I've just invented something.

What's Hot
Inspired by the photo at the bottom of this article - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-29700674

My idea is to equip cars with buoyancy aids which are triggered when a car ends up in a body of water. Obviously needs to cope with small floods and fords (yeah, and other makes!).

That's it. Can anyone do the maths and work out how big the aids would need to be to hold the car high enough in the water? I guess you'd not want the water level to go above the bottom of the steering wheel or thereabouts.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Yes, but I really can't be arsed.

You know the helicopter in Jaws, with the floats? The buoyancy aids would need to be around that size, and totally impractical on the car.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• My mate (and colleague) has a Voltswagon Golf Plus. One of the features is if the car is in a body of water, all the windows and sunroof open to allow you to escape and save you being trapped in the car when the car is completely submerged.

However, in snow. It used to get completely confused. Only a week or so after buying it, it opened all windows and sunroof in the middle of what can only be described as a blizzard. As you can imagine, he wasn't happy when he went out to his car in the morning (it did it in the middle of the night)  to find his interior was coated in 2 inches of fresh snow.

It also opened all windows and sunroof during a few bouts of heavy rain.

Amusing for us when we used to get all staff e mails at work saying 'The owner of the Golf Plus has left his windows open and it's raining.'
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_l said:

You know the helicopter in Jaws, with the floats? The buoyancy aids would need to be around that size, and totally impractical on the car.

My idea is that they would inflate when required. Perhaps all these crossover vehicles with the higher body could have flotation devices underneath too.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6266
    My nephew thinks my car can fly. Can I be on the development team?
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17855
    tFB Trader
    Unfortunately you know can't patent it because you've just disclosed it. 

I expect it would be considered obvious anyway.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15769
    would it not just be cheaper to make all cars open tops but force people to wear life jackets (not that I've just bought shares in a life jacket company or anything)?

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8083
    I have an idea, inspired by Phil X and this video:

Marlin
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2483
    mike_l said:

My idea is that they would inflate when required. Perhaps all these crossover vehicles with the higher body could have flotation devices underneath too.
    You've obviously never put arm bands on your ankles, have you?
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    This is a job for EmpFab.

FX_Munkee said:
    You've obviously never put arm bands on your ankles, have you?
    Yes, the lifeguard had to pull me out as I was face down in the deepend....

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

It'll get done around the year 2035.

he needs his sleep, and doesn't want to disturb Pugsley.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553

I think you have invented this  --

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've not actually dreamed it, but my "nightmare" is being trapped in a sinking car and because it's underwater the electrics don't work so you can't unlock any of the doors or open the windows.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72945
    I keep one of those red plastic-handled glass hammers you see in the emergency boxes on trains in the drawer under the driver's seat. It sounds paranoid, but you really don't want to be in a sinking or burning car and be trying to kick the windows out when every second counts.

I can't remember how I acquired it, but I didn't steal it from a train, honest!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

@ICBM those window breking devices are pretty easily available.....

Not like the airport fireaxe I have known to be carried.  

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15769
    s'why I keep a phased plasma rifle in a 40 watt range under the seat.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    I have invented a device (for the USA market) which sits under a new guitar while it is in the case. The device prevents Buckle-Rash.

OK - It is just a piece of card on which I have written "Lose the Belt Dumb-Ass" but I think it has potential.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    ICBM said:
    I keep one of those red plastic-handled glass hammers you see in the emergency boxes on trains in the drawer under the driver's seat. It sounds paranoid, but you really don't want to be in a sinking or burning car and be trying to kick the windows out when every second counts.

I can't remember how I acquired it, but I didn't steal it from a train, honest!
    Crowbar or extendable baton for me; technically the latter's an offensive weapon so if old Bill REALLY wanted to do you for a traffic offense they could, but if a crowbar's part of a 'tool kit' it's fine.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    mike_l said:

It'll get done around the year 2035.

he needs his sleep, and doesn't want to disturb Pugsley.

Well, when I say 'job', I obviously didn't meant it literally.

You mean "job" as in "something to be done when he gets off his arse and finally does it"