The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28678
    Various things discussed on Reddit suggesting Horner was actually just telling a mid-level employee what to do and she took offence, and the Jos/Marko camp has used this to hype up the possibility of getting Horner out as if that’s somehow in Max’s long term best interests. 

Just as believable as the “Horner is a skeezy POS” option tbh. 

What a lovely bunch of folks the RB team (and hangers-on) seem to be… 

Whatever happens I hope Newey goes to Ferrari!! 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Seems like with the current weight regs, most cars these days are gonna be bare carbon fibre with the odd streak of paint and a couple of sponsor logos. Alpine the latest to launch...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7701
    Various things discussed on Reddit suggesting Horner was actually just telling a mid-level employee what to do and she took offence, and the Jos/Marko camp has used this to hype up the possibility of getting Horner out as if that’s somehow in Max’s long term best interests. 

Just as believable as the “Horner is a skeezy POS” option tbh. 

What a lovely bunch of folks the RB team (and hangers-on) seem to be… 

Whatever happens I hope Newey goes to Ferrari!! 
    Also reported in The Sun, always a bastion of clear and honest journalism:

It is said that ‘Horner had concerns about her (a female employee’s) conduct and made it clear he was unhappy,’ before ‘she went on to make a complaint about his controlling behaviour’.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 1430
    He's essentially the CEO isn't he? He's supposed to be in control. Any boss that isn't in control isn't likely to be very good.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    S56035 said:
    He's essentially the CEO isn't he? He's supposed to be in control. Any boss that isn't in control isn't likely to be very good.
    In this context, “controlling behaviour” means something different than being in control of your team.  For instance:

Using fear and intimidation to get people to do your bidding.

Deliberately withholding information to exert control.

Belittling your staff.

Dominating meetings and talking over people.

Micromanaging.

FWIW: Horner’s been in charge of Red Bull for 19 years, and in that time the team’s won 7 titles.  That’s pretty impressive, and you don’t achieve that by being shit at people management.  Personally I think he’s an arsehole, but something about this doesn’t ring true.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28678
    Seems like with the current weight regs, most cars these days are gonna be bare carbon fibre with the odd streak of paint and a couple of sponsor logos. Alpine the latest to launch...

I caught a bit of the livestream launch on YouTube. Those poor drivers being made to talk up the cars potential when they know it’s all new which probably means hard to set up for the first 6 races, and likely scrabbling to get points at all… 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Seems like with the current weight regs, most cars these days are gonna be bare carbon fibre with the odd streak of paint and a couple of sponsor logos. Alpine the latest to launch...

I caught a bit of the livestream launch on YouTube. Those poor drivers being made to talk up the cars potential when they know it’s all new which probably means hard to set up for the first 6 races, and likely scrabbling to get points at all… 
    See, this is where the sport is missing someone like Kimi. 

Presenter - "So Kimi, tell us - how excited you are about the new car, and what do you think the potential is for the new season?"

Kimi - "Dunno, never driven it."

</end interview>
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Cols said:
    S56035 said:
    In this context, “controlling behaviour” means something different than being in control of your team.  For instance:

Belittling your staff.

Micromanaging.

FWIW: Horner’s been in charge of Red Bull for 19 years, and in that time the team’s won 7 titles.  That’s pretty impressive, and you don’t achieve that by being shit at people management.  Personally I think he’s an arsehole, but something about this doesn’t ring true.

I might well be being naive in trying to think the best of someone but I've always thought that Christian Horner seemed like a hardnosed bastard but essentially an alright bloke; he's clearly an excellent team boss and you don't get that by being nice, but outside of work I've always had the impression that he'd be quite interesting to talk to and would probably come across pretty well.
    I'm ambivalent about Red Bull as a team (although I used to really like the Red Bulletin), and I'm definitely not a Max fan, but I will be quite disappointed if Horner's career ends over this - although I would *love* it if Adrian Newey went to Ferrari and Lewis won another championship or two :)
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• markr76markr76 Frets: 410
    Cols said:
    S56035 said:

Belittling your staff.

Micromanaging.

I might well be being naive in trying to think the best of someone but I've always thought that Christian Horner seemed like a hardnosed bastard but essentially an alright bloke; he's clearly an excellent team boss and you don't get that by being nice, but outside of work I've always had the impression that he'd be quite interesting to talk to and would probably come across pretty well.
    I'm ambivalent about Red Bull as a team (although I used to really like the Red Bulletin), and I'm definitely not a Max fan, but I will be quite disappointed if Horner's career ends over this - although I would *love* it if Adrian Newey went to Ferrari and Lewis won another championship or two :)
    From what I’ve heard from people who work at redbull is he seems like quite a nice chap to chat to. 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25495

;) ;) 

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

Guenther.jpg 226.5K
  • euaneuan Frets: 1942
    markr76 said:
    Cols said:
    S56035 said:

Belittling your staff.

Micromanaging.

From what I’ve heard from people who work at redbull is he seems like quite a nice chap to chat to. 
    Decent chap, who left his partner of 14 years, six months after having a baby for a Spice Girl. Clearly so decent that his parents stopped talking to him and didn’t come to his wedding as well as wider family. 
    euan said:
    markr76 said:
    Cols said:
    S56035 said:

Belittling your staff.

Micromanaging.

Decent chap, who left his partner of 14 years, six months after having a baby for a Spice Girl. Clearly so decent that his parents stopped talking to him and didn’t come to his wedding as well as wider family. 
    Thing is though. All that stuff is his personal business. For all we know his ex wife might have been a complete bitch. Who knows what goes on behind closed doors. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    euan said:
    Decent chap, who left his partner of 14 years, six months after having a baby for a Spice Girl. 
    But if he hadn’t done that, we wouldn’t be able to make all the excellent Whinger Spice jokes!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • euaneuan Frets: 1942
    markr76 said:

Thing is though. All that stuff is his personal business. For all we know his ex wife might have been a complete bitch. Who knows what goes on behind closed doors. 
    So we are in agreement that someone can present one way to a group of people and be a horrible bastard to an individual in private?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • euan said:
    markr76 said:

So we are in agreement that someone can present one way to a group of people and be a horrible bastard to an individual in private?
    I don’t think that’s what any of us are saying. I said that I thought he seemed like a decent bloke (I’ll admit, I didn’t know about his marital journey), and Mark said that he knows people who said that he’s a nice chap to chat to; and that we don’t know the ins and outs of his first marriage.

Leaving someone is never nice, but sometimes there is a valid reason. I don’t know anything about Christian Horner other than what I’ve seen on TV (races and Drive to Survive), or read online. I can’t comment on wy he left, but I can say that I left my first wife because she was a control freak who was abusing me. Lots of people thought I was the bad guy (and lots of them cut me off completely) because I never told anyone what was going on at home.

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2807
    Yes. Although I only spoke to him a couple of times personally. He was very well thought of here at Mercedes. To be honest a lot of the top technical people I’ve met and chatted to since I’ve been in F1 were nice to talk to. James Allison in particular. He’s extremely nice and very funny. Also very interesting and eloquent when he speaks. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • New Aston Martin revealed. Quite a handsome thing IMO...

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25495
    euan said:
    markr76 said:

Dr Crippen had character witnesses at his trial.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • New Aston Martin revealed. Quite a handsome thing IMO...

I think it looks great; although I’m not sure I can spot any differences to last year’s car. Slightly darker shade of green?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom