Iggy Pop Lecture on BBC 4 Sunday 19th.

Caught this last night .
Guess it is on iplayer now. Very interesting.
Didn't know much about him , or like his music much but watched out of interest.

With my daughter ( as regular foromites may know) just starting out thought it would be interesting to hear the old sage advice.

It follows his career of being an idealistic young man who was in it all for the "Art" and geting ripped off by the "suits", to being older and wiser and trying to make a living now. His warning that the suits no longer have as much power , but that it has shifted to the public , but that the public are now ripping off musicians by stealing music.

I found his comments about how Major execs may be really looking to promote their own careers as the expense of both the artist and their current employer. However, he recognised what he called "patrons" who do still develop music for the sake of the music , and do give new artists some protection.

I found this interesting as that is exactly what has happened to my daughter. She has a patron who is a fairly big name producer and has been protecting her. Yes if she does well so does he, but he has a very good track record with a number of Grammies to his name.

If you can catch this programme it is worth the hour of your life........

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11683
    I also saw it.

Having seen it, I think a bit more Q&A would have been good, simply because it's Iggy.

Oh, and for such an august audience - he should have done his shirt up!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom