The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1421
    Boromedic said:
    ^^^ yeah, but it's like Clough/Revie, some teams and drivers would do it the right way, and others would do it the wrong way. RBR and particularly Verstappen are definitely in the latter category, classless and cartoon villainous. It's like watching the bad guys win and it feels wrong to me.

I had to laugh at Horner in the press stating about dynasties, and how they'd broken Mercedes dominance without a reg change. Errrr no Christian, you were given the title by the FIA, subtle difference, dickhead. Plus you didn't win the constructors either....
    Oh I hate the hypocrisy of Max when it comes to racing, and of Horner when it comes to anything at all.

2021 was a farce.  I really hope budget cap rules are being followed enough by everyone.

In 2023 they are just so far out in front but it's the way that they got the win when it wasn't a gimme too.  That's what made it so impressive.  Max drove like the title was on the line in every race.  

That's not to say others couldn't do that too, given that seat in that car.  19 wins, though maybe he can thank Sergio for that opportunity.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PennPenn Frets: 759
    They don’t need the money. Honest. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I figured he’d secured it since they hadn’t announced anyone else already. 

I think one more season is warranted, assuming the car is probably a bit tricky to drive. He was closer to Alex towards the end of the season 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7701
    I figured he’d secured it since they hadn’t announced anyone else already. 

I think one more season is warranted, assuming the car is probably a bit tricky to drive. He was closer to Alex towards the end of the season 
    He did seem to be getting there towards the end, it has to be said.

Interesting piece in Motorsport Magazine, which sat down and did what I was too lazy to do; worked out what would have happened in 2023 if Verstappen has, well, just not been there at all.

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/articles/single-seaters/f1/7-winners-and-a-proper-title-fight-the-2023-f1-season-without-verstappen/

Perez would have still handily taken the title, more than 50 points clear of Hamilton.  But it would be Brazil before he secured the title.

At the end of the year, behind Perez and Hamilton, would have been Alonso, Norris, Leclerc and Sainz respectively separated by just nine points in the battle for third. 

But the biggest surprise was on the race wins.  Perez would have taken 6 wins, Hamilton, Alonso and Leclerc 3 apiece, and Sainz 1.  Lando Norris, however, would’ve racked up race wins in Britain, Hungary, Japan, United States and Brazil.  

Real shame, could’ve been a great season.

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4263
    dazzajl said:

I wonder if Newey gets info from military stealth jet designers!

They probably ask him 
    He did his Thesis on Ground Effect and is also the only current designer to have been in place when the first generation of Ground Effect cars were racing
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25495

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

IMG_3202.jpeg 366.9K
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PennPenn Frets: 759
    Why do I suspect there’s true. Sort of thing they’d do. 
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 5059
    I wonder who started the rumour behind this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/67654980

Penn said:
    Why do I suspect there’s true. Sort of thing they’d do. 
    It’s actually a really good book; well worth a read.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28679
    edited January 10
    Gunther is out!! 

Honestly I'm not really shocked. They've been more or less at the back for long enough now that you have to make changes if you want to get different results. It was maybe explainable with Mick & Mazepin, but with Hulk & KMag you have far fewer excuses. 

That said, it sounds like Gunther wanted investment in the factory to enable them to design & build better cars, and Haas just wants to spend more efficiently. That might have worked in the old days but when you have Williams & Sauber making big plans for future investment, it's a struggle to see how Haas will ever go forwards. 

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/steiner-haas-komatsu-f1-team-principal-role/10564487/ 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25495
    Booo! I like him.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• The Netflix 'Drive To Survive' producers will be gutted!
    I doubt we’ve seen the last of Sweary Guenther.  He’s got an excellent reputation, and has apparently been in the UK ever since he learned his contract wasn’t being renewed.  I assume he’s not here for our excellent weather.

He’s also appearing at Autosport International this weekend; I’m guessing the organisers are arranging several extra truckloads of popcorn.
    Let's get "Gunther to Alpine" started nice a quick cos they haven't had a new boss in almost 6 months...
    It would certainly afford him the opportunity to stretch himself and curse in French for a change.

The Merovingian recommends it.

https://youtu.be/K1BHuYOb8fM?si=7OZfcKP6rK7l-vIm 

edited January 17
    McLaren going early with the livery reveal. I really like it - amazing what how much better it gets just by removing the crap light blue bits from last year and tightening up the rest

If only they'd ditch the stupid Chrome wheel covers... 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 17
    Looks like they’ve recycled some of those Simon electronic games from the 80s for wheel covers.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 19
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12881
    Well that really rolls off the tongue don’t it?