The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 8098
    Lando seemed to scoff a third Weetabix at that last pit stop! Some great overtakes 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyO said:
    Crikey, standard clumsy wandering into someone manoeuvre from Stroll. Very glad no one collected either of them mid-accident. 
    I actually thought it was a bit clumsy from Alonso too - see what the stewards make of it with all the telemetry 
    I'm just amazed that after going more or less airborne and then hitting the wall, Alonso still finished 6th!!
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7703
    TimmyO said:
    Crikey, standard clumsy wandering into someone manoeuvre from Stroll. Very glad no one collected either of them mid-accident. 
    I actually thought it was a bit clumsy from Alonso too - see what the stewards make of it with all the telemetry 
    I'm just amazed that after going more or less airborne and then hitting the wall, Alonso still finished 6th!!
    Or not.  Alonso was subsequently slapped with a retrospective 30 second time penalty for loose bodywork (a flapping mirror) following an appeal by Haas.  Utter bullshit.  

Magnificent drive by Vettel, who should have been higher but for the botched pitstop.  He absolutely still has it on his day, it's a shame those days are becoming further and further apart.

The same could not be said of the unfortunate Ricciardo.  On a day where his teammate finished 6th, he was devoid of pace and only finished ahead of Latifi.  For someone who had 'future world champion' written all over him back in his Red Bull days, it's a sad sight to see.  He looks like he'd rather skip the last 3 races at this rate, but Alpine are unlikely to let Piastri make an early move.

Stroll's late move into Alonso looked like sheer clumsiness and lack of situational awareness rather than any malign intent.  Fernando was careful to label the incident with his future teammate and son of his future boss as "unfortunate".    
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28682
    @Cols don't forget Lando did that with his front aero in bits as well. Really impressive drive from him. 

I feel sorry for Nando as the knackered mirror wasn't his fault, though I see the safety argument. 30 seconds seems a bit harsh but did the FIA tell Alpine to sort it and got ignored? I don't know. 

Vettel was the star for me. That AM is finally looking like a decent racing car just as he's in his final few races. And such a shame to have such a shitty stop coincide with a great performance. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12882
    Did Perez ever get penalised for losing his front wing end plate? Heard it mentioned during the race but nothing afterwards. 
    edited October 2022

I feel sorry for Nando as the knackered mirror wasn't his fault, though I see the safety argument. 30 seconds seems a bit harsh but did the FIA tell Alpine to sort it and got ignored? I don't know. 

They did not.  

Haas contacted Race Control twice during the race to complain that Alonso had a loose mirror and that they really should call him in to get it sorted out.  And to be fair, Haas have been on the receiving end of similar instructions three times this year for front wing endplate damage.

Race Control decided it was okay and didn't say anything to Alpine.  The stewards decided that Race Control should have, and that Alpine were guilty of failing to ensure that Alonso's car "must be in a safe condition throughout a race".  Boom, 10s stop/go penalty - which after a race coverts to a 30s time penalty.

Meanwhile, Russell ends Sainz's race at the first corner and only gets a 5s stop/go.  Go figure.
    I can 100% understand Haas complaining about both Alonso and Perez, having been on the receiving end of the orange/black flag a couple of times recently. But applying that penalty to Alonso after it had already fallen off without first instructing him to pit is extremely harsh. No wonder Alpine are appealing. 
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    A rather more exciting race, congrats to RB and Max for getting the double, a fitting tribute to Dietrich in my view.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Harsh indeed.

Still, it’s good to see that the stewards apparently can decide that the Race Director did the wrong thing and change the results after the race…
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5206
    Audi confirmed at Sauber for 2026 then:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/63397350

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    And Porsche rumoured to take a 50% stake in Williams.  Good news.
    Cols said:
    Hadn't heard this, great news, can't wait for Porsche to take revenge on Karen "we're the victims even though we cheated" Horner.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Cols said:
    Oh I would be 1000% up for that.
  • Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25497
    Red Bull punishment press conference at 17:30 hours today.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

Good news, but overturned on a technicality that Haas submitted their protest to the stewards 24 minutes after the deadline. 

The more fundamental question is that Fernando was hit with a whopping time penalty after he hadn't been shown a flag to call him in for loose bodywork.  If Haas had submitted their protest in time, this would still stand.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Exciting, is it live anywhere?

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25497
    Boromedic said:
    If it is, I'm guessing on Sky.

But I bet someone on twitter will be using their phone to film and broadcast it there too.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

Cols said:
    Good news, but overturned on a technicality that Haas submitted their protest to the stewards 24 minutes after the deadline. 

The more fundamental question is that Fernando was hit with a whopping time penalty after he hadn't been shown a flag to call him in for loose bodywork.  If Haas had submitted their protest in time, this would still stand.
    Yeah, super shady and a real shame they still don't have the balls to say "yeah actually that's on us - should've been a O/B flag so we shouldn't penalise him later".

As for RB, I heard rumours of 25% reduction in total aero tunnel/CFD time which is HUGE if true.
    Boromedic said:
    If it is, I'm guessing on Sky.

But I bet someone on twitter will be using their phone to film and broadcast it there too.
    I shall see if I can find it wherever it might be.....