Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Are you a non, ex or current smoker?

What's Hot
GassageGassage Frets: 31085
As I really need to stop smoking, are you a current, non or ex smoker? If ex, how did you quit? Do you vape? Do you wanna give up or do you enjoy burning the bottom e string as you play? Discuss

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Ex. Although I confess to the occasional, ahem, social smoke.
    I started work in a place where to smoke I had to walk half a mile to shelter from the elements in a doorway next to a boilerhouse, so decided that it was time to knock the fags on the head!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2381
    Ex smoker. I tried just quitting, but that just made me very angry. In the end I bought 'Easy way to give up smoking' by Allen Carr, I felt instantly relieved after reading it, I haven't smoked any since! 

That was well over 10 years ago, I was previously on 20+ a day :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    Giving up smoking is easy, I've lost count of the number of times I've successfully given up smoking.

A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm a smoker...but I've just bought a VapourLites stick and I'm slowly phasing it in. Oddly, the e-cig is making me cough more than normal cigs...
    <space for hire>
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31085
    I'm a smoker...but I've just bought a VapourLites stick and I'm slowly phasing it in. Oddly, the e-cig is making me cough more than normal cigs...
    It did me too

• dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    My mate has just given up and has found himself wracked by a flu-like ailment involving loads of mucus!
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31085
    NB- this question applies to tobacco, not weed. As musos we should all smoke weed, that's de riguer

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    it might be the e-cigs aren't flattening out the cilia in your throat like a good tar filled tab should.. so your throat is reacting to contaminants a bit more like it should ;)
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Ex. I quit right after I got Crohn's and the consultant said "if you don't stop smoking you'll never get any better" (or similar, it was 12 years ago).

He did also say "the beer can stay, the one-night stands can stay*, but the smokes have to go".

*There was a very, very nice young girl nurse in the room at the time (aside I know her quite well too....)

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    I smoke, I don't trust the vapor things. I know smoking is deadly but at the moment I think it's better the devil you know rather than e-cigs. I have a "vape" shop next to our business and they seem to be doing well, but the thing that strikes me is all the staff have one in their mouth constantly, way more often than you'd smoke a cigarette.
  • I quit 448 days ago (and counting!!). Was a 20 a day man, and haven't had so much as a drag since. (more's the pity)

I quit with Champix. It does work.

Cautionary notes:

1. It makes you go a bit mental.

2. you may or may not suffer stomach rott.

3. whilst I haven't smoked, not a day has passed where I haven't thought about it / wanted to.

BUT! It does make you stop smoking.

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15768
    ex smoker, stopped in 2001. Seem to recall using nicotine replacement tablets. The nicotine habit wasn't that hard to break, it was the action of smoking that I missed, like after a meal or that feeling of the 1st smoke of the day. Took me years to get over that.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• PVO_Dave said:
    Ex smoker. I tried just quitting, but that just made me very angry. In the end I bought 'Easy way to give up smoking' by Allen Carr, I felt instantly relieved after reading it, I haven't smoked any since! 

That was well over 10 years ago, I was previously on 20+ a day :)
    I tried this book before champix. Lasted 17 hours, then tried to rip my drummers head off. Ended up using the cover of said book to fashion a roach for a DIY Cigarette made from Pot Pourri and broken dreams.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I gave up about 3 or 4 years ago. I just gave up, went on holiday, used the change of scenery and just quit.
    My misses used the Alan Carr book and it worked great for her.
    and for most people giving up makes you eat more. 

I wil add that I now suffer much more from chesty coughs and sore throats though. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    I quit in 2001, I only smoked 10 a day which was £40 a month spend. So I bought a Marshall JCM2000 tsl60 & 4x12 on interest free credit at £40 a month. You'd be surprised how much that incentivised me. That my cig money had been spent elsewhere.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15768
    one word of warning, it was when I quit smoking that I first started liking folk music.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Non-smoker.

Stop or don't, please yourself...but please stay out of the frigging doorways of venues when smoking. Your fag will still work if you leave enough room for the band to load in/ out, honest.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    VimFuego said:
    one word of warning, it was when I quit smoking that I first started liking folk music.

Quick give him a cigarette.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    VimFuego said:
    ex smoker, stopped in 2001. Seem to recall using nicotine replacement tablets. The nicotine habit wasn't that hard to break, it was the action of smoking that I missed, like after a meal or that feeling of the 1st smoke of the day. Took me years to get over that.

Definitely. I always used to spark up the first one right after I'd gone and got a paper, and was on my way to work. That was the hardest part, going past that roundabout and not getting a tab out.

• LoobsLoobs Frets: 3852
    Smoke roll ups, about 4-5 a day, give or take. A 40g pack here will last me about 2 weeks. That pack costs 4 euros.