The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• ColsCols Frets: 7701
    I think it’s certainly a realistic goal to have such a technical advantage that only one car has a shot at the DWC.  2014-2016 was only ever going to be Mercedes.  2022-23 was similar dominance for Red Bull, but without the interest of an intra-team battle.

And in Newey’s history, we can also look back at Williams 1997, where the title was Villeneuve’s by virtue of a stonking car and despite him making an absolute pig’s ear of his season.

So if Newey pens an outstanding design for the 2026 Aston Martin, and Honda produces an excellent engine for the new regs, they could certainly steal it with any driver.

But it’s Alonso in the other car, and Stroll’s not showing any signs of being able to give Fernando a hard time.  It’s a bit like Hamilton and Bottas; over a season Lewis was relentlessly quick, while Valtteri could only beat him on the odd weekend.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25492
    Alonso won't still be there by the time the car is sorted out.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

Alonso won't still be there by the time the car is sorted out.
    Well… Newey joined McLaren in 1997 and at the first race of 1998 they were 2 seconds a lap clear of the rest of the field.

Newey will (presumably) be joining in 2025, and Alonso’s current contract runs up to the end of 2026.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28672
    Fernando must be looking at 2026 as the last hurrah. Maybe do 2027 as well if he's in the top 2 or 3 in 2026. 

That's definitely in line with how AM is running things, and I guess Lance might be within a shout the year after FA retires if the car is still quick enough (though from a business and sporting perspective that seems like a mad way to run a team)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • I really really hate the thought of Lance Stroll winning the WDC :)
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PennPenn Frets: 747
    Alonso is on borrowed time. The days of Fangio winning at 46 are so long ago they are rapidly moving out of living memory, 80% of the population wasn’t alive in 1957. Modern drivers don’t win at that age. Heck, Mansell is the last bloke to win a race is his 40s. 

Good as Alonso is 2026 is another couple of years and another little bit of age. Stroll might be comparable by then. 

We will see but Newey car or not I can’t see him winning another world championship. Wish he’d been in better cars and had a chance. It should be the best drivers fighting for wins. He’s been in crap cars all too often. 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25492

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • markr76markr76 Frets: 410
    If rumours are true. Aston Martin as well as us at Mercedes are trying to tempt Verstappen. So that might be their master plan rather than alonso. Or it could be Stroll jn who they’re looking to replace. Although his Dad’s the boss. He’s also a ruthless businessman, he’ll also know the majority of staff at AM don’t want stroll driving there anymore. Not that he really cares what they all think. 
    Another thing to take into account. Aston Martin are still building their new wind tunnel. Once it’s finished. It can take quite a while to optimise and get the correlation right. Plus if Newey is going there. He’s got to get everyone on board and working the way he likes. Which I’ve heard is it’s his way or no way. Plus he’s always looking over people shoulders.  Which is why I can see why the rumours were about, about Ferrari not too happy about him taking his technical team as part of the contract. He probably has a core of staff who just worship him and do as he says, who’re used to his methods. I’ve heard from friends at Redbull, that a lot of the designers a pleased he’s going in some ways. As he stifles a lot of them. Never lets them think for themselves. Which doesn’t make for a happy technical group if all the brainy people aren’t allowed to think!! 

I do think eventually though Aston Martin will be a real force in F1. Their factory looks amazing. Although all my pals there don’t like it as much. There’s glass viewing windows into all the departments. From a main central through way corridor, I think they call high street or something like that. They reckon it’s like working in a goldfish tank or it’s everyone watch you. But our place is just the same in that regard. I personally think it looks awesome! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • markr76markr76 Frets: 410
    It’s interesting reading some rumours I’ve read about redbull not being able to afford (within the budget cap) to sort their car out fully. Now that they are struggling against McLaren
    With all the memes of the “sort your f**king car out” coming back to hurt Horner. 
    That’s been one of our problems seeing as we built a turkey in 2022 onwards. They were telling us at work if there was no budget cap we’d have sorted the car long ago. It really does put a strain on the teams if you don’t get the car right out the box these days. 
  • Newey to AM confirmed...

BBC News - Newey commits to £30m Aston Martin deal
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5201
    Staggering amount of money, wow. 

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12878
    Salary up to £30 mil a year…..but with conditions. One of which is “if Lance doesn’t get the WDC five years running, we dock you 90%”. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Boromedic said:
    Staggering amount of money, wow. 
    And richly deserved.  Newey’s had his hand on 25 world championships, and would have been more were it not for the utter domination of the Schumacher-Ferrari era of early 2000s.

And all with British teams; he’s thoroughly deserving of a knighthood for services to British motorsport.
  • euaneuan Frets: 1942
    I actually think there is very little value there. Word was that he wanted more money, more control and for less work than he did at Red Bull. 
    markr76 said:
    It’s interesting reading some rumours I’ve read about redbull not being able to afford (within the budget cap) to sort their car out fully. Now that they are struggling against McLaren
    With all the memes of the “sort your f**king car out” coming back to hurt Horner. 
    That’s been one of our problems seeing as we built a turkey in 2022 onwards. They were telling us at work if there was no budget cap we’d have sorted the car long ago. It really does put a strain on the teams if you don’t get the car right out the box these days. 
    Maybe they just need to tweak their
    catering budget. 

Talking of, I wonder if they ever got those tax rebates from 2021…
    euan said:
    I actually think there is very little value there. Word was that he wanted more money, more control and for less work than he did at Red Bull. 
    Judging by the sharp correlation between Newey ceasing involvement in Red Bull's F1 work and their sudden loss of pace, I'd say it's money well spent.

I'm reminded of a story about the initial meetings between Newey and Horner, Mateschitz and Marko.  Red Bull were keen to get him on board, but when it came to salary discussions - Newey asked for the same as he was being paid by McLaren - the requested amount was not well received by Mateschitz.

Apparently Dietrich rang Gerhard Berger, who recalls the conversation thusly:

"Gerhard, we have Adrian Newey here in Salzberg, but he is very expensive; what should we do?"

"Well, it depends on the value you put on a second per lap"

Mateschitz took the point and approved the requested salary.  120 Grand Prix wins and 13 world championships to date seem to have vindicated his decision.
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5201
    Probably the only time Dietrich listened to anybody!!

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

Cols said:
    euan said:
    Judging by the sharp correlation between Newey ceasing involvement in Red Bull's F1 work and their sudden loss of pace, I'd say it's money well spent.

To lose pace, you first need it. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 8092
    euan said:
    Cols said:
    euan said:

To lose pace, you first need it. 
    eveything comes back to haunt you :   

Red ones are better. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28672
    Newly official at Aston Martin - Technical Managing Partner and Shareholder. 

Big stuff
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires