The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5201
    Red Bull have Perez though.... McLaren will overhaul them by 8 points every race with him in the seat :)

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • euaneuan Frets: 1942
    goldtop said:i
    PhilW1 said:
    I think McLaren are going to throw both titles away trying to be too fair to the drivers,Norris should only be a couple of points behind in the drivers and McLaren really putting the pressure on for the constructors,
    If only Ron was still around...
    2007 says otherwise 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Random question - anyone ever been to see the Canadian Grand Prix? I've always wanted to go and see and GP abroad  (done Silverstone a few times now), and I've always fancied going to Canada. So I'm thinking why not kill two birds with one stone?!

Just wondering if Montreal is a good one to go to in terms of the race, facilities, trying to get accomodation etc.
    So, about a month ago I was weighing up the possibility of going to Montreal for the GP in 2025, as I've always wanted to watch a race abroad. I managed to find some tickets available (though most of the best ones were long gone), but then when I started totalling up the cost of flights and especially the hotels in Montreal it just became silly so I've sacked it off. 

After enjoying Monza so much I decided yesterday to look into going there next year instead. Lo and behold, I discovered that the tickets for 2025 went on sale at 12:30pm today.

I now have two Sunday tickets for the next year seated in one of the grandstands next to the first chicane for all the Turn 1 shenanigans!   :open_mouth: 

I also now have a massive crater in my credit card account - at least I've got 369 days to try and pay it off!  =)
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28672
    Good work sir! 

I've always fancied a Monza trip. Not always the best race to watch, but the atmosphere must be incredible 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Good work sir! 

I've always fancied a Monza trip. Not always the best race to watch, but the atmosphere must be incredible 
    As long as you're not under one of those giant Ferrari flags :lol:
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Strong tumours of Newey to be confirmed at Aston Martin, guess Stroll got the big cheque book out again if it's true. Alonso for a third world title?!! I'd be happy with that tbh, shouldn't take much to get them nearer the front again. 

edited September 4
    Random question - anyone ever been to see the Canadian Grand Prix? I've always wanted to go and see and GP abroad  (done Silverstone a few times now), and I've always fancied going to Canada. So I'm thinking why not kill two birds with one stone?!

Just wondering if Montreal is a good one to go to in terms of the race, facilities, trying to get accomodation etc.
    So, about a month ago I was weighing up the possibility of going to Montreal for the GP in 2025, as I've always wanted to watch a race abroad. I managed to find some tickets available (though most of the best ones were long gone), but then when I started totalling up the cost of flights and especially the hotels in Montreal it just became silly so I've sacked it off. 

After enjoying Monza so much I decided yesterday to look into going there next year instead. Lo and behold, I discovered that the tickets for 2025 went on sale at 12:30pm today.

I now have two Sunday tickets for the next year seated in one of the grandstands next to the first chicane for all the Turn 1 shenanigans!   open_mouth 

I also now have a massive crater in my credit card account - at least I've got 369 days to try and pay it off! 
    Pleased you've got Monza tickets, should be a great atmosphere and the history is amazing. That's a shame about Montreal as that's one I've always fancied

Think I'll try and do Spa one of these days!

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 8092
    Hopefully for them whatever widget he removed from the RB fits neatly on the AM :-) 
    Red ones are better. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Boromedic said:
    Strong tumours of Newey to be confirmed at Aston Martin, guess Stroll got the big cheque book out again if it's true. Alonso for a third world title?!! I'd be happy with that tbh, shouldn't take much to get them nearer the front again. 
    Stroll and Newey have a falling out before this ever happens 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7701
    euan said:
    Boromedic said:
    That’s why I thought Newey to Aston Martin was a non-starter; Stroll seems to have what could be diplomatically termed a ‘forceful personality’, and I could easily see him winding Newey up with demands for immediate progress.  

But apart from the need to up sticks and move to Italy, it seems that what put Newey off a move to Ferrari was a refusal by Vasseur to give Newey control of appointing technical staff.  So Stroll may have agreed that he’ll pay the money and otherwise bugger off and leave Adrian to it.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12878
    Daaaaaaddy ! Adrian messed up on my car again!! It’s so not fair!!! 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Cols said:
    euan said:
    Boromedic said:
    That’s why I thought Newey to Aston Martin was a non-starter; Stroll seems to have what could be diplomatically termed a ‘forceful personality’, and I could easily see him winding Newey up with demands for immediate progress.  

But apart from the need to up sticks and move to Italy, it seems that what put Newey off a move to Ferrari was a refusal by Vasseur to give Newey control of appointing technical staff.  So Stroll may have agreed that he’ll pay the money and otherwise bugger off and leave Adrian to it.
    Stroll has all the money to convince Newey, he also has all the money to make him go away 
    Honestly though it would be a fitting end for Alonso's career if he leaves AM just as they get a car that's properly quick in 2-3 years time...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25492
    @TimmyO ;

Do you remember a decade ago when we were both slagging off Lewis for sharing Jenson's telemetry from Spa?

Seems there's a twist.

Article by Matt Bishop, then of McLaren. He's just posted it on Twitter.

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/articles/single-seaters/f1/lewis-listen-delete-that-tweet-when-hamilton-posted-secret-mclaren-data/

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I don't get the Newey to AM situation.  Newey doesn't need the money.  He's said that before.  It was, according to Newey himself, never about the money, it was about the creativity, problem solving etc.  I just don't see how AM offers him that.  Maybe I'm just being naive.
    I don't get the Newey to AM situation.  Newey doesn't need the money.  He's said that before.  It was, according to Newey himself, never about the money, it was about the creativity, problem solving etc.  I just don't see how AM offers him that.  Maybe I'm just being naive.
    I suspect Stroll Snr has told Newey he has freedom to do what he likes, including hiring and firing from the team.
    Apparently that is what Ferrari refused to consider.

If Stroll is determined to win and will allow that approach, Newey has all the freedom he could ever need.

I have a thought - Stroll Snr wants a car that is so dominant that even Lance can win in it. If / When they get a car that good, Lance will be No1 and they won't hire a better driver to be next to him.

This is all about making Lance WDC in any way possible.

That might actually annoy Newey as I'm sure he'd prefer to be working with better drivers, but in the meantime he gets unlimited resources to play with.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 4
    I don't get the Newey to AM situation.  Newey doesn't need the money.  He's said that before.  It was, according to Newey himself, never about the money, it was about the creativity, problem solving etc.  I just don't see how AM offers him that.  Maybe I'm just being naive.
    I suspect Stroll Snr has told Newey he has freedom to do what he likes, including hiring and firing from the team.
    Apparently that is what Ferrari refused to consider.

If Stroll is determined to win and will allow that approach, Newey has all the freedom he could ever need.

I have a thought - Stroll Snr wants a car that is so dominant that even Lance can win in it. If / When they get a car that good, Lance will be No1 and they won't hire a better driver to be next to him.

This is all about making Lance WDC in any way possible.

That might actually annoy Newey as I'm sure he'd prefer to be working with better drivers, but in the meantime he gets unlimited resources to play with.
    I agree with this, but I don't think it's possible. 

Newey's cars are usually the quickest (or very nearly) in the right hands, but often intrinsically a little bit tricky to drive - see Vettel's conanda-effect and Max's twitchy 2022+ cars. You put someone less than those guys' calibre in the car and you end up getting a few podiums and wins but not winning titles (see Webber and Perez never mind Gasly & Albon). 

Stroll is quick on a good day, but I don't think there's anyone who genuinely believes he's in that Vettel/Verstappen category. 

I wish Newey well wherever he goes but I can't help wish he'd go for some proper glory rather than just the rich kids with the shiniest facilities near home.
    I don't think it is possible either.

Occasionally Lance puts together an excellent lap. But he's never done it for 60 laps.
    But that doesn't mean this isn't Stroll's intent.

I wanted Newey to go to Ferrari.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ^^same 

• dazzajldazzajl Frets: 6223
    Likewise, I don’t think there is enough money or enough Neweys to make Lance the champion. Nice that Daddy wants to do that though.