2»

Comments

• HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16281
    edited October 2014

tae be or not tae be
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31584
    edited October 2014
    The situation is not assisted by chiltern who are not telling anyone anything. Nor are trains stopping. I met the driver who is so shaken. I really feel for him. Horrible thing to have parked on you

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

Not necessarily a suicide attempt. I know of a situation where a school girl and fallen onto the line (by accident) in front of a train. I've also been made aware of people being pushed in front of trains. The police won't be 'pedantically insisting they're scraped off the train' but more likely treating it as a crime scene until it can proven it was an attempt at suicide under his/her free will.

I think he jumped from a station not used much. I'm quite nr front of train and there wasn't anyone else on platform. But then the police don't know that I guess

• Gassage said:
    Not necessarily a suicide attempt. I know of a situation where a school girl and fallen onto the line (by accident) in front of a train. I've also been made aware of people being pushed in front of trains. The police won't be 'pedantically insisting they're scraped off the train' but more likely treating it as a crime scene until it can proven it was an attempt at suicide under his/her free will.

I think he jumped from a station not used much. I'm quite nr front of train and there wasn't anyone else on platform. But then the police don't know that I guess
    Yeah, until they can conclusively say it is definitely a suicide attempt, they treat them as suspicious which makes the train a crime scene and the passengers witnesses. Depending on the circumstances, of course, there can be more than just a slight delay to your day!

The people who are having to deal with the incident will probably be also be having a pretty bad day as well now. And a lot of them do it whilst being underpaid an overworked!
    No one is dealing with anything at all

• ROOGROOG Frets: 567
    edited October 2014

Thing about express trains is they are fairly consistent in their effectiveness, they run to a time table and access is easy.

Not sure I'd want to jump off a building or use a plane even if it was practical, too much time to contemplate your fate,

Vehicles not reliable,

Most commonly available drugs slow and unreliable.

Guns, well who has one?

Trains seem to be the weapon of choice.

Very sad indeed for everyone involved.   

:(

What about overdosing on party drugs? Win/win - if it doesn't work you have fun, if it does, you're sorted.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    How about getting the help you so clearly need if you feel that way? Thats a choice too y'know.
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Hertz32 said:
    How about getting the help you so clearly need if you feel that way? Thats a choice too y'know.
    Not if your thinking is that messed up. Getting help may not occur to you, or you'll dismiss the idea because you don't think it'll work. 
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    I agree in principle- however generally, the help available is useless and far too 'do-goody'', and meaningful help costs too much as if anyone is any good in this space then they can charge heaps.

• randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited October 2014
    Hertz32 said:
    Is it?  Is it that simple?  That's reasoned.  If you are doing a run for Mind then in might be worth reading about why they do outreach work and subsidise drop in centres for the mentally ill.  Very few bouts of mental illness are spotted by or admitted by the sufferer.  Those who usually cry out for help are rarely those who actually need it and vice versa. 
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    To be entirely fair, i've tried to kill myself a couple times before. So yeah, I get the not wanting help thing. Also had a shitty day and dont have the energy or desire to really be intelligent or respond in a meaningful or thought out way right now. Gonna head to bed early and make up for 2 hours of sleep last night hopefully.
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7752
    edited October 2014
    Gassage said:
    So I'm sitting on the Chiltern Chugger, just around High Wycombe. the train is now 45 mins late because of the selfish gesture of someone hurling himself in front it. Quite what he was hoping to achieve [1], other than endorsing various theories of Einstein [2] I am not sure. Most frustrating, as seemingly it's not a good look to have a dead body splattered all over the front of the train, the Police, rather pedantically, are insisting it is scraped off before we continue with our 'onward journey'. Very frustrating. My words may sound harsh [3] but I have no tolerance for suicide attempts as I consider them hugely selfish [4]. If they want to do the "look at me thing" buy a Murphy aged AAAAA Les Paul and post it on here, as I would if I needed to cry for help. [5]
    [1] I assume he was hoping to kill himself, and it seems as though he achieved it. Sometimes that's all you feel is open to you, and no amount of petty, small-minded whining about it will change that.

[2] A little callous surely?

[3] Well you've got one thing right so far... :D

[4] Not really as selfish as complaining publicly that the death of another human being has delayed your train a bit.

[5] I'd suggest that "look at me" was unlikely to be one of the things on his mind. And is it really a cry for help if he's not able to accept any help that may be offered by virtue of the fact that he's now dead?

I'm hoping at least some of this is meant in jest. If not... the mind boggles.

Anyway, I was heading back to Amersham from London at about 5 and wondered why there were several Chiltern trains stopped. Terrible shame, it's awful that someone's mindset can come to that being the only option.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11669
    I like the excuses that London Underground give when the Northern Line goes tits-up.

I like the one that goes "there is a good service on the Northen Line" when there's no train for 20 minutes.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 25492
    VimFuego said:

I always think it's the height of self obsession.

Not suicide, but complaining about it cos it's made you a little bit late.

+1

'Not understanding' a suicide attempt, successful or not, is hardly qualification to decree the person selfish or any other denigratory term.  If you don't understand, you don't understand.

Bitching about someone's suicide interfering with your day is about as selfish as it gets.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Suicide is the most selfish act anybody can do, but when you're in that state of mind it doesn't occur to you. I've not tried to ill myself, but self harm is similarly selfish. Depression is selfish, but it's involuntary.

More important though, is/was it a set of Mk3 coaches/DVT hauled by a class 67 loco, or a boring DMU?
    My V key is broken
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2014
    Of course it was in jest. I'm rarely serious and humour i(attempted or otherwise) is always my coping, however, again, I do utterly feel for the driver who was so shaken yesterday and needed serious help for shock- I'd never actually seen that before and I felt for him. Apparently there's a lot of counselling available to him. Add- if peeps offended, not my intention, truly, so apols. It was a stressful thing- I was right at front of train and I heard the thump.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28678
    edited October 2014
    Am I the only one reading this who can't help thinking it's more relevant to Newton than Einstein?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28678
    But seriously, mental illness is horrible. I've had a fair chunk of depression over the last decade, and it's proper shit.

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    edited October 2014
    Me too. Truly- I was in the most abusive relationship imaginable, with highlights of assault including breaking my arm in 4 places. One thing I learned was there is little meaningful support and the only way to be strong is to do it yourself. Yeah, you toy with suicide, think about it, but never seriously. The line is the people who consider it seriously I guess. I don't think i ever did. A turning point for me after 6 months of depression was the Lions tour in 2013 and getting a gig to work alongside the tour and also completing my Level 4 coaching qualification. Suddenly I started achieving again and once you do that, measure it and celebrate it, you start to believe your worth again. Some people can't get out of that trap though. You can of course boost esteem by gassing but it's a very transient thing...