Minor moral dilemma

What's Hot
Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 25599
I donate to SPANA, the animal charity for working animals abroad, and I'm happy to give what little I can each month, as long as it's actually being spent on animals.  Lately however, they have taken to sending me what I term junk mail every month.  August it was a catalogue of gifts I could buy, last month it was a book of raffle tickets, and this week they sent me their 'News Magazine' and an 8 page survey they want me to complete.  I appreciate it's all aimed at increasing their income, but I won't be upping my direct debit and I object to my money being spent on shovelling this crap through my letterbox each month.

If I cancel my DD, I'll feel bad that I'm withdrawing help for the animals, if I tell them to remove me from their mailing list I'll still know that some of my money is going to print and post this crap, though I do understand they need to push to get money out of people.

I had to do the same with one of the dog charities I used to give to - tell them to jack it in and just take the bloody money.  Eventually I dropped them as money was too tight.

I don't mind the occasional mailing as long as it's not obviously expensive (glossy mag etc) but producing this stuff every month is a bit much.  I've just checked their accounts for 2012/13 and they spent £2.5M on treating sick and injured animals and an almost identical amount on 'generating voluntary income'.

What should I do ?

Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    Fuck the animals.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    I don't think that was an option Drew. Or legal. Well maybe legal in Wales.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    Agreed, Give your money to Cancer Research instead.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • For every charity that has got big enough to print glossy mags and other crap, there has got to be a startup that spends a higher %age of their income on what the charity was set up for. Its the natural order: they start small with few overheads then they get bigger. So look out for the little guys, donate to them till they get big enough to print glossy crap, then find another little one.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 25599
    That sounds like a plan.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    It's a dilemma with all charities I find.

How about looking for a local animal shelter and do some volunteering? Or find an independent group and donate directly to them?
    My V key is broken
    I watch these guys' videos on YouTube, it's a good cause.

My V key is broken
  • I've given up with all the major animal charities. Since my experience with them when we were utterly screwed and two of our dogs urgently needed medical attention, every single one of the majors responded with, "Sorry, we can't help you if you're not on benefits". Apparently most of the money goes on advertising and "raising awareness", contrary to what they're happy to have you believe.

I now donate to local low-kill animal shelters and rescues instead. That way, I know that all of the money is going directly to helping the animals.
    <space for hire>
    holnrew said:

How about looking for a local animal shelter and do some volunteering?

Not too easy to do.

My friends wife tried, but there was a bunch of hurdles to get over, CRB check (which you pay for), previous history of working with animals (if not you have to pay for training), work history, medical history etc, stopped her helping at the local Wood Green.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

mike_l said:
    holnrew said:

How about looking for a local animal shelter and do some volunteering?

Not too easy to do.

My friends wife tried, but there was a bunch of hurdles to get over, CRB check (which you pay for), previous history of working with animals (if not you have to pay for training), work history, medical history etc, stopped her helping at the local Wood Green.

Weird. There's a couple of local ones where you can walk dogs or pet the cats. I did it once in the summer, I keep meaning to again.
    My V key is broken
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    I don't see animals handing out fivers on the high street to me!

Needless to say she was disappointed there was so many hurdles put in the way. Especially when she's be cleaning the housing, feeding and watering, and not really handling/working with the animals. Seems a bit harsh.

Maybe if she'd tried a local shelter she'd have been welcomed with open arms?

• I work for a charity, with a big national presence, you will all have heard of it, but at a local level where i am employed we are constantly trying to raise funds for day to day essentials. We also work alongside other big charities that work for people with very specific health issues and who advertise widely on the telly and in newspapers/interweb etc.  Because of the health issue they support they get lots of sympathy and therefore lots of money.  So much so that they can't spend it all.  There staff are on salaries and pension plans that I could only dream of, all staff also have a private health plan, as whilst they work alongside the NHS its not considered good enough for their staff.  

They have an income of approx £150 million per year and their accounts show they spend only £90million per year.  There reserves would keep them running for years even if nothing more came in.  But they keep advertising about how they are a charity and how every penny matters.  It makes me a tad cheesed off.

Once a charity is big enough to advertise on national telly, they don't need ordinary people money.

Find a small local charity close to where you live and give directly to them.

• EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    I just adopted another dog that got abandoned outside my holiday gaff. I've had about 7 so far, most were old so died after a couple of years, but this one is a pup.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74500
    Cancel your donation and tell them exactly why. There's no other way to get through to the sort of consultants who persuade charities to adopt promotional methods like this - and no doubt get paid for it.

Find a local independent animal shelter and donate the money to them instead.

Exactly what I have done for similar reasons, because the charity I used to donate to sent one of those wankers round to my door to get a Direct Debit, even though I was already signed up.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Drew_fx said:
    I don't see animals handing out fivers on the high street to me!
    Don't see humans doing it either.
    My V key is broken
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2112
    We had exactly this with RSPCA , kept calling us to increase our payment. Cancelled in the end , then the started calling asking why, so we told them and they said oh..ok.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    spark240;377115" said:
    We had exactly this with RSPCA , kept calling us to increase our payment.

Cancelled in the end , then the started calling asking why, so we told them and they said oh..ok.
    RSPCA are effing hideous as a charity anyway, they build new facilities with more offices and less accommodation for animals, as a result pay salaries for people to fill those offices while killing healthy animals due to lack of space to keep them.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    It seems to me that you're happy to donate, but don't wnat the junk mail, so can you not tell them that? Maybe a phone call could get you off the mailing list?

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25006
    edited October 2014
    I must admit, I hate charities spending money on direct marketing - that is not what I want to finance when I make a donation. In the last two weeks, I've had two lots of REALLY sh1te Christmas cards (with an equally crap pen) from the Red Cross which they want me to send them money for.

I buy charity Christmas cards of my choice, from a charity of my choice every year - I don't need coercing into doing this.

I then sign them with my Montblanc fountain pen and feel I've done my bit....
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom