The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• DontgiveupyourdayjobDontgiveupyourdayjob Frets: 4120
    edited March 3
    Meanwhile, looks like Daddy Verstappen has some strong views about the Horner situation...

BBC News - Christian Horner: Jos Verstappen says controversy 'driving team apart'

I wonder if it was him behind the document links?! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7701
    Well, that went pretty much as expected as far as Red Bull is concerned.  It is, however, only the first race of the season (and Bahrain) - let's not get too despondent yet.

Sainz was a real star in the race and has quickly set about the important business of putting himself in the shop window for next year.  Mercedes must be taking a good hard look at him - I really can't see Red Bull being a possibility due to the history (and Max undoubtedly having a say in his teammate).

Perez continues to do pretty much as expected - qualify poorly, carve his way up through the field and finish about a pitstop's worth of time behind Verstappen.  Which is fine as long as the Red Bull has such excellent race pace; if the other teams manage to sort things out he'll be in trouble.  Fortunately for him, neither of the Baby Bull drivers look like a killer replacement at the minute.

Bit disappointed in Alonso falling back through the field after a decent qualifying.  Hopefully this is a one-off - he's normally murderously quick in the race.
    dazzajl said:
    If this is the pattern for the 24, I’m not even sure I’ll watch the highlights. 
    I do have to admit that I watched this race on highlights, and even with that ended up fast forwarding through much of the last third of the race.

• PennPenn Frets: 747
    Meanwhile, looks like Daddy Verstappen has some strong views about the Horner situation...

BBC News - Christian Horner: Jos Verstappen says controversy 'driving team apart'

I wonder if it was him behind the document links?! 
    I was about to post it to. 
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 6223
    The thing with Jos is that I really don’t think he has anything to gain. There is not a snowballs chance he’ll be TP but I wouldn’t bet against him being a dick just be he can. Seems he’s that kind of bloke. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • PennPenn Frets: 747
    edited March 3
    dazzajl said:
    The thing with Jos is that I really don’t think he has anything to gain. There is not a snowballs chance he’ll be TP but I wouldn’t bet against him being a dick just be he can. Seems he’s that kind of bloke. 
    https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/verstappen-arrested-after-girlfriend-assault/415763/

Think you might be right. 

• dazzajldazzajl Frets: 6223
    Have just seen Clarkson’s grid interview yesterday and when asked who’s going to win, he’s summed up the whole deal. Adrian Newey. 
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 5059
    Does Jos have any formal role at RB, beyond just being Max's dad?
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28672
    Nitefly said:
    Vice shit-stirrer, reporting to Helmut Marko? 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28672

Cols said:
    Well, that went pretty much as expected as far as Red Bull is concerned.  It is, however, only the first race of the season (and Bahrain) - let's not get too despondent yet.

Sainz was a real star in the race and has quickly set about the important business of putting himself in the shop window for next year.  Mercedes must be taking a good hard look at him - I really can't see Red Bull being a possibility due to the history (and Max undoubtedly having a say in his teammate).

Perez continues to do pretty much as expected - qualify poorly, carve his way up through the field and finish about a pitstop's worth of time behind Verstappen.  Which is fine as long as the Red Bull has such excellent race pace; if the other teams manage to sort things out he'll be in trouble.  Fortunately for him, neither of the Baby Bull drivers look like a killer replacement at the minute.

Bit disappointed in Alonso falling back through the field after a decent qualifying.  Hopefully this is a one-off - he's normally murderously quick in the race. 
    Agreed re Sainz, though Leclerc had major brake problems throughout, so presumably he'd have been much closer to Sainz or even Max & Perez had he been able to push more. Here's hoping! 

Either way I still seriously rate Carlos. He's more Prost than Senna, in that he's the thinking man who's not quite got that last 0.5% speed but can strategise his way into a good result far better than most. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    dazzajl said:
    He’s very close to Helmut Marko, kindred spirits in the sense of unsuccessful ex-F1 drivers who behave like dicks.  It’s strongly rumoured that Horner tried to put Marko out to pasture last year in an attempt to seize greater control of the whole Red Bull motorsport operation.  In the end, Marko had his contract extended - but with a rumoured 50% pay cut.

It’s quite plausible that Jos did indeed leak the files to exact a sort of revenge on behalf of Marko.  I doubt he has the cunning to engineer the whole scheme though.
    Nitefly said:
    Quite possibly he sees himself taking over the Red Bull Young Driver meat grinder after Marko calls it a day.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25492
    Nitefly said:
    Isn’t he Max’s manager?

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 5059
    Nitefly said:
    Isn’t he Max’s manager?
    Hmmm, Wikipedia says "Jos has also served as a manager for Max"...

• EmielEmiel Frets: 222
    Raymond Vermeulen has been Max Verstappen's manager since 2012. As far as I know Jos doesn't have any link to Red Bull apart from being Max' father. I don't think he or Marko have any interest to take control of Red Bull, Marko is over 80 and happy to be an independent advisor. Jos has always been an emotional and hot headed guy who wants to make sure nothing gets in the way of his son. I am not at all surprised he got into a (verbal) fight with Horner because he fears it might have a negative impact on the team. Red Bull  should keep him as far away as possible.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    In Jos’s defence, it must sorely test a chap with his history of violence to have been around Red Bull for the past 8 years without chinning Horner.  Whinger Spice has a very punchable face.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6511
    I really don't think anything can tarnish Red Bull's reputation and image. They're shameless. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/24/world/asia/thailand-crash-red-bull-heir.html
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2648
    tFB Trader
    You guys may find this interesting.. A new way to film F1 events? Forget the title. They realise quite quickly you cant compare a flying drone that weighs nothing to a car.... Instead they try to film a lap with something that can actually keep up with an F1 car.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7398
    Rabs said:
    You guys may find this interesting.. A new way to film F1 events? Forget the title. They realise quite quickly you cant compare a flying drone that weighs nothing to a car.... Instead they try to film a lap with something that can actually keep up with an F1 car.

Wow -that footage from 9:30 onwards is incredible! Lots of rear end twitches in the wet. Incredible skill from the drone pilot!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • JEMJEM Frets: 196
    mrkb said:
    Wow -that footage from 9:30 onwards is incredible! Lots of rear end twitches in the wet. Incredible skill from the drone pilot!

The driver's not too bad either, he might have some potential ;-)

• skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4404
    JEM said:
    mrkb said:

The driver's not too bad either, he might have some potential ;-)

DC has done a few videos with Red Bull recently, including one where he drove last year's car.
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25492
    The next race clashes completely with the rugby.

Difficult decision as to what goes on the TV and what on the iPad.
    The race might be very dull... and Ireland are going to tear apart England.

Might read a book instead.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom