HX Stomp vs XL

What's Hot
guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4307
edited October 2023 in Digital & Modelling
Right, I think I'm coming back for round 4 with Helix hardware, though this time in the stomp/XL format.

My plan is to use it in two primary ways, but relatively simple use-cases for each:
  1. Dedicated signal path for piezo pickups, running an acoustic IR into one output and separate amp. Minimal fx required on this one.
  2. Supplementary path to integrate into my pedalboard and take over all tuner, time, and modulation fx. There'll also be occasional fx that I wouldn't bother buying separately for  when I'm feeling experimental (e.g. ring mod), but generally nothing that should need much more than ~3 controls at any one time.
  3. A/B/Y between both paths.

Firstly, without delving into manuals and the BenVesco DSP charts etc to plan out patches, does this sound possible within the DSP constraints of each?

Secondly, what would I be 'missing out' on from the XL versus some extra buttons that I generally probably don't need? Is there any practical benefit in having one over the other? I've got plenty of room for either on my board, and power consumption shouldn't be an issue either.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• NickBNickB Frets: 282
    I have a Stomp that I use with the Jet Pedals Micro for extra flexibility than the XL for your second scenario. 
    With regards to Scenario 1 you can't have two full separate paths but you could split the signal and run into 2 separate outputs panned left and right. This all depends on how DSP hungry your acoustic IR and amp models are.. 
    I hope this helps

• JMS96JMS96 Frets: 143
    Re 2 this is what I do. The tuner/tap tempo takes up one footswitch so you’re left with two on the Stomp. Still cheaper/smaller to get 2 button f/s than to upgrade to XL if you need more than 2 (but fewer than 4) switches.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JotaJota Frets: 465
    NickB said:
    I have a Stomp that I use with the Jet Pedals Micro for extra flexibility than the XL for your second scenario. 
    With regards to Scenario 1 you can't have two full separate paths but you could split the signal and run into 2 separate outputs panned left and right. This all depends on how DSP hungry your acoustic IR and amp models are.. 
    I hope this helps

The only way I see to make the two independent paths work is by spliting the signal right in the begining and inserting a FX Loop Return block on Path B. This way, Main input for regular pickups would be Path A and the FX Loop Return input would be for piezo.
    He would not be able to use his regular pedals with oher pedals before the Stomp but I think that's not what he wants.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • @Jota good catch, this is pretty close to what I’d planned - thanks!
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9770
    Ive owned several Stomps, and the smaller one is ideal on a y pedalboard…

However, i really do like the XL which ive settled on. Th extra swicthes bring out the best from the Stomp, and imdeed opens up the whole unit.

Improves the looper incredibly too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JotaJota Frets: 465
    As for the regular vs XL, the only thing I miss on my regular Stomp is the 4th Snapshot. I would like to have it assignable to FS4/FS5.
    Other than that, I don't think I'm missing much and I can still have a couple more pedals and keep my pedalboard small enough to fit my electrician case with all my cables.

• Ive owned several Stomps, and the smaller one is ideal on a y pedalboard…

However, i really do like the XL which ive settled on. Th extra swicthes bring out the best from the Stomp, and imdeed opens up the whole unit.

Improves the looper incredibly too.
    Interesting point, I’d like to use the looper too - and did use the 6-btn version on my HX Fat models a fair bit, though I can get by happily with the 1-btn version. 

Hmm indeed…