The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1506
    Rabs said:
    You guys may find this interesting.. A new way to film F1 events? Forget the title. They realise quite quickly you cant compare a flying drone that weighs nothing to a car.... Instead they try to film a lap with something that can actually keep up with an F1 car.

Hardly ever check this thread, but I'm glad I did today. That is incredible. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7701
    Rabs said:
    You guys may find this interesting.. A new way to film F1 events? Forget the title. They realise quite quickly you cant compare a flying drone that weighs nothing to a car.... Instead they try to film a lap with something that can actually keep up with an F1 car.

Very impressive!

Thinking about applying it to a race - the turbulence thrown up by a field of 22 cars would make it a whole new ball game.
  • HaychHaych Frets: 6158
    Cols said:
    Rabs said:

Very impressive!

Thinking about applying it to a race - the turbulence thrown up by a field of 22 cars would make it a whole new ball game.
    Yes, that's a very salient point.  And what about the potential for them falling out of the sky and into racing traffic?  I doubt they are particularly substantial but still think they have the potential to cause crashes.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25492
    Gordon Bennett!

F1 Twitter is going mad. To summarise just today:

Apparently Ford want out of the deal with Redbull (F1 Insider)

Ben Sulayem is under investigation for trying to interfere with the 2023 SA GP (BBC)

And Gerhard Berger reckons Horner is staying at RedBull, Max is going to Merc, Newey to Ferrari.

This would all be hilarious!

The Yanks don't like backstage drama with their cash cows. Liberty must be very upset :D 

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 1430
    I want to see one of those Auditors turning up at Silverstone to use his drone and compare it!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6511
    Haych said:
    Cols said:
    Rabs said:

Very impressive!

Yes, that's a very salient point.  And what about the potential for them falling out of the sky and into racing traffic?  I doubt they are particularly substantial but still think they have the potential to cause crashes.
    I think this clip would help any F1 driver make up his mind:

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 1430
    It didn't hit him did it?  Perfectly safe!
  • HaychHaych Frets: 6158
    S56035 said:
    It didn't hit him did it?  Perfectly safe!
    It was the obvious motivation he needed to get the quickest time ;)

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28672
    Gordon Bennett!

Apparently Ford want out of the deal with Redbull (F1 Insider) Don't blame them!

Ben Sulayem is under investigation for trying to interfere with the 2023 SA GP (BBC) Wouldn't surprise me

And Gerhard Berger reckons Horner is staying at RedBull, Max is going to Merc, Newey to Ferrari. Yes please!

The Yanks don't like backstage drama with their cash cows. Liberty must be very upset :D 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Gordon Bennett!

Apparently Ford want out of the deal with Redbull (F1 Insider)

Ben Sulayem is under investigation for trying to interfere with the 2023 SA GP (BBC)

And Gerhard Berger reckons Horner is staying at RedBull, Max is going to Merc, Newey to Ferrari.

Wow!  That would certainly bring the house of cards tumbling down.  While Red Bull could certainly survive the departure of Verstappen, losing both Newey and Ford would be a complete disaster.  At this point I don’t think Ford’s decision is linked to whether Horner stays or goes - it’s more linked to how Red Bull treated Ford during the investigation, and how much of a PR shitshow it’s been.

It’s rumoured that the exit clause in Max’s contract allows him to walk if Marko quits.  I imagine it’s part of a larger condition allowing him to scuttle off in the event of the team losing certain key players (Newey, Marko, Horner, engine partner).  And I’d be surprised if Newey doesn’t have a similar clause.

One surprise in today’s news reports was that Newey apparently favours getting shot of Horner.  I know he likes to be involved in decision making - he left Williams because Frank and Patrick signed Villeneuve and got rid of Hill without consulting him - but I never thought he was into the whole political manoeuvring thing.

I wonder if many of Red Bull’s big sponsors have exit clauses as well?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 10067
    I’ve heard a rumour - admittedly second-hand and I know no more - that some teams are considering a breakaway series. 
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • BrioBrio Frets: 2244
    Right, let's bring back A1 then.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BrioBrio Frets: 2244
    Right, let's bring back A1 GP then. :-)
  • euaneuan Frets: 1942
    HAL9000 said:
    I’ve heard a rumour - admittedly second-hand and I know no more - that some teams are considering a breakaway series. 
    That’s the rumour every time the Concorde agreement is about to be renegotiated 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    An interesting back story to all of this is that Horner went to the Thai owners of Redbull with financial backers and tried to buy the team least year. 

euan said:
    HAL9000 said:
    That’s the rumour every time the Concorde agreement is about to be renegotiated 
    Yeah, the current one runs up to the end of next season.  It’s about the right time for teams to start seeing if they can shake any more loose change out of Liberty Media’s pockets.

The most recent threatened breakaway was back in December, with Liberty (rather than the teams) threatening to break from FIA governance after getting pissed off with Mohammed Ben Sulayem’s meddling.  Empty threats - the FIA manage the technical and sporting regulations, all safety aspects of motorsport (circuit licensing, car homologation, crash testing, barriers, helmet and overalls, etc) and any new series would have to duplicate that expertise.

• skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4404
    edited March 4
    So as if all this Red Bull stuff wasn't enough... the president of the FIA is being investigated too, for interfering with a race result:

Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

edited March 4
    Apparently this is only one of two instances of interferences he is currently being investigated for. 

I think with all of this chaos happening right now, the only person who could be behind it all, Bernie
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25492
    As the Newey rumours are not dying down at all Twitter is even funnier than yesterday.

The relatively new fans that think Max would win in a shopping trolley now seem to be far more worried about Adrian Newey leaving than any other factor. These are the same fans that think LH was a sham and only won because of the car, but they seem to be admitting that the same might apply to Max.

It's hilarious watching the arguments, and not least because I still reckon prime Senna would have wiped the floor with the pair of them in equal machinery.

[Flame on]

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • So as if all this Red Bull stuff wasn't enough... the president of the FIA is being investigated too, for interfering with a race result:

Not only that, he's now being accused of trying to deny the licence to hold the race to the Las Vegas organisers...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/68478049

Oh dear! 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom