound barrier after a frozen chicken has been fired at it from a cannon and bounced off.  Imagiine how much confidence in safety that will inspire, and the associated risk taking that will happen with the increase in precieved safety.  These guys know better than anybody else just how dangerious doing 70 odd laps around a track with 15 other drivers is at over 200mph.

As far as predictable goes, I mean you can pretty much tell before the season starts which  teams will be battling it out for the top 3 places, and of the 3, which 2 will be fighting over position 1 and 2.
    If Grosjean had his crash with a canopy instead we'd have all watched him burn alive. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 6158
    When a fighter jet crash lands there aren't half a dozen marshals trying to open the canopy to drag the pilot out, the pilot either dies in the impact or ejects before the impact.

Mind you, ejector seats in F1?  That would be great fun to watch!

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28677
    edited February 2022
    New RB.. finally. Those side pods are crazy. 

And what look to be massive bargeboards frontward-floor-venturi-tunnel extensions (or something). I guess success this year is going to be all about getting air over the top of the diffuser in the best way possible. I really hope they (of all teams) don't run away with it.

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 8092
    Given the season we’ve just had, and the changes in advance of the upcoming one, writing off the sport as stale and predictable is just plain silly. 

The only entirely predictable thing is that people will pop up in this thread saying that F1 is boring and predictable, whilst being bored enough about everything else in the world to take the time to do so 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • sinbaadi said:

If Grosjean had his crash with a canopy instead we'd have all watched him burn alive. 

It wasn't just a laminated thick glass roof, there was a bloody driver ejection system with parachute in the system a la James Bond in the cockpit design, just like a fighter jet, I even believe the early test where done with repurposed fighter et cockpits.
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3434

Don't watch it then - nobody is forcing you. That way you won't be bored by it, and those of us that do enjoy it can carry on as normal.
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    sinbaadi said:

It wasn't just a laminated thick glass roof, there was a bloody driver ejection system with parachute in the system a la James Bond in the cockpit design, just like a fighter jet, I even believe the early test where done with repurposed fighter et cockpits.
    I can’t tell if you’re trolling - but if you’re not: a multi-£100,000 single use, 100+kg, closed cockpit solution to a problem that is solved by the Halo doesn’t seem likely or desirable 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyO said:
    sinbaadi said:

I can’t tell if you’re trolling - but if you’re not: a multi-£100,000 single use, 100+kg, closed cockpit solution to a problem that is solved by the Halo doesn’t seem likely or desirable 

I'm not trolling or trying to wind people up, the concept behind the fighter pilot cockpit was that the drivers part, the ''cockpit'' would be thrown, or ejected clear, at impact.  It wasn't just shooting a dazed and confused driver out the top of the roof, and hoping to Christ that he can dodge all the other cars speeding along the track as he untangles himself from a parachute and removes himself from the track, a sizeable % of the car, the cockpit would become a protective shell, would have been ejected along with the driver to protect him.  Like ejecting the passanger area of a car a nano second after impact.
  • SimonhSimonh Frets: 1360
    edited February 2022
    Simonh said:
    Emiel said:
    axisus said:
    I find myself incredibly uninterested in F1 after the farce ending last season. I actually didn't mind who won, Hamilton has never been a favourite of mine, but to end like that and have the result stand was just utter garbage. Worst season ever, and I don't know how Verstappen can sleep at night winning like that. I'm happy for him to win other World Championships but that one is forever tainted. Stolen.
    Just look at the stats. 1st or 2nd in all races finished (except for Hungary), scoring the most wins and poles, leading more laps than all others drivers combined. Na, he doesn't deserve it, just based on that final race...  every point of view has been discussed endlessly now. Can't we just focus on the 2022 season? I reckon it will be a fascinating year with full of surprises.
    By the same token if he had been punished appropriately for Brazil and Saudi he would have been nowhere near the points required to challenge, that is without many other dodgy decision through the year that all went toward preserving the "show" of the two being locked in a title fight

Yet he refused to appear in the show because of the scripted rivalry between the two of them.  I think J.S. was right when he said ''the car is now the star''.
    I was referring to the whole of F1 as the show not DTS.
  • SimonhSimonh Frets: 1360
    Obvious troll is obvious.

Drew is that you?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6514

OK, go on then...
    edited February 2022
    goldtop said:

OK, go on then...
    Top 3 at the end of the 2022 season.

Red Bull

Merc

And a coin toss between Ferrari and Maclaren

And first will be a battle between Merc and Red Bull - I actually have money on this one.

I still find it entertaining to watch, but you can't say there is no relationship between teams budgets and success
    goldtop said:

OK, go on then...
    Top 3 at the end of the 2022 season.

Red Bull

Merc

And a coin toss between Ferrari and Maclaren

And first will be a battle between Merc and Red Bull.

I still find it entertaining to watch, but you can't say there is no relationship between teams budgets and success
    Nobody has said that. It sounds like you’re creating an argument to argue against. You’re Vladimir Putin! /MaskedSinger 
    Red ones are better.