What's your weirdest guilty pleasure in music?

What's Hot

Comments

• rlwrlw Frets: 4898
    George Jones.  Buck Owens.  Bob Wills.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlterlifesonAlterlifeson Frets: 489
    Easy - 90's country. Alan Jackson, Tim McGraw, Travis Tritt etc. Just simple, fun songs that don't take themselves to seriously.

Love Taylor Swift as well, fingers crossed I can get some Eras tour tickets!
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 8965
    @prowla ; I love Jim Reeves' voice also, and in particular "Welcome to my World".
    Your video links have been lost in your comment.  Jim Reeves - Welcome to my World.

The Seekers - Morningtown Ride (1966).  My Dad used to love The Seekers, so I grew up listening to them.

I also never tire of listening to Don Williams who made every song sound so laid back and effortless.  I think my favourite song by him is "It Must Be Love".

I still enjoy listening to some real old time gospel music occasionally.  My Mother used to listen to Mahalia Jackson when I was a kid and it brings back memories when I'm in the mood.  What a voice!  For guitar based old time gospel / delta style music I like The Staple Singers.  Listen to "Uncloudy Day" The Rossington-Collins Band did a good homage to this general style of music, albeit acapella, with "Pine Box".
  • CryptidCryptid Frets: 416
    Annie Lennox - No More I Love You's 

It was an intrusive earworm for years until I learned to fully embrace it. I've slipped it into a few open mic sets, really splits the crowd :lol:  
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 4209
    Taylor Swift, Lana del Ray
    Trading feedback thread:https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/172761/drofluf

Sporky: "Drofluf is a reverse vampire, who always appears in mirrors."
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3826
    Marillion

Alanis Morissette

Queen 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11670
    munckee said:
    Dusty Springfield and Dolly Parton for me. 
    Photos, or it never happened. 

There's loads of late 60s/early 70s pop that I love. The Tremeloes came up with some great stuff, and Chip Hawkes (father of Chesney) has a wonderful voice. Rick on guitar could let rip as well. 
  • LitterickLitterick Frets: 740
    Henry Mancini.
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3582
    Cryptid said:
    Annie Lennox - No More I Love You's 

It was an intrusive earworm for years until I learned to fully embrace it. I've slipped it into a few open mic sets, really splits the crowd :lol:  
    Only realised this was a cover version last month!

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 5059
    A few Aussie girls already mentioned, but my favourite was Tina Arena - the "Don't Ask" album was a cracker,with both Chains and Sorrento Moon.

I remember the guy who did the acoustic lesson in Guitarist mag transcribed a snippet (they'd given up doing whole songs by then, presumably for copyright reasons) which turned out to be the opening chords to Sorrento Moon, sort of Gmaj7 to A with a pushy driving strum pattern - surprisingly addictive to play!

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25004
    I don't think I have any guilty pleasures, but I still love almost everything from the Top 40 between 1976 and the early '80s, those were my "chart years".  I'm completely ignorant of modern chart music and you can tell me how great Taylor Swift is until you're blue in the face, I don't care.

The furthest away from my usual listening is probably Thea Gilmore, I latched onto one of her albums years ago and loved it, and I have most of her subsequent records but to be honest I've barely listened to them.

But hey, I love hair metal and my favourite band is the Scorpions.  Most of you probably think that should all be regarded as guilty pleasures.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74391
    I don't think anyone should be *guilty* about liking anything listed so far - it's all good music, even though some is a bit cheesy/square/un-rock'n'roll. But there's certainly nothing wrong with Duran Duran :).

I don't have "guilty pleasures" in that sense, but if I had to pick something I know is crap but I still love, it's Cascada ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7411
    Gary Glitter
    Lost Prophets
    Michael Jackson 

…they’d all qualify 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 13895
    The Carpenters
    Boy Meets Girl
    Ah-ha
    Shaky
    Glen Campbell (massive fan!)
    King

I could go on...
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 13895
    Easy - 90's country. Alan Jackson, Tim McGraw, Travis Tritt etc. Just simple, fun songs that don't take themselves to seriously.

Love Taylor Swift as well, fingers crossed I can get some Eras tour tickets!
    Absolutely nothing wrong about any of that!
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30125
    Sporky said:
    Biting down on a rag soaked in amyl nitrate whilst asphyxiating myself, listening to Adam Rickitts’ “I Breathe Again”. 

Or have I got this thread wrong? 
    We're not here to judge each other.
    Who logged in as me and posted this ridiculous hippy drivel?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34307
    Korean electronic music.
    I'm obsessed.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1551
    edited July 2023
    Duran Duran a guilty pleasure?!?
    In what world? One of the defining pop acts of the 80s with legendary tunes.

I'll play ... KC and the Sunshine Band - some killer tunes. Now that's a guilty pleasure.
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2979
    Kool and the Gang 
    Ian Dury
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10884

Robbie Williams first two albums for me.

Laugh, love, live, learn.