The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• ColsCols Frets: 7701
    goldtop said:
    Eddie Irvine? Hard to like, but at least he gave Salo the trophy he missed out on due to team orders. 
    He was certainly a love-him-or-hate-him character, and many found his insouciant attitude maddening.  The inimitable Murray Walker couldn’t stand him, “simply because he was unpredictable. You never knew whether he was going to be courteous or bloody rude.”

He certainly had a decent chance of snatching the title in 1999 - not through having the best car or being the best driver, but more because McLaren were making such a hash of things with Hakkinen.  However, I always got the impression that, having lashed out on an impressive scale to secure the services of Michael Schumacher, Ferrari weren’t overly keen on their first title since Jody Scheckter going to Irvine.

Truth be told it would have been a bit of a travesty if he had won it, but he was certainly on top form that year and made the most of it when negotiating his Jaguar salary for the following season.  There’s a great story of a board meeting at Ford concerning salary costs, with the CEO exclaiming “Who the hell is Ed Irvine and why are we paying him 12 million dollars?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • markr76markr76 Frets: 410
    So, what's the mood like at Merc, @markr76 ?

(Genuine question, I'm not being an arse)
    No one seems too worried to be honest. I mean we knew this day was coming as Lewis isn’t getting any younger. I think everyone is quite optimistic for the future is the mood I’m picking up. Lewis knows he’s probably only got a few years left in him and he always said he’d love to race in a Ferrari before he’s done. 
    I personally would like to go out on a high with him if we can. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    markr76 said:

No one seems too worried to be honest. I mean we knew this day was coming as Lewis isn’t getting any younger. I think everyone is quite optimistic for the future is the mood I’m picking up. Lewis knows he’s probably only got a few years left in him and he always said he’d love to race in a Ferrari before he’s done. 
    As for drivers to replace him. I don’t have a clue who’ll get the drive. I’m sure we’ll end up with the right person. 
    From my point of view, we as a team need to improve and start looking like title challengers again. Then it’s much easier to get who you want! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 3026
    markr76 said:

Well said.

And thank you for the insider insights.  Genuinely very much appreciated. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    markr76 said:

Well said.

And thank you for the insider insights.  Genuinely very much appreciated. 
    No worries. 

I do try and share when I can. Obviously there are things I won’t talk about on here. Loose lips sink ships and all that! 

I will add though. On a personal note. The only thing I felt disappointing with was the fact I hoped that Lewis would have finished his career with us. As for me it’s been a privilege to have helped him win so many championships. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25495
    edited February 5
    Blimey - Christian Horner under investigation for inappropriate conduct:

Christian Horner under investigation after allegations of 'inappropriate behaviour' | F1 | Sport | Express.co.uk

It's reported in several places, here and in europe.

RB seem to have done exactly the right thing though - instructed an independent barrister to investigate it straight away.
    Horner denies it all.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 8085
    My only bit of F1 merch is a Damon Hill Jordan cap from 1997/1998-ish. 

Hill’s chevrons on a navy cap with Jordan sponsors on it. I still wear it whenever I go to a race :) 

I had a Damon Hill cap too, but left it the pub one night and never saw it again.

I've got a few bits and pieces here given to me my a friend who used to work in F1 - I've got a team sweatshirt from Stewart GP with all the sponsors patches on, some odds and ends from Jaguar and a Renault shirt from the Mild Seven days.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister

Christian Horner under investigation after allegations of 'inappropriate behaviour' | F1 | Sport | Express.co.uk

RB seem to have done exactly the right thing though - instructed an independent barrister to investigate it straight away.
    Horner denies it all.
    Allegations have been made by a female colleague.  This’ll be interesting…
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 4105
    edited February 5
    Cols said:

Horner denies it all.
    Allegations have been made by a female colleague.  This’ll be interesting…
    Wouldn't surprise me at all. He's always seemed like an utter prick to me.
  • Cols said:

Horner denies it all.
    Allegations have been made by a female colleague.  This’ll be Spicey
    Fixed that for you.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 8092
    edited February 5
    Allegedly the inappropriate behaviour in question is letting the "Hamilton to leave Mercedes" news go by without daily snide remarks to any passing journalist - this kind of thing is just not how Red Bull do things and he's in a lot of trouble for it. :-) 
    Red ones are better. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    BILD are reporting that the allegations are that Horner sent 'photos' to an employee.

Formel 1: Red Bull – Ermittlungen gegen Verstappen-Boss Chrisitan Horner | Sport | BILD.de

If it's just that half naked calendar thing he did before he tried and failed to be an F1 driver - then that's already in the wild.

If it's something new...

Some of F1 Twitter are reporting that he's been advised to resign!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    BILD are reporting that the allegations are that Horner sent 'photos' to an employee.

Formel 1: Red Bull – Ermittlungen gegen Verstappen-Boss Chrisitan Horner | Sport | BILD.de

If it's just that half naked calendar thing he did before he tried and failed to be an F1 driver - then that's already in the wild.

If it's something new...

Some of F1 Twitter are reporting that he's been advised to resign!
    *Desperately hoping no-one posts that here.  There is not enough bleach in the world to minister to my eyeballs after a second exposure to those pictures*
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6515
    Judging by the glee on the F1 reddit, helmet reveals are surprisingly popular.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

The new Sauber.

I like it!

The new Sauber.

I like it!
    That’s…. quite lurid.

Did they bag Monster Energy as a title sponsor?  Or Xbox?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• The new Sauber.

I like it!

So do I. It looks like the sort of thing I would have designed on my Xbox a few years ago :)

The team name is still shit, though.
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• goldtop said:
    Judging by the glee on the F1 reddit, helmet reveals are surprisingly popular.

Poor old Christian. All he did was send a photo of him and his Helmut...

Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• The new Sauber.

I like it!
    Gonna make it a bit tricky to use the Flow-Viz during testing...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

RB HQ.jpg 353.9K
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom