The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• Max has been talking about toxic social media again this week, and mentioning that members of his family have been receiving messages. I don't condone that in any way, but it conveniently glosses over the fact that his mum was saying shit about Perez on Instagram after the last race.

It's a real shame, all this. Max is fast enough to just drive and not have all this shit around him, instead he goes around saying stupid stuff like "I've heard Lewis won't even say my name", which is demonstrably not true. I have to keep reminding myself that he's still very young, and I think his dad is a big influence on him, unfortunately. Hopefully as he grows up he'll do a Vettel and chill out.
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7703
    Here’s Max being “an open and fair team player, in a compromising situation with little time to react

Engineer:  “This is the final lap, Max. Max, if we don’t pass Fernando on the exit of 12 can we let Checo through, please, let Checo back through.

Engineer: “Don’t worry about the DRS, Max. Let Checo through.

Engineer:  “Max, let Checo through, please.

Engineer:  “Max, what happened?

Max:  “I told you already last time you guys, don’t ask that again to me. Okay? Are we clear about that? I gave my reasons and I stand by it.”

Engineer:  “Into the pit lane, please.”

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3287
    edited November 2022 tFB Trader

I presume Merc have appealed the Brazil GP result as the race director didn't let all lapped cars overtake (see Tsunoda), therefore George had an unfair advantage over Lewis?

Gotta stand by your principles, Toto!
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5203
    edited November 2022
    What's the point of appealing if it's even a thing when the FIA will just let the result stand like they did with Red Bull. Lewis has outqualified George in nearly every race since they were able to compete with equal setups and parts. This has been confirmed by all parties including George, Lewis had been driving around at extremes of setup to get the problems with the car worked out, hence why George did better at the start of the season.

Edit: https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/tsunoda-highlights-bizarre-f1-safety-car-system-anomaly-in-brazil-gp/10399789/

So not even a thing then, what are you on about? Completely different from the FIA picking the world champion. Why don't you like Lewis, what is it about him? I've asked before and you never answered. 

Brazil is the one race George has done better recently, excepting Lewis's stupid crash with Fernando at Belgium. That was partly due to the changeable weather during quali, which caught out a few teams. Interlagos is not one of Hamilton's best circuits either. Luckily Lewis's ego allows him to accept that helping the team is more important than helping himself, unlike some other drivers. The championship standings are only one part of the story as everyone loves to point out when folk say how good Lewis is, so it works in reverse too. Lewis could be 9x world champion if McLaren hadn't messed up and the FIA hadn't stolen the last off him. Not sure Max would have had the same level of grace about it were roles reversed. Merc didn't cheat either.

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • And on the subject of Red Bull complaining about toxicity in social media... 

https://twitter.com/redbullracing/status/1593293654931787776 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5203

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 8095
    Is that the first Noah’s-Ark front 3 rows of the season? 
    Red ones are better. 
    Have Red Bull’s PR department been moonlighting as FIFA’s advisors? :-) 
    Red ones are better. 
  • BrioBrio Frets: 2245
    Hell yeah! LECLERC gets second overall 
  • I wouldnt normally cheer on Ferrari, but that's just how much I loathe Red Bull. Good one Leclerc. 

Max won't be on Perez's Christmas card list as last race's little squabble made the difference.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • I was listening to the commentary on Radio 5 whilst cooking lunch today and the commentator kept referring to the person who finishes in second place in the championship as the "Vice Champion". Is this a thing now? I always thought they were just the runner up, but vice champion seems very odd to my ears.
    When Seb was going for the 12-million-dollar overtake at the end his car was harvesting - seems odd 
    Red ones are better. 
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 6226
    I only caught the highlights, did I miss the bit where Max helped his teammate get that 2nd place? 
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • With the exception of Red Bull winning/cheating their way to victory ( take your pick) I think it's been a good season.  The racing has certainly improved and the new regs have made a big difference.  I hope that Mercedes have learnt a lot this season and come back more competitive next year.  Ferrari can have the fasted car on the planet but their decision-making is shocking at times and therefore they are unlikely to win.  Charles was lucky to come second.  And no I didn't notice Max giving Checho any support today.

Sad to see Seb go, he's become a real character in recent years, but his beard does seem to have reached hippy commune entry levels, so I suppose he has no option.  Also sad to see Danny Ric go back to Red Bull.  He deserves better.

As for Mick Schumacher - well it's clear that the family talent skipped a generation and the dodgems at the fun fair is probably a better option.

Roll on 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

• As for Mick Schumacher - well it's clear that the family talent skipped a generation and the dodgems at the fun fair is probably a better option.

Roll on 2023.
    Bit harsh that! He beat KMag today in a fair fight, and finished the championship ahead of Tsunoda and Zhou who were both in better machinery. He's clearly not on his father's level but he's not terrible - probably more like his Uncle Ralf's level of ability!

I enjoyed quite a few races this season, especially in the early half when RB and Ferrari were neck and neck. Just a shame the title turned into a bit of a damp squib in the end, in no small part due to Ferrari's ineptitude! 

Agreed that the racing throughout the pack has been much better this year due to the reg changes. I do hope they shorten the DRS zones for next year. In too many races it was making it too easy to pass; it's no fun watching cars pass halfway down the straight, way before they even reach the braking zone. 

Looking forward to 2023! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

• As for Mick Schumacher - well it's clear that the family talent skipped a generation and the dodgems at the fun fair is probably a better option.

Roll on 2023.
    Bit harsh that! He beat KMag today in a fair fight, and finished the championship ahead of Tsunoda and Zhou who were both in better machinery. He's clearly not on his father's level but he's not terrible - probably more like his Uncle Ralf's level of ability!

I enjoyed quite a few races this season, especially in the early half when RB and Ferrari were neck and neck. Just a shame the title turned into a bit of a damp squib in the end, in no small part due to Ferrari's ineptitude! 

Agreed that the racing throughout the pack has been much better this year due to the reg changes. I do hope they shorten the DRS zones for next year. In too many races it was making it too easy to pass; it's no fun watching cars pass halfway down the straight, way before they even reach the braking zone. 

Looking forward to 2023! 
    Yes, possibly harsh, and to be in F1 he has to have talent, but did he make it a very long way on the back of dad's talent/money rather than his own abilities?

• sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1422
    They definitely need to adjust the DRS zones for 23.  
  • EmielEmiel Frets: 222
    If I would try to sum up 2022... for me the new ground effect cars definitely did improve the racing. It was amazing to see drivers racing eachother for multiple laps instead of just one. The first half of the season was quite a revelation in that regard, really exciting racing with Verstappen and Leclerc.

Too bad Ferrari ánd Leclerc just couldn't keep up. It's like with Hamilton/Mercedes being challenged in 2016/2017, you have to be pretty much faultless to challenge for the championship if the leading team and driver are só on it. Most of the attention goes to Ferrari's flawed strategies, but I feel Leclerc made too many mistakes as well. Sainz actually beat him quite a fair number of times. 

I'm surprised that Mercedes was so far behind for most of the season, but I expect them to be in the mix for 2023. Russell beat ed Hamilton in the standings but if you delve more into the races you'll see that Hamilton still had the edge in the majority of the races. Russell is very very close though and will only get better.

Alpine did really well this year but my god, perhaps they are focusing too much on sheer speed and not so much on reliability. I can imagine Alonso fuming with rage yesterday after another retirement. It was great to see the old fox still has it. Despite Ocon again scoring more points, it was Alonso who definitely had the upper hand. I fear Alpine will lose a bit with its new all French lineup next year.

As for the other teams... I hope that the new regulations regarding windtunnel time will bring the field a bit closer from 2023 onwards. Norris was a stand out this year but the Mclaren was overall just a poor car unable to get a podium without some shenigans happening at the front. 
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    Vettel's been a staple for so long, it's sad to see him leave F1, but who else will single-handedly save the planet?

Bloody nice chap Danny Ric has probably done the right thing, but I'm not convinced we will see him in an F1 seat again. There's plenty of fresh talent waiting in the wings.

I'm looking forward to next year, hopefully we can get some closer racing but it needs Merc to produce a decent car (which they surely will), and Ferrari to plug the gaping hole in their strategy ship.