The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25492
    I just got a NowTV offer for 19.99 a month for 12 months for Sky Sports.

Same discount as last year. So I'm having that!

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DontgiveupyourdayjobDontgiveupyourdayjob Frets: 4121
    edited February 22
    I just got a NowTV offer for 19.99 a month for 12 months for Sky Sports.

Same discount as last year. So I'm having that!
    Ah sweet. I was just weighing up a £26.99 for 6 months deal yesterday and thought better of it. Good job I did!

Morning session ended early due to a problem with the track that damaged the Merc and the Ferrari. Shades of Vegas last year....  :/
  • ColsCols Frets: 7701
    So what did we learn from testing?

Ferrari fastest... but LeClerc’s time was set on softs, while Verstappen did his on old mediums.

• BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5201
    It's gonna be another awful season watching that orrible cunt run off with the title. 

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5201
    edited February 24
    On reflection, I've been bored watching YouTube analysis on the tests. There is some hope that Ferrari have fixed some issues and are genuinely quick. Fingers crossed that this correlates to the action next week, and although I'm sure the title will end up with RB hopefully it won't be a cake walk.

Also Horner getting fired would also be the icing on the cake :)

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 8092
    edited February 24
    I’ve finally (!) over the years got tired of getting pulled in to the pre-season speculation - and it’s worse than ever these days with even serious media outlets needing to fill the content hole with another grainy picture with arrows drawn on that might or might not be an insight in to some season-shaping widget that we’ll never hear about once there is actual things happening to concentrate on. 

Bring on the first race weekend.

Highlight of which for me will probably be Martin Brundle’s inevitable low key rant about silly team names :-) 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25492
    Agreed.

I don’t pay any attention to testing anymore.
    The only pre season stuff I look at is the new paint jobs so I have a chance of recognising the teams at the first race!

TBH I’m still annoyed McLaren aren’t in Marlboro red and white! 

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • euaneuan Frets: 1942
    It’s seems the new rulesets aimed at closing up the racing have actually only exacerbated it. A team that gets the new formula right has so much of a baked in advantage that its rivals can neither out spend nor out develop to make up the difference. 

There really needs to be accumulative aero testing restrictions rather than static ones. 
  • Anyone else been listening to the "Back To Base" podcast from the BBC? It's a multi-part series getting exclusive access to the Mercedes and Williams' factories during the off-season, narrated by Joseph Fiennes. 

It's really good so far, definitely worth a listen for any F1 nerd!
    euan said:
    It’s seems the new rulesets aimed at closing up the racing have actually only exacerbated it. A team that gets the new formula right has so much of a baked in advantage that its rivals can neither out spend nor out develop to make up the difference. 

There really needs to be accumulative aero testing restrictions rather than static ones. 
    There are.  Wind tunnel and CFD time is progressively restricted according to championship position.

Taking the 7th placed team (this year, Williams) as the 100% point, the higher championship positions get less time for wind tunnel and CFD.  As the top team, Red Bull get 70% of that allocated to Williams.  Heading down the ranking, the hapless Haas get 115%.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28677
    The problem for Haas is I don't think they know what to do with the extra allowance.

The problem with RB is they don't need it... 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    The problem for Haas is I don't think they know what to do with the extra allowance.

Well, there is that.  And fundamentally all teams have the same budget cap, so RB can take the wind tunnel budget and push it into another performance area.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Cols said:

Well, there is that.  And fundamentally all teams have the same budget cap, so RB can take the wind tunnel budget and push it into another performance area.
    Just think of the sandwiches!!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Hi Cols said:
    euan said:

There are.  Wind tunnel and CFD time is progressively restricted according to championship position.

Taking the 7th placed team (this year, Williams) as the 100% point, the higher championship positions get less time for wind tunnel and CFD.  As the top team, Red Bull get 70% of that allocated to Williams.  Heading down the ranking, the hapless Haas get 115%.

Yes I understand how the current rules work with the static modifier applied every six months based on championship position.  However given RBR still have their advantage(and increased it seemingly) three years in despite having an additional reduction for breaking the cost cap doesn’t really stand against the original aims of the rules. This was meant to avoid a Mercedes like domination. 

I’m saying the reductions should be accumulative. So if RBR are ahead in the championship after six months they get a 10% reduction on their hours. Then at the end of the year if they are still 1st they get a further 10% reduction on whatever their hours are at that point. And so on without the allowance ever being reset. In your example Williams would get no reduction, Haas would get a 10% increase at in June and end of season.

Cols said:

Last year RBR were really clever and pushed areas of wind tunnel testing that aren’t restricted. There’s no limits on testing cooling. You’re just not allowed to measure drag from external surfaces…
    euan said:

Cols said:

Last year RBR were really clever and pushed areas of wind tunnel testing that aren’t restricted. There’s no limits on testing cooling. You’re just not allowed to measure drag from external surfaces…
    Yeah I read that. Which really makes a mockery of the limits imo...
    euan said:

Cols said:

Yeah I read that. Which really makes a mockery of the limits imo...
    I disagree.  Just about every great motorsport engineer has a gift for looking at the rules and figuring out what they’re allowed to do, rather then what they’re meant to do.

There’s a great motorsport podcast series called ‘Engineering the Greats’, featuring the likes of Newey, Gordon Murray, John Barnard and suchlike.  Each of them has stories of finding a chink in the regs and exploiting it, while the others shouted “Hey, you’re not allowed to do that!” and they replied “Well show me where it says that…”

• Just found this thread! I noticed in the first episode of Drive to Survive, Lewis saying at start of 23 season, he's looking to get back the title that was stolen from him. First time I've heard him say anything about that.

In other news, I did a factory tour of red bull last month. It was truly remarkable.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    IT'S RACE WEEK!!! Quite a relief after what was expected to be a quiet break but was actually a bit mental. 

I'm not watching DTS because it's tabloid nonsense. But I also hope Lewis can go get the title that was stolen from him...! 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom