How hard is it to...

ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7507
edited October 2014 in Guitar
... Mod one of these to fit 3 single coils under a guard?

As far as I know, the bridge single coil won't fit because angles and stuff.  So, how easy or hard, and what sort of tooling would I need, to remove enough wood to squeeze one in?

I don't need another bridge bucker.  Although if it is difficult, I could 'borrow' the pickups from my Jazzmaster (cow-t-ron and strat singles) because I've scrapped it. Being gold will push cost of hardware up quite a lot though... XD
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Without measuring, I think a SSS scratchplate and 3 SC's will do the job nicely.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• mike_l said:
    Without measuring, I think a SSS scratchplate and 3 SC's will do the job nicely.
    I don't think it does - the corners of the bridge route are too small, as the pickup is angled... 

I think real Fender bodies use a slightly different route which accommodates both. This is all internet wisdoms, but I trust you lot more.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    A quick measure of the bridge pickup on both my Charvel and Strat, makes the SC approx. 1/2mm longer. That's straight, at an anle I can't see there'll be a problem with fitting.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 920
    Stick a P90 in there. It's a single coil!
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7507
    edited October 2014
    drwiddly said:
    Stick a P90 in there. It's a single coil!
    But it won't sound like a strat bridge pickup! 

I could just use the Cow-T-Ron.  I'll see how much wire it left on it...

Then replace with a single coil whenever, obviously.