Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Public safety adverts

What's Hot

Comments

• BillDLBillDL Frets: 8958

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20518
    Emp_Fab said:
    The thing is, the demise of the public information films came about way before the invention of the internet and other media forms.  I remember the first part was moving them to the middle of the night, like a child would be awake at 3am and getting drowned in a pond was his biggest problem !  I think there was some kind of government stipulation that TV channels had to broadcast so many safety ads or something, but of course that interfered with valuable prime advertising time so they fudged it by moving them to the middle of the night as at the time of the stipulation being drafted, TV didn't run 24h, so ITV & BBC could get away with putting them on at stupid o'clock.

Then they vanished completely - much to the detriment of the public in my opinion.  I am guessing about the stipulation thing, I could be talking out of my arse, but it would fit with the way they disappeared.

The number of drivers I see these days on main beam, with no intention of dipping, is disgraceful.  If only they'd seen a public information film called "Dip....  Don't Dazzle - you selfish cunt."
    I'd agree, but frequently they aren't actually on main beam, they are just factory fitted HiD or LED high output headlights that have naturally 'glarey' characteristics or are badly aligned.
    I hate the bastard things but if I were driving a car with them in the dark, I might have a different opinion.
    My 'pet hate' in a similar vein, is cars with bright dazzling multiple front lights in all weather conditions, that may or may not be fog lights.
    Also, the absolute cunts that have their rear fog lamps turned on when the visibility is good for 100 metres should be slow roasted throughout eternity.
    Yours, Mrs Trellis of Aberystwyth
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3237
    1. There was the two oldies sat on the beach watching people drown in the sea. Call a lifeguard!

2. One about house fires which spooked the 8 year old me.

3. Charley said don't go off with strangers showing you puppies, or something like that.

4. A rabies one which showed a frothy mouthed hospital patient clearly in a pretty anxious state!

But there is a recent one - Shingles!!! 

Yeah, at one time Rabies was obviously regarded as having a realistic potential to become widespread enough to be of general public concern.  My young brother stood and watched them making one of the scenes for a movie about a massive rabies outbreak in the UK.  It was being filmed at a multi-storey car park in adjacent town to ours.  There was a scene where a car had to smash through a red-striped barrier and go tearing off.  He says they had about 7 spare barriers and each time the scene wasn't good enough for the director and there was a "Cut, cut!" call, a technician had to run in and bolt on another barrier for yet another take.
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3237
    Rabies means death!

I find this one far less alarming:

• "I wish I di'n't keep losin' me BIRDS!"

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

• 3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • westwest Frets: 1012
    One of me faves .....

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    The olds might remember the bad parking pif "reginald molehusband "  which is now lost ... theres a recreation but its not great .....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28389
    Simples. The public became safe overnight and they were no longer required. 
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12657
    Don't fly your kite near power lines was one.  And of course Rolf Harris encouraging children to learn how to swim.
    And that wasn't his foot that he stuck out of the water at the end of the ad, it was his "extra leg".
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 1133
    edited December 2023
    axisus said:
    Simples. The public became safe overnight and they were no longer required. 
    I imagine they just weren't worth it for all the good they did.

People are probably a lot more safety conscious now, and H & S at work much better. You do still get them in a lot of workplaces during training. I believe the German forklift massacre one is still used for example. 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32371
    Snags said:
    p90fool said:
    I never learned to swim, therefore I don't fuck around in rivers or freezing seas. 

I have no idea how I'm going to die, except that it won't be by drowning.

Teaching kids to swim is way more dangerous than not teaching kids to swim. 
    Didn't you work the cruise ships once?

Hell no, that's my idea of a living hell!
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 5059
    edited December 2023
    west said:
    The olds might remember the bad parking pif "reginald molehusband "  which is now lost ... theres a recreation but its not great .....
    lol, that's a phrase I still use after a particularly tricky bit of parking! 

• west said:
    loved that ,the name is so memorable 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11668
    I wonder if that came befire or after Round The Horne's Dame Celia Molestrangler. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16605
    "Dumb ways to die "
    The American equivalent......I'm useless at getting links on here but worth a google
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16605
    I'm wrong......it's Aussie

Tom was a boring twat lol  and didnt ride a RD 350 LC .... ;)