I've finally decided on a retirement date from work...31/12/2024

What's Hot

Comments

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14196

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    mrkb said:
    Im interested in how much per year people think they’ll need to retire. It’s something I’m struggling to work out, hence it’s difficult to determine when I can retire.
    You need to get a good handle on what you need to spend in retirement to be able to work this out. A detailed budget of annual expenses today can help build a sensible outlook of spend in retirement.

Have a look at James Shack on YouTube, some great solid building blocks to consider:

https://youtu.be/9NGajZhp-C0

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16654
    mrkb said:
    Im interested in how much per year people think they’ll need to retire. It’s something I’m struggling to work out, hence it’s difficult to determine when I can retire.
    Easy to underestimate, the cost of living crisis has really pushed up the price of Farah slacks, supermarket own brand white trainers and bobbly cardigans. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6813
    Much easier to learn how to spend less in retirement than how to get more money  :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24994
    mrkb said:
    Easy to underestimate, the cost of living crisis has really pushed up the price of Farah slacks, supermarket own brand white trainers and bobbly cardigans. 
    Just so long as it doesn't hit comfy grey shoes with velcro fastenings.  And off-the-shelf reading glasses.
    I've just handed my notice in...giving 12 months notice, so will retire as planned at the end of the year.

I took the red pill and will unplug from The Matrix and leave all this subservient b*llshit behind, living life on my terms, doing what I want, when I want with no commuting drudgery or treadmill corporate crap.

There...got that off my chest 

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16654
    Congratulations. Although jeepers 12 months notice that's a lot of time to mentally compose rude emails. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2
    Congratulations. Although jeepers 12 months notice that's a lot of time to mentally compose rude emails. 
    I've composed enough in my mind over the last 2 years to write a book...

I feel like I've come full circle. I didn't want a job at aged 16...I wanted to be in a band, play gigs, get a John Peel session, get a record contract, make albums and tour the world. 40 years later, age 56, after faltering at stage 2 (gigs)....I got a job, but still just like when I was 16, don't particularly want a job anymore.  

• CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4491
    Congratulations! Must be a great feeling.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13587
    CHRISB50 said:
    Congratulations! Must be a great feeling.
    this

and it is,  even better when they pay you to fuck off (sneakily not called redundancy cos of T&Cs)
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • Chris.BChris.B Frets: 310
    Congratulations - it's a great feeling, with so much to look forward to. 

I walked away from the corporate world at 57 and never looked back, despite a few calls to come back on my own terms - set your own hours, short term, long term etc.  

Good luck for a long and enjoyable retirement. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12878
    edited January 2
    Congratulations. Now set yourself up a countdown to retirement chart so you can tick off the remaining work days left. 

I took early retirement at 58, best thing I ever did. No more stress, early starts, the hassle of the daily commute, arsehole managers. The only thing I miss is the social side of work but it’s a small price to pay for the freedom. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24994
    boogieman said:
    Congratulations. Now set yourself up a countdown to retirement chart so you can tick off the remaining work days left. 
    No need to get that sophisticated...

4 Hundred Countdown Prison Royalty-Free Images Stock Photos  Pictures   Shutterstock

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12248
    I've just handed my notice in...giving 12 months notice, so will retire as planned at the end of the year.

I took the red pill and will unplug from The Matrix and leave all this subservient b*llshit behind, living life on my terms, doing what I want, when I want with no commuting drudgery or treadmill corporate crap.

congrats

bags me next
  • vizviz Frets: 11023
    So, at, say, 58, and speaking generally not specifically (if that's somehow possible), what sort of size pot would a couple need to live fairly comfortably? Assuming any kids are settled into jobs by then. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • HysterHyster Frets: 213

Good on ya! Hopefully you can wind down over the next year and ease your way in to a long and happy retirement.

I've become slightly obsessed with my pension over the last couple of years after realizing one day I was sleepwalking towards a disaster. All over it now though and shovelling most of my wage rises and all of my bonus in, if all goes well then 7 or 8 years to go for me most likely.
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4249
    viz said:
    So, at, say, 58, and speaking generally not specifically (if that's somehow possible), what sort of size pot would a couple need to live fairly comfortably? Assuming any kids are settled into jobs by then. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2
    viz said:
    Depends on loads of things. Will you still have a mortgage at that point? What’s your monthly outgoings? Are you keeping the same house or planning to downsize? Do you plan on replacing your car regularly? Do you like going on holidays? Do you (or your wife) like buying clothes/jewellery/guitars or other high ticket items? 

All I’ll say from experience is that you’ll probably end up needing more money in retirement than you think you will, as it’s almost impossible to calculate what your real world spending will actually be. I worked out what I thought I’d be comfortable with as a monthly income figure, then added 50% on to that as a safety margin. It still wasn’t enough. 
  • vizviz Frets: 11023
    So is 50K pa enough? I mean I know it depends, but is that enough, sort-of? For a couple with no debt
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    viz said:
    So is 50K pa enough? I mean I know it depends, but is that enough, sort-of? For a couple with no debt
    For an average couple (whatever that is these days!) yes I’d say so. It really does depend on your lifestyle and expectations though.