Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Public safety adverts

What's Hot

Comments

• randellarandella Frets: 4713
    I think it's because the current government sincerely believes that asinine three word slogans do the equivalent work, at a fraction of the cost.  "Hands, Face, Space" "See it, Say it, Sorted" "Stop the Boats" "Get brexit done" “Stay Home. Save Lives. Protect the NHS”. "Fuck off tories" etc. etc.
    One of the few bits of humour in lockdown was someone realising that STAY ALERT; CONTROL THE VIRUS; SAVE LIVES is an anagram of EASILY SURVIVES TRAVEL NORTH TO CASTLE.

I don't know if it'll help with kids locked in fridges tho
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7398
    edited December 2023
    sev112 said:
    Stop look listen 

look left, look right, then left again

at least one of those was Darth Vader, and the other probably the aforementioned squirrel
    I ran a squirrel over once, so they don’t heed their own advice!!!

(well actually it was twice as my wife made me reverse back over it as she wanted to check it wasn’t left in pain)
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20518
    edited December 2023
    mrkb said:
    sev112 said:
    Stop look listen 

at least one of those was Darth Vader, and the other probably the aforementioned squirrel
    I ran a squirrel over once, so they don’t heed their own advice!!!

(well actually it was twice as my wife made me reverse back over it as she wanted to check it wasn’t left in pain)
    Wasn't that cited as the cause of the massive motorway multiple pileup?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32371
    I never learned to swim, therefore I don't fuck around in rivers or freezing seas. 

I have no idea how I'm going to die, except that it won't be by drowning.

Teaching kids to swim is way more dangerous than not teaching kids to swim. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    p90fool said:
    I never learned to swim, therefore I don't fuck around in rivers or freezing seas. 

If I had never learned to swim, then I would never have been able to snorkel in the Greek islands & get to interact with octopus/octopi. Or to see the beauty under the surface off the far west coast of Scotland (despite being fucking freezing!).
    Brilliant & humbling, so no regrets  ;)
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24996
    What @BillDL said in his first post.  Nobody watches adverts any more, so there's no audience for public information films and no point spending money making them.

I enjoyed them as entertainment.  Is it bad to say that?

• Think once, think twice, think bike traumatised me as a kid.
    Imagine this is a car  & this is your bike . Awesome  
  • The last ones were the anti DVD piracy ones in the 2000s. The Central Office of Information was closed in 2011 which was the end of anyone having an central role for these things, I guess government depts commission them themselves now (I guess we had Covid ones although I'm struggling to remember one). 
    https://youtu.be/qPEeaxI0OPU?si=CTnUlYI6Q4Zt2hSn
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_Q said:
    What @BillDL said in his first post.  Nobody watches adverts any more, so there's no audience for public information films and no point spending money making them.

I enjoyed them as entertainment.  Is it bad to say that?

As I stated in another thread , The spirit of dark & lonely waters  was the one I enjoyed being scared by . I was a none swimmer in the 70s & 80s ,still am but I managed to avoid this unsavoury spirit .
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 5059
    TTony said:
    Nitefly said:
    I remember one about a lass driving a  car with automatic transmission into a police car, because she got her legs crossed or something.

I thought "keep your legs crossed" was the strapline of another safety film - aimed at those young lasses 

;)
    Oh yeah - 60's birth control  :)

• Some good military ones I think this might be US Navy aIr Force , it’s all fun & games til 5:04 
      Then things get nasty . In the words of Nick Ross “Don’t have nightmares 

https://youtu.be/rUKcHe0-m_I?si=jwRQrA1p2ZbH48g8
  • Fix things properly 

Kettle on a boat

Keep out 

Old fridges

This covers most bases ... ALERT ... last one is the Rolf Harris one

Ignore the obvious pervo ones
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1164
    edited December 2023
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2776
    Women. Known Your Limits.

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5685
    p90fool said:

Didn't you work the cruise ships once?

I learnt to swim, but also don't fuck around in rivers or freezing seas because I'm not a bleeding idiot. Part of having a skill is knowing when to use it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    stufisher said:
    Fix things properly 

This was one of the reasons that we now use Class 2 double insulated drills, kids  ;)
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 1133
    edited December 2023
    Charlie says, "MEEEOWWW....!"

Little bit of bass, little bit of bounce. 
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2978
    sev112 said:
    Stop look listen 

Obviously it didn’t sink in, because it should have been “Right, left and right again” !
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 25485
    That guy with the drill always looked like his face was made of plastic to me.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 25485
    The thing is, the demise of the public information films came about way before the invention of the internet and other media forms.  I remember the first part was moving them to the middle of the night, like a child would be awake at 3am and getting drowned in a pond was his biggest problem !  I think there was some kind of government stipulation that TV channels had to broadcast so many safety ads or something, but of course that interfered with valuable prime advertising time so they fudged it by moving them to the middle of the night as at the time of the stipulation being drafted, TV didn't run 24h, so ITV & BBC could get away with putting them on at stupid o'clock.

Then they vanished completely - much to the detriment of the public in my opinion.  I am guessing about the stipulation thing, I could be talking out of my arse, but it would fit with the way they disappeared.

The number of drivers I see these days on main beam, with no intention of dipping, is disgraceful.  If only they'd seen a public information film called "Dip....  Don't Dazzle - you selfish cunt."
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."