The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• Cols said:
    Stroll still demonstrating his utter lack of spacial awareness. I don't hate the guy like so many seem to but it's getting silly. Alonso will not be quietly putting up with that stuff like Set does.

While I’m sure Stroll’s clash with Alonso at Austin was down to clumsiness and a lack of situational awareness, his move on Vettel yesterday was very deliberate.  Seb is so laid back these days he’s almost horizontal; his radio reaction of “…Ok” and then just blasting past Stroll on the next lap was priceless.

If he tries such shenanigans on Alonso next year I imagine the response will be more… colourful.
    I honestly don't think he ran Seb off the road on purpose. I don't think he ever does these clumsy moves on purpose. He's even done it (multiple times!) on cool-down laps. He's just a klutz imo. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Cols said:
    Stroll still demonstrating his utter lack of spacial awareness. I don't hate the guy like so many seem to but it's getting silly. Alonso will not be quietly putting up with that stuff like Set does.

While I’m sure Stroll’s clash with Alonso at Austin was down to clumsiness and a lack of situational awareness, his move on Vettel yesterday was very deliberate.  Seb is so laid back these days he’s almost horizontal; his radio reaction of “…Ok” and then just blasting past Stroll on the next lap was priceless.

If he tries such shenanigans on Alonso next year I imagine the response will be more… colourful.
    I honestly don't think he ran Seb off the road on purpose. I don't think he ever does these clumsy moves on purpose. He's even done it (multiple times!) on cool-down laps. He's just a klutz imo. 
    Agreed, it's much more incompetence, than malicious. Still dangerous and there are far better people who should be racing.  He's only there because daddy is paying. 

• dazzajldazzajl Frets: 6226
    Cols said:
    dazzajl said:
    The response will be a crash. 
    I don't think so; despite Alonso's famously volatile nature, he's one of the cleanest drivers I've ever seen.  I honestly can't recall any incidents where he intentionally caused an accident or drove someone off the road.

It's more likely that a future series of Drive To Survive will feature "Tune in next episode to watch Lance Stroll trying to pick his teeth up off the floor of the Aston Martin garage with broken fingers".
    You are probably right. I can just see Alonso, if he’s not in a car that can win races, getting bored with it and not backing out one day. 
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1423

And while we finally got a genuinely good sprint, is that probably to the detriment of today's race? There's an argument to be made that the sprint was good because of the wet quali, and the first 15 laps of the race would have been better if they'd started in the order they were at the start of the sprint.
    That's one way of looking at it.  One could say that those 15 (typically 5) laps are always the main action portion of the race, and at least by running a sprint race on the Saturday you then hit a reset, bunch the field back up, reinstate any DNFs and go again for another 5?

I like it as a format as in my opinion, of the things that make Grand Prix races exciting, the length of them is not high on the list of those things. 

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25497
    Cols said:

Agreed, it's much more incompetence, than malicious. Still dangerous and there are far better people who should be racing.  He's only there because daddy is paying. 

He made a mistake but Stroll has improved so very much over the last 2 years. Ok - he got a chance because of Daddy's money that he may not have got otherwise, but right now - he's fast and capable and on balance deserves to be in.

There are others who are slower and less reliable, trading on the names of far better relatives.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28681
    edited November 2022
    Not sure why everyone is bitching about Max’s penalty. He was in front with n T1 but only because he brakes too late, which is why he wasn’t in front in T2 where the incident happened, and he drove into Lewis. £50 says Ant would agree with me
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BrioBrio Frets: 2245
    Great race!
  • GGGEEEEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOOOORRRGGGGEEEE RUSSELLLLLLLLL!!!!!!! 

great race :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • YEEEEESSS! First win for my fellow King's Lynn local hero, George Russell, world champion in the making. Looks like Merc have got the car sorted at last, fingers crossed for next year.

• PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 953
    I was wrong about Max….he’s twice the cunt I thought he was!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6518
    Max being Max. For P6. When already WDC. :astonished: 
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 6226
    Every time I think Max must have scraped down to the bottom of the barrel, he manages to go deeper and seem like an even bigger twat than he was before. 

Fabulous and well deserved win for GR. Hopefully the first of many many more. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I've been watching this season and thinking Max has been driving much more cleanly, he's only a kid, I should stop being so negative about him, and today he proved me wrong twice over... I *really* hope Charles Leclerc keeps hold of P2 in the championship.
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 5059
    Classy, Max.

• ColsCols Frets: 7703
    Not sure why everyone is bitching about Max’s penalty. He was in front with n T1 but only because he brakes too late, which is why he wasn’t in front in T2 where the incident happened, and he drove into Lewis. £50 says Ant would agree with me
    That's exactly what the stewards decided; Max didn't complete the overtake in the first corner, and his excess speed caused the collision in the second corner.  At that speed, his trajectory was only ever going to be sweeping straight to the outside of the corner exit with Hamilton alongside.

Still, Lewis certainly didn't leave him a car's width on the apex...

Richly deserved first win for Russell; a flawless performance.  Elsewhere down the field, everyone's looking a bit bad tempered.  Leclerc frankly embarrassed himself with his wheedling to compel Sainz to wave him past into a podium spot.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    I was hoping for a nice, clean battle, but Max didn’t need to take that move, which cost him dearly. Leclerc’s persistent whining got on my tits though, sorry Charles, but on the day you just weren’t fast enough. Well done to George, fantastic result for him, and I’m thinking he’ll be on course for many more wins!

• I thought Hamilton should have left more room.  He would have gone on to pass Verstappen again anyway and possibly win the race.
    At this point MV is like the guy swerving and undercutting on the motorway, you’re never going to come off better for having an altercation.
  • EmielEmiel Frets: 222
    edited November 2022
    It reminds me of Hamilton vs Massa in 2011. For some reason that year they were somehow constantly crashing into each other, but not with others. You got to admit, Verstappen has been quite fair this year in his battles with for instance Leclerc and with Russell in Saturday's sprint. I guess Verstappen en Hamilton each have a particular way of driving that somehow doesn't match when they have to race each other.

Yesterday they just didn't give each other enough space. Shame really, because it could have been a cracking race with the top 6 battling for the podium positions.

I'm very impressed with Mercedes, they really turned it around. They are fast and consistent... something that can't be said of Perez & Sainz, and Leclerc's performances have been pretty lacklustre in the last few races too. Red Bull and Ferrari will have to worry about 2023. 

• Max vs Hamilton

Max was ahead in turn 1, I think only on the outside because Lewis closed the inside door. But Max didn't take the apex on that corner.
    Lewis then got a similar advantage into turn 2, but he did take the apex.

We'll never know if Max would have run wide on the exit because there was contact at the apex and that caused the resulting exit lines.

I think it was a reasonably fair bit of driving from Max, and Lewis should have given more room. Seems like a harsh penalty. Martin Brundle was of the same opinion during the race, I believe.

Ultimately, it doesn't really matter to the result or the points. So, it will go down as one of those subjective view points that both sides of the battle will refer to with their own perspective. Of all the things Max has done in his racing life, this is not that significant in my view.
  • I can't but find it funny how Max fans thought he was in the right when he clashed with Ocon a couple of years back. Virtually identical incident except Max on the inside of T1 that time.