SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Ibanez RG350DX Gotoh 1996T withdrawn

jdbwalesjdbwales Frets: 320
edited December 2023 in Guitars £
Fantastic shred guitar, ridiculously quick neck and very easy to play. This was something of a rescue effort from a previous owner, they’d painted it red and chiselled out (badly) the route to install the Gotoh Floyd Rose. 

I stripped the paint, resprayed white, sprayed some clear so it’s got a bit of protection, and gave it a setup. The finish is not factory level but it’s sturdy and plays and sounds wonderful.

The bad stuff: the headstock was clearly pretty buggered under the paint, I’ve managed to restore it somewhat but it looks weathered; this and the route for the Gotoh (which I’ve tidied up) are what makes this so cheap; otherwise it’s a brilliant rock and metal guitar.

Good stuff: the Gotoh is excellent. Great tuning stability, easy action and very responsive. These are £150 new so basically you’re getting the guitar for very little. I’ve also changed out the bridge pickup for a Fleor ceramic and it brought the guitar to life; middle and neck pickups are stock. This guitar sounds massive, effortless pinch harmonics and all the brilliantly silly Van Halen stuff is in here. It also plays very, very well and has the fastest and most effortless neck I’ve ever played. Bends are easy up and down the fretboard. Previous owner also scalloped the top few frets, did a decent job - I like the feel and all notes ring true.

I’d much rather collection from Caerphilly, but can post if needed, and would swap for the basic Blackstar Amped 1 or an EVH Wolfgang but otherwise would rather cash. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15271
    jdbwales said:
    I’ve also changed out the bridge pickup for a Fleor ceramic and it brought the guitar to life; middle and neck pickups are stock.
    Out of interest, what are the stock pickups? INF, Quantum, something else?

I recently received an RG370AHMZ in an exchange. I'm close to dialling in its Quantum HSH pickups. Then, I play my DiMarzio-equipped Charvel Model 3 and it makes the RG sound thin.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jdbwalesjdbwales Frets: 320
    jdbwales said:
    I’ve also changed out the bridge pickup for a Fleor ceramic and it brought the guitar to life; middle and neck pickups are stock.
    Out of interest, what are the stock pickups? INF, Quantum, something else?

I recently received an RG370AHMZ in an exchange. I'm close to dialling in its Quantum HSH pickups. Then, I play my DiMarzio-equipped Charvel Model 3 and it makes the RG sound thin.
    Hey FF - the stocks were INF4&2, they sound quite good in isolation but much like your experience, play it next to any other guitar and it’s lacking. Since I’ve decided to keep it I’ve gone for Fleor Alnico V covered buckers in bridge and neck, and have an Iton Gear Hot Slag on the way for the bridge position. I’ve found every single pickup I’ve tried (including a set of Duncan Designed HB103s) has been streets ahead of the stock pickups in terms of clarity, thickness and punch. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom