Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

MYTHBUSTING: too many guitars

What's Hot

Comments

• slackerslacker Frets: 2302
    Some people confuse opinion with absolute truth. Then there's the worked for me so it's got to work for you theory. Then there's professional. A pro teacher earns money at it don't mean they are a good teacher.

My advice buy what you want and if you want to improve learn some songs. I can't play fast but every month or so have a bash  at thunderstruck. Getting faster.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SvartmetallSvartmetall Frets: 756
    edited August 2023
    One thing - I do find I'm one of those guitarists who plays differently depending on which specific instrument I'm on - like if I pick up a Tele I don't play anything like the same stuff I'll play on a big jazz box, or a 7/8/9 -string or whatever...I always liked players like Lifeson and Howe who played a lot of different guitars and got lots of different sounds, textures and moods by doing so, and I think that's kind of rubbed off on me. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2494
    edited August 2023

There's something else about having a bunch of guitars.

Creative inspiration.

When you bring something out of its case and haven't played it for a while, once it's tuned and warmed up to hands, it'll inspire playing and coming up with ideas or simply playing stuff that the guitar suggests.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • TeflonTeflon Frets: 229
    I don't understand the desire to buy many guitars. I don't have the money or space for it! It's none of my business what anyone else does.
    I don't understand it either - it's bonkers. Still do it though. 7 electrics, all pretty much the same, that I can't really justify. I love them all though, and I dare say there'll be more at some point.  I do think about lessons, as I'm sure it would help me, but I think I may need just one more guitar before I take the plunge  ;)

Cliff
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15215
    Tannin said:
    "If you spent half the money you spend on new guitars on lessons, you'd be a better player."
    That sounds like a variation on the Vivian Stanshall character, Sir Henry Rawlinson, who once boozily opined, "if I had all the money I've [ever] spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1687
    edited August 2023
    Teflon said:
    I don't understand the desire to buy many guitars. I don't have the money or space for it! It's none of my business what anyone else does.
    I don't understand it either - it's bonkers. Still do it though. 7 electrics, all pretty much the same, that I can't really justify. I love them all though, and I dare say there'll be more at some point.  I do think about lessons, as I'm sure it would help me, but I think I may need just one more guitar before I take the plunge... 

....off the nearest Cliff
    Fixed that for you
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11843
    tFB Trader
    The nearest Cliff? 

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• robertyroberty Frets: 10930
    I'd rather spend my money on pedals than guitars.  Less space, cheaper (99% of the time), easier to sell, and more fun to look at.  
    Easier to build as well
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18300
    tFB Trader
    It's just a round about way of saying don't expect buying new stuff is going to make you sound any better once you've got some decent gear.

Gear collecting is a hobby in itself and there is nothing wrong with that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 13888
    The nearest Cliff? 

I think this just escaped from the 'Ageing, kinder to some people than others' thread.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Offset said:
    The nearest Cliff? 

I think this just escaped from the 'Ageing, kinder to some people than others' thread.
    Come on he's doing pretty well for 301 ... 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1551
    Someone made a comment over on the Gear Page the other week along the lines of "when there is no musical end goal, GAS moves in...". 

I think there's a fair bit of truth to that...
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30114
    Offset said:

I was going to say that June Brown has aged pretty well. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    tFB Trader
    CaseOfAce said:
    Someone made a comment over on the Gear Page the other week along the lines of "when there is no musical end goal, GAS moves in...". 

I think there's a fair bit of truth to that...
    I think there is also a bit of the 'he who pops their clogs with the most guitars wins'  ;)

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 13674
    susbemol said:
    It is very unlikely that one person can decide what is best for everyone.
    Some people round here will certainly try though...
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    tFB Trader
    susbemol said:
    It is very unlikely that one person can decide what is best for everyone. 
    Try telling any politician that ... 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 13888
    Sporky said:
    Offset said:

I was put more in mind of this.

Before Darkest Hour there was Dracula remembering Gary Oldmans last  Oscar-winning transformation
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30114
    I can't place that one. It reminds me of Battle Beyond The Stars (what a film!) but isn't. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • nacnudnainacnudnai Frets: 278
    Offset said:
    Sporky said:
    Offset said:

Before Darkest Hour there was Dracula remembering Gary Oldmans last  Oscar-winning transformation
    It's as if Emperor Palatine had a makeover on Queer Eye for the Straight Guy
  • SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1654
    nacnudnai said:
    Offset said:
    Sporky said:
    Offset said:

It's as if Emperor Palatine had a makeover on Queer Eye for the Straight Guy

Gary Oldman playing Dracula ?