SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Larrivee L-05

What's Hot
thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
edited February 29 in Acoustics £
This was bought new at the back-end of last year and I am the second owner as the previous guy moved it on to get a rosewood (edit: he actually sold to buy a few high-end mics). It's in pristine condition - as good as brand new.

I always wanted to try an L-body Larrivee and really wanted to stick with their amazing-sounding sitka / mahogany combination. However, I also have an OM-05 and P-03 which are the same woods so at least one had to go at some time. 

It's very, very resonant - there is a real lushness to it, almost a Santa-Cruz type ringing in the trebles and the bass is deep. The 05 series uses upgraded woods and you can see the sitka top has an attractive grain and silking. I can maybe take some sound clips and post them up at some point. Gloss finish. Official spec is 4.75" body depth at the heel but this one is 4.5" and it narrows coming to the shoulder so it's a slightly shallower L body, making it easier to play (and it is easy to play - it sits almost as comfortably as an OM). The L body is typically called the "Swiss Army Knife" of the Larrivee line as it fingerpicks well and can strum as well as a dread. 

Comes with the truss rod tool, registration booklet, Larrivee hard-shell case. 
Abalone rosette, flame maple binding, mahogany neck & ebony fretboard, JCL 18:1 tuners, bone nut & saddle.
Mother of pearl logo & dot markers. 

New, these are just under £2500 at Peach (that's on deal... usually £2800+), 
There's an old used one for £1700 on eBay. 
Reverting price to £2000 as this is in as-new condition and can't just give it away - ping me re offers. 
(Will need to figure out shipping - collection preferred if you fancy a trip Scotland Central Belt!)

I paid a lot more for my new OM-05 even considering the very generous guitar village discount I got.

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Awesome guitar and a great price! Best of luck with the sale 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    edited August 2023
    I've half been thinking about keeping it as it is the best sounding mahogany I've got but I always find myself reaching for the OM first.

Anyway, I did a little video (see below). 
    Recorded using Zoom H2n. 
    The strings are some months old (I use gauge 11). The guitar is practically brand new.

https://youtu.be/901DTEJYDNU
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 29
    Bump !

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2023
    Price reduction per above and a lovely new picture

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ditchboyditchboy Frets: 303
    That's a stunner, I've never considered one of their L shapes and have always gravitated to the OM or the D's but that is beautiful. GLWS. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thank you @ditchboy !

I've been playing it a touch and keep swithering whether to keep or not - the bass is immense out of this, much more than from their OMs... it sits on the knee like an OM and fingerpicks like one, as well as being the better strummer. Also has a high E sonic quality that is missing on my OM and wider overall frequency range. Shallower body depth is rare so it's their L but an even easier playing one - must have been manufacturing tolerance but it's a massive bonus. I've almost talked myself into keeping it lol... 
    I can see why! I’ve managed to negotiate an OM-02 for £800 which I’m really keen on although I slightly prefer the look of the 03 i.e the binding and the rosette. 
    edited October 2023
    ditchboy said:
    I can see why! I’ve managed to negotiate an OM-02 for £800 which I’m really keen on although I slightly prefer the look of the 03 i.e the binding and the rosette. 
    Is the OM02 Khaya or sapele and is it Larrivee or X brace? They all sound quite different! I wouldn't sweat the aesthetics tbh, just imo...
    ditchboy said:
    Is the OM02 Khaya or sapele and is it Larrivee or X brace? They all sound quite different! I wouldn't sweat the aesthetics tbh, just imo...
    Spruce top. Hog back and sides. Believe it’s the original bracing rather than the version they introduced on the OM40 etc but I’m not 100% sure. I haven’t been to see it yet as my GS mini hasn’t shifted so far. 
  • ditchboy said:
    ditchboy said:
    Spruce top. Hog back and sides. Believe it’s the original bracing rather than the version they introduced on the OM40 etc but I’m not 100% sure. I haven’t been to see it yet as my GS mini hasn’t shifted so far. 
    Often folk say hog but could defo be African hog (Khaya) or sapele. I'd ask for the serial and ping JR at Larrivee if you're curious, your call! The 40 series bracing is marmite even on the Larrivee forum, some love it, some not so much. Regardless, I bet it's a cracking guitar! Good luck shifting the GS Mini and here's to your Larrivee, my friend!
    Good suggestion. I’ve text the seller so will find out. Will Larrivee also tell me the bracing pattern do you know? 
  • You'd hope so, it's worth an email... 

Because to my ear these things really make a difference and it's nice to know exactly what you're buying :)
    The alternative is an OM-03 in Walnut but it’s on market place so potentially a risky purchase. Guy seems legit and has said he will show me ID etc but it’s £200 dearer. You had any experience of that wood in a Larrivee? Ironically the same wood on my gs mini. It looks superb I will say. 
    edited October 2023
    Yeah I only tried walnut a few times. Sometimes it can be very trebly. But on the Larrivee it had a really deep bass. It's "drier" than mahogany and I personally preferred the "wetness" of mahogany (I A*B'd it Vs an OM03 hog at the time) but many people love walnut. Ed at Halcyon likes walnut but I'm going to stick with sapele for my custom build... A wood often looked down on by tone junkies but funnily enough the wood which Santa Cruz and Bourgeois use for their Anniversary models .......... 

If you like a touch drier sound with thumping bass then it's for you. Imo I would forget about aesthetic. The OM02 range is fantastic and you cannot go wrong with sapele or hog. It's as safe a bet as you'll get. I also have to say I MASSIVELY prefer the original Larrivee bracing. It gives a better sound, to my ear... The feel is also a bit different. If you want more bass, bigger body is better way to do it (a la the L here). You don't get something for nothing re bracing modifications and with more bass you can often tend to lose a mid-treble brilliance. Bass is overrated, imo. Larrivee's recorded sound is more than adequate in terms of bass. And to note, this L has the bass but retains mid-treble brilliance because the body is bigger and no scalloping. It's the best all round versatile design (and no scalloping usually means you can drop tune easier, too). I personally just have too many guitars, though - especially with a custom sapele coming in a few years!
    Thanks @thomasross20 the OM-02 is also about 45 minutes away so I’ll be able to play it before deciding. 
  • @ditchboy you should 100% do that... And report back, please :)
    Serial number check says mahogany on the website but I’ve emailed for further info. 
  • :) tbh mahogany or sapele, both are amazing lol. It's the bracing that is the deal breaker for me (personally speaking, maybe not for you)