SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB Gibson ES-125 3/4 SORTED

What's Hot
toescantalktoescantalk Frets: 173
edited September 2023 in Guitars £
Bit of a longshot, but thought I’d ask. Just had a purchase go a bit wrong due to supplier shipping errors (I got a trem arm instead!). Not out of pocket as refund coming, but sadly no little old Gibson either.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Literally just bought one this evening, if I don't like it, I'll hit you up!
  • Lucky you! 
  • Think I’m liking the full size. Plus these seem more about. Thought I’d check here though.
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 5020
    I seem to recall @DB1 was selling one of these a few months ago?  

(Apologies to both if not!)

• DB1DB1 Frets: 5031
    Thanks for the thought! No, that went about 9 months ago. If you're thinking of the full size one, but don't fancy the depth of it, an ES-125T (thinline) might be an answer.
    Call me Dave.
  • I think the girth might give it a more acoustic, woody sound from just watching a few youtubes. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5031
    edited September 2023
    Yes, I'd say that's right. Mike at ATB Guitars has a couple for sale at the moment.  Like most things, they've had a good price hike in the last few years. They were about £1400-£1500 about five years ago, but if you want a 1950's Gibson archtop with a P-90, they still represent decent value (comparatively) for what is a lovely characterful guitar.

Call me Dave.
  • Thanks.
  • And another Wow. The Macaris one is lovely and priced accordingly! Maybe need to find a cheaper option but nothing looks that good.
  • For what it's worth I tried the one in the Gumtree link (full-size ES-125). It's in decent condition but being a 1961 the neck is slim front to back which doesn't suit me. The 50's ones are much fuller necked, so it's always worth trying before you buy. I happen to have a 1952 ES-140 (3/4 size) on loan at the moment from a friend and it has the sweetest sounding P90 I've ever heard, however the neck really doesn't work for me with the skinny vintage frets and 1 9/16 nut width, it makes my left hand cramp up. All so subjective though.
  • Thanks. Does the ES-140 have a nice playing on the sofa unplugged sound / feel too? Think you’re right that I may need to go out to try, especially at the price. Being in the Highlands makes that more of a challenge, but no rush!
  • I really would recommend taking a look at the Archtop Tribute Custom line coming out of Westville/Walkin’ in Japan 

By far the best ‘vintage’ ES replicas (including Gibson) - but with modern build standards and features-  I’ve come across 

they do an ES140 model, I believe 

Formerly known as EvansDrD
  • Thank you. Totally unaware of these. They definitely have the looks.
  • Pm’d