The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28678
    New Aston Martin revealed. Quite a handsome thing IMO...

I think it looks great; although I’m not sure I can spot any differences to last year’s car. Slightly darker shade of green?
    More black bits. Seems to be a theme. 

At least Toro Rosso is back! 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7701

It does look nice.  

I finally got round to watching the Brawn GP documentary on Disney; I’d forgotten how bloody ugly the cars were back then.

Not as bad as 2012 though.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Ugly but colourful… it’s easy to tell every single car apart from the front or side. I miss those days!

At Abu Dhabi I mm the evening gloom I honestly struggled between Alfa Romeo, Merc, and Williams, and even McLaren wasn’t that different in their special/stupid livery
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25495

I think it looks great; although I’m not sure I can spot any differences to last year’s car. Slightly darker shade of green?
    I dunno - the floor and the back of the sidepods used to look a lot more Blue & Red last year...

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 13
    I’m not going to read too much into the aero bits but I’m glad it’s more red than black. 

I’m sure Reddit will tell me why I should care about push/pull rod suspension at the front/rear. 

Hope it’s fast 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25495
    The new Red Bull has been on track at silverstone today.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C3TKYjiNJwL/?igsh=Zjh0MDQ1bDhidHhn

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• Some more actual paint on a car! (Well, on the nose at least...)

Well it certainly looks better than last year. I hope it’s properly quick, but any comprehensive change of concept suggests a few races are probably needed to bed in and fully understand it. 
  • BrioBrio Frets: 2245
    Anyway, back to the important stuff. If RB do payoff an individual how big a hole will it make in their budget cap and how much windtunnel time will lose?
    edited February 15
    Brio said:
    Anyway, back to the important stuff. If RB do payoff an individual how big a hole will it make in their budget cap and how much windtunnel time will lose?
    I don’t think Horner’s salary would be capped because your 3 top non-driver salaries are outside the cap. 

Not sure what happens if they had to pay a settlement with a more junior staff member though. 

EDIT: I did see a comment on Reddit speculating this might be linked to a move for Hannah Schmitz (principal strategy engineer) by another team (you’d assume Ferrari…) and the controlling behaviour complaints could be related to not wanting to play nicely on notice and gardening leave periods. But pure speculation afaik
  • ColsCols Frets: 7701
    Brio said:
    Nothing.  The delightfully termed “All Employee Termination Benefits” are outside the budget cap.
  • euaneuan Frets: 1942
    But as I believe…he will have been paid in this budget cap term, they cannot exempt the person who may replace him from the budget cap under the top three paid personal. 
    euan said:
    But as I believe…he will have been paid in this budget cap term, they cannot exempt the person who may replace him from the budget cap under the top three paid personal. 
    Haha yes could be. But you’d assume if he & replacement are both on payroll then they’re both paid monthly and one would replace the other on day of transfer? 
    Yep but you’d had to pay that person more surely. And that wouldn’t be exempt from the cost cap. 

Apparently Newey isn’t working on the RB20 this year to allow someone else to be in the cost cap top three. He is working on the RB17. 
    euan said:
    Yep but you’d had to pay that person more surely. And that wouldn’t be exempt from the cost cap. 

Apparently Newey isn’t working on the RB20 this year to allow someone else to be in the cost cap top three. He is working on the RB17. 
    Unlikely, comparing 20 years experience against “this is a great opportunity to prove yourself” 

but either way if it’s outside the cap it doesn’t matter 
    edited February 15
    It’s not outside the cost cap is what I’m saying. 

Like the Wind Tunnel rules where you can only nominate one tunnel to use for that year, you can only list three cost cap personal exemptions. If CH was to leave they can’t say now he isn’t here we are exempting Jonathan Wheatley’s salary instead. 

In that same case if JW was to become TP someone would need to fill his role and so on. So there are cost cap implications.  
    euan said: 
    It’s not outside the cost cap is what I’m saying. 

Like the Wind Tunnel rules where you can only nominate one tunnel to use for that year, you can only list three cost cap personal exemptions. If CH was to leave they can’t say now he isn’t here we are exempting Jonathan Wheatley’s salary instead. 

In that same case if JW was to become TP someone would need to fill his role and so on. So there are cost cap implications.  
    Nah I’d guess it’s based on role or cost rather than name, otherwise it’d be ridiculous 
    When I last read the cost cap rules, which was during the RBR cheating saga, it’s very much based on name. 
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14198
    edited February 15
    Cols said:
    S56035 said:
    He's essentially the CEO isn't he? He's supposed to be in control. Any boss that isn't in control isn't likely to be very good.
    In this context, “controlling behaviour” means something different than being in control of your team.  For instance:

Using fear and intimidation to get people to do your bidding.

Deliberately withholding information to exert control.

Belittling your staff.

Dominating meetings and talking over people.

Micromanaging.

FWIW: Horner’s been in charge of Red Bull for 19 years, and in that time the team’s won 7 titles.  That’s pretty impressive, and you don’t achieve that by being shit at people management.  Personally I think he’s an arsehole, but something about this doesn’t ring true.
    ADMIN EDIT: This video's audio describes stuff you definitely don't want anybody at work (or your kids) hearing.

o 

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom