The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1421
    With what's at stake and the amount of money available, it's mind boggling that they don't check every car for that every race.  

As an aside, Alonso must be wondering wtf has happened to the development of the Aston Martin across the year.  A car and driver who, without Redbull and Max getting it right out of the box, might have been leading the championship for the first 5ish rounds?

We would have been shouting GOAT from the rooftops.

Now they're nowhere.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 8094
    RiftAmps said:

RiftAmps said:
    boogieman said:
    Suspicious me thinks it strange they didn’t look at either Red Bull.

Absolutely, just read that that these two cars were selected at random and no others have been looked at.  It may be the "rules" but clearly indicates a widespread issue.

They did, the checked cars 01, 16, 44, and 04

"A physical floor and a plank wear inspection was carried out on car numbers 01, 16, 44 and 04."

https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files/decision-document/2023 United States Grand Prix - Race scrutineering.pdf

It's probably worth doing a little more research, next time

What - you mean the rumour mill of the internet isn't acceptable anymore ???  

You will be telling me that Elvis isn't alive and well and living on the moon next.

Judging by the dross that's circulated in this thread, I've no idea any more
    Dude you always come across as uncharacteristically argumentative whenever the subject of Mercedes F1 comes up - it's odd. 
    Red ones are better. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5201
    TimmyO said:
    RiftAmps said:

RiftAmps said:
    boogieman said:

Absolutely, just read that that these two cars were selected at random and no others have been looked at.  It may be the "rules" but clearly indicates a widespread issue.

"A physical floor and a plank wear inspection was carried out on car numbers 01, 16, 44 and 04."

https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files/decision-document/2023 United States Grand Prix - Race scrutineering.pdf

You will be telling me that Elvis isn't alive and well and living on the moon next.

Dude you always come across as uncharacteristically argumentative whenever the subject of Mercedes F1 comes up - it's odd. 
    Fell out with the neighbours ;)

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3287
    tFB Trader
    TimmyO said:
    RiftAmps said:

RiftAmps said:
    boogieman said:

Not true, I've said it before on here that I'm a huge GR fan. I think he's genuinely brilliant.
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25495
    TimmyO said:
    RiftAmps said:

RiftAmps said:
    boogieman said:

I've noticed that too. On many occasions.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• Well I didn't see that coming!
  • Danni Ric pulled that lap out of nowhere.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28680
    Good quali!! 

All the pit exit stuff was a joke and the stewards have chickened out of doing anything about it again. But otherwise good stuff and overall one of the closest we've seen in ages. And DR making Perez look like a lemon will never not be funny :D 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Doh @ Lando 
    Red ones are better. 
  • ColsCols Frets: 7701
    Ricciardo had been faster than Perez all through qualifying.  It’s exactly what Checo didn’t need, assuming his fate is still in doubt - being outqualified by his rumoured replacement at his home Grand Prix.

The pit lane blocking was ridiculous and should have been penalised.  I can’t really fault Verstappen and Russell for it, they would just have been doing what the teams told them to. 

I’d love to see a Ferrari win today, but I suspect Verstappen will just carve them to bits on race pace.
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4713
    The thing about Perez is you don't actually think he can win. Great quali though. Will be interesting to see lando tear up the backfield
    DesVegas said:
    The thing about Perez is you don't actually think he can win. Great quali though. Will be interesting to see lando tear up the backfield
    Absolutely.  Lando’s going to be fuming after yesterday, he’ll be on a mission.

Perez’s only hope of a win today would’ve been a decent qualifying performance and Verstappen getting penalised for stopping at the end of the pit lane and metaphorically putting his hazard warning lights on while he waited for the traffic to suit him.  Neither of those happened, so unless Verstappen has an incident or mechanical failure Perez is going to finish behind him.

The parking in the pit lane is still ridiculous.  The stewards noted in their decision:

"The stewards consider that the entire set of incidents occurred as a direct result of the implementation of the minimum lap time between SC2 and SC1, which is designed (correctly so, in our view) to avoid dangerous backing-up of cars on the circuit during qualification.

"We note that there are contrary requirements on drivers in that they must respect the minimum time, they are attempting to create manageable gaps to cars in front, yet they are also required to avoid unnecessarily stopping at the pit exit or driving unnecessarily slowly."

It’s straightforward.  You want a gap?  Stay in your garage until one appears and then go for it.

• sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1421
    Cols said:
    DesVegas said:
    Absolutely.  Lando’s going to be fuming after yesterday, he’ll be on a mission.

Perez’s only hope of a win today would’ve been a decent qualifying performance and Verstappen getting penalised for stopping at the end of the pit lane and metaphorically putting his hazard warning lights on while he waited for the traffic to suit him.  Neither of those happened, so unless Verstappen has an incident or mechanical failure Perez is going to finish behind him.

The parking in the pit lane is still ridiculous.  The stewards noted in their decision:

"The stewards consider that the entire set of incidents occurred as a direct result of the implementation of the minimum lap time between SC2 and SC1, which is designed (correctly so, in our view) to avoid dangerous backing-up of cars on the circuit during qualification.

"We note that there are contrary requirements on drivers in that they must respect the minimum time, they are attempting to create manageable gaps to cars in front, yet they are also required to avoid unnecessarily stopping at the pit exit or driving unnecessarily slowly."

It’s straightforward.  You want a gap?  Stay in your garage until one appears and then go for it.

And then all it takes is one other car taking that gap, ahead of you, and you've lost the gap, as may have 4 other cars behind you. 

If then you might need to wait for another, where do you do that?

The teams and drivers have so much information about where all the other cars are that there is big pressure on finding ideal track position for their quick lap.  There is no going back from that, and I just think that if you want to wait at the end of the pit lane there should be a little lay-by in which to do so.  

edited October 2023
    sinbaadi said:
    Cols said:

And then all it takes is one other car taking that gap, ahead of you, and you've lost the gap, as may have 4 other cars behind you. 

If then you might need to wait for another, where do you do that?

The teams and drivers have so much information about where all the other cars are that there is big pressure on finding ideal track position for their quick lap.  There is no going back from that, and I just think that if you want to wait at the end of the pit lane there should be a little lay-by in which to do so.  

As the Stones said, “You Can’t Always Get What You Want”.  

Everyone wants a nice clear track in front of them for qualifying, but the only way to get that would be the single-lap qualifying which prevailed from 2003-2005, where cars proceeded onto the track one at a time.  And then someone always gets it in the neck through changing track conditions or weather.  

Creating a guaranteed gap with no spoilsport other drivers in front of you logically requires bottling ‘em up behind you, thus denying them a gap.  Previously this was done by dawdling around the last part of the lap, which provided the ridiculous spectacle of the world’s fastest racing cars looking like they were in a Friday afternoon M25 traffic jam.  Now it’s being done by hanging out at the end of the pit lane like they’re waiting for their F1 Happy Meals at the drive-through.  Which looks equally stupid.

I just think that if you want to wait at the end of the pit lane there should be a little lay-by in which to do so.  

There’s a nice little place provided in the pit lane for each car to wait, called the garage....

edited October 2023
    I do always enjoy Brundle’s grid walk but that was WAY more interesting than hearing some random celeb thank the team who are hosting their freebie jaunt 
    Red ones are better. 
    Oh Checo... honestly fucking hilarious :D :D 

(and yes @timmyo the tech stuff was actually really good)
    From the replays Perez was right to try the same move that won it for Max last year, but he went straight for the apex of T1 when he had 2 cars on the inside. 100% on him. What a muppet
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4713
    Max as straight and fast as an arrow.. Perez should be fired straight away
    Ah FFS - I don’t get why tyre changes / wing changes are allowed under red flag. 

Obv this doesn’t have anything to do with Lando having just wasted a pit stop <whistles innocently> 
    Red ones are better. 
    Just been catching up on the second half over breakfast. Good race overall - fantastic by Lando in particular. 

Checo taking no responsibility as usual even it was clearly only not laid at his door by the stewards because 1) he was out and 2) I'm guessing they want to get home alive... And on the weekend DR shows he's back to his old self. 

Ironically Yuki also doing exactly the same shit as Perez which is very nearly as funny.