The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 8092
    Despite being a long-term Max critic (and not a fan of much of how he does things) I'm in the other camp here. 

The silly rule, and the silly punishment (a bit like the one about jewellery that also got called out as petty meddling, then ignored)do seem to represent and complete misunderstanding of what's relevant or important in the sport, and it comes from MBS as just another bit of his silly meddling. 

It's not "I want to swear" it's "this is a symptom of a bunch of silly crap, and it's the silly crap that's putting me off" 

imo 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyO said:
    Despite being a long-term Max critic (and not a fan of much of how he does things) I'm in the other camp here. 

The silly rule, and the silly punishment (a bit like the one about jewellery that also got called out as petty meddling, then ignored)do seem to represent and complete misunderstanding of what's relevant or important in the sport, and it comes from MBS as just another bit of his silly meddling. 

It's not "I want to swear" it's "this is a symptom of a bunch of silly crap, and it's the silly crap that's putting me off" 

imo 
    I do see your point and somewhat agree with this possibly being a symptom of a bigger issue.  However during press conferences and interviews which reach a global audience of all ages and all backgrounds - asking the people participating interviewees to be conscious of their language isn't unreasonable.  

The reaction against it, however,  appears to be "Im bigger than this so will make a fuss until I get my way".

The jewellery issues were different in that they couldn't offend anyone and the safety issues stated were minimal if not non existent.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6511
    ^ TBH, the whole Max-swearing punishment is stupid, not because of the merits or his reaction, but because it looks ridiculous compared to a long track record of unpunished racing transgressions.

(And also, I don't think he'll leave F1. He will want to stay to beat LH's records.)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5201
    I agree that the swearing in non pressure environments such as press conferences is unnecessary, however I've been reliably informed that in Holland there's less emphasis on swearing being an issue which could be why he's not as good at censoring himself there. That being said he's been around in a professional capacity long enough to know. 

The flip side is, he was right to point out swearing in the car is unavoidable during the heat of a race, and therefore the broadcast censoring is there for a reason so why should they have to worry about it. 

He's right what he says about kids learning it regardless, but there is no need for it during an interview. 

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28672
    I'm with @Timmyo and MV 100%. 

I don't want sterilised PR-party-line interviews from drivers - everyone complains about those whenever they happen so I don't believe the majority do either. And this will be the result of what is being asked.

Fuck that. 

Instead, they could just bleep anything sweaty for those parties who don't want to hear it. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 6223
    Oh I think Max is completely right to be dead against the censorship and the punishment, I don't think he needs to be such a self centred whiney little bitch about everything
  • ColsCols Frets: 7701
    Sad to see it's probably DR's last race but noone at RB will admit it in advance. Given Checo's consistent weakness I just find the whole situation baffling, though clearly entirely of RBR's own making
    Planet F1 have a theory that Liam Lawson will take over at RB and Danny Ric will sit out the next three races while working on the Red Bull simulator, then replace Sergio Perez after the Mexican GP.
    I think that’s wishful thinking.  You really can’t be failing to make it out of Q1 while your teammate qualifies in the top 10 and expect that you’ll be considered for the top team against a more challenging driver.

Perez doesn’t belong in Red Bull either.  If the team management had any sense, they’d just admit they might have been wrong about Yuki and give him a go in the senior team.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25492

Unexpected crossover! 

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• I'm with @Timmyo and MV 100%. 

I don't want sterilised PR-party-line interviews from drivers - everyone complains about those whenever they happen so I don't believe the majority do either. And this will be the result of what is being asked.

Fuck that. 

Instead, they could just bleep anything sweaty for those parties who don't want to hear it. 
    Reported to the mods for language. 
    6reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BrioBrio Frets: 2244
    Make him do work of value to the guitar community.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

IMG_8194.jpeg 186.7K
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ^^I mean we jest, but..... ;)

PlanetF1 (I know, I know) are reporting that Perez is thinking about retiring at the end of the season, and that RIC will be back because of it.

• HippoPeteHippoPete Frets: 135
    There is a small part of me that wistfully thinks that maybe Liberty Media and Netflix between have cooked up this drama between them. Imagine the viewing figures with respect to how this plays out on TV, unceremoniously dumped, fake tearful farewell, last, last, last minute reprieve in a race winning car. You couldn't make it up . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . or could you
    They don't want your name, they just want your number.
    PlanetF1 (I know, I know) are reporting that Perez is thinking about retiring at the end of the season, and that RIC will be back because of it.
    I think that’s wistful thinking at this point.  And I recall that they were reporting this time last year that Perez was definitely going to announce his at the Mexican GP…
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4263
    Much as everyone loves Danny, there are far too many young drivers out there who deserve an F1 seat so I can’t see Danny Ric driving an F1 car in anger again
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Sad times, but expected.  Shows how quickly fortunes can change, considering that 2 months ago it was an absolute cert that Perez was getting binned and DR was going to partner Verstappen.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 26
    Agreed, Red Bull need to really start sorting themselves out, it's turning into the football manager show in F1 at the moment with drivers being terminated part way through the season. Lawson deserves a chance though so at least that's something.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28672
    I just dont get it.

I can understand the feeling that DR isn't going to match Max if they brought him up to the big team again. But Perez still sucks, and they still clearly don't think Yuki's any better. 

I'm glad Liam's getting a drive, but I wouldn't want to be a Red Bull junior driver with the structure in its current shambling status. 

The fact that even yesterday people were still saying "maybe DR's going up to Red Bull and Perez will be dropped" speaks volumes. 

And overall I'm just gutted for DannyRic if this is the end. No fanfare, no fireworks, no donuts with Max in Abu Dhabi. It's just shitty
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires