Laney GH50-100L ??

DarrenDarren Frets: 169
Guys, Anyone have any experience with the GH50L or GH100L from Laney? Tones, any reliability issues? I came across some clips earlier this evening on YouTube and it seemed pretty good from what I was hearing on certain clips.. Prices seem very good also on the used market.. Darren
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2462
    No problems with mine, but then I'm not really taxing it with home use either. I think it's more or less a hot-rodded jcm800. it's single channel with a boost rather than two channels, so setting it up for clean and dirty together is a bit of a pain. other than that, it's pretty nice.
  • DarrenDarren Frets: 169
    edited October 2014
    Dave_Mc said:
    No problems with mine, but then I'm not really taxing it with home use either. I think it's more or less a hot-rodded jcm800. it's single channel with a boost rather than two channels, so setting it up for clean and dirty together is a bit of a pain. other than that, it's pretty nice.

Sounds right up my street.. Single channel with a switchable boost would be perfect.. I have a multi switching amp with my modded JVM but have been looking for a simpler amp also. Thanks Dave, Darren
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I toured a gh50 for two years without problems. I don't think it sounds Marshally though, it's does have that marshall upper mid thing going on, it's closer in voicing to the modern orange amps.
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7560
    edited October 2014
    They sound huge, even at lower volume. I might go as far as saying u prefer them to jcm800 amps - they are tight, but have more thickness and less of that cutting mid range, it can cut when it needs to but it has a more satisfying overall thick, modern sound.

Lol @timmysoft beat me to it.
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3168
    Never owned a GH but I did own a VH100 and current have a VC50. Pretty much the same tones as the GH amps. Very punchy, loud, well built and awesome.

• ab2014ab2014 Frets: 89
    edited October 2014
    Owned my gh100l since almost when they came out mid 90's. Can be quite bright. Watch out for cabinet/speaker choice I don't like v30's with it too spiky. Loads of gain watch out or it'll get fizzy. Kind of Marshall/Hiwatt hybrid. Worse aspect is the volume jump when you engage drive if you set amp for semi clean. Reliable. New ones sound different since production changed to overseas. Mine has the plastic corners. The metal corner ones early 2000s I tried sounded inferior. If you set it up for crunch and then engage drive for leads it sounds great.
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2572

I use a TT50 head, which is like a cross between a VH and a Marshall JVM insomuch that it has three channels, two master volumes, MIDI switching, separate reverb for each channel etc.

A little more classic rock sounding than the GH or VH, but suffice to say its an absolute monster with that feature set.  Very well built, sounds awesome, reliable and looks great too...

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j437/stefbillington/D8350941-29C0-4308-BF06-CFDEBF96B5DE_zpsdamnumyt.jpg

edited October 2014
    ^ Is that the black pearl 4x10 cab?

timmysoft said:
    I toured a gh50 for two years without problems. I don't think it sounds Marshally though, it's does have that marshall upper mid thing going on, it's closer in voicing to the modern orange amps.
    It sounds fairly marshally to me but in my defence I'm an idiot :))
    ab2014 said:
    Loads of gain watch out or it'll get fizzy.
    That's actually reminded me of something else (since darren asked about any flaws)- it can get quite noisy with the gain up with the boost engaged. I set the gain and drive knobs to 5 and then use a boost, seems to help a little with the noise.

And yeah the volume difference between the boost engaged or not is a bit annoying. As I said, I have the gain on mine set to 5 (so pretty crunchy even when disengaged), and there's still a volume jump. To be fair, that tends to happen on most amps with a boost rather than separate channels.

• StefBStefB Frets: 2572
    Dave_Mc said:

It is.  I only took delivery of it this week, and it sounds stunning.  Matches the Laney perfectly and has a hell of a bottom end thump.

Nearly fell off my seat when I Googled the Eminence Red Fang speakers it contains - £170 EACH to buy new in the UK!

• DarrenDarren Frets: 169

Thank you for all the info and replies guys!!

I'll see if i can find a stockist that holds a few of the different heads and give them a try.

StefB said:
    Dave_Mc said:

It is.  I only took delivery of it this week, and it sounds stunning.  Matches the Laney perfectly and has a hell of a bottom end thump.

Nearly fell off my seat when I Googled the Eminence Red Fang speakers it contains - £170 EACH to buy new in the UK!

Yeah :)) I got the black pearl 2x12 combo back when GAK was blowing out the Genz Benz guitar amps. I only paid slightly more than two red fangs cost at UK retail prices :))

Haven't got as far as trying them with the Laney yet, the speaker cable isn't long enough. I could get a speaker extension cable... but I haven't got round to that either. :))