Boss GT-1000 Core MIDI issues

I've been using the GT as a midi controller for the Tonex which is set up into the GT's Fx loop. All working perfectly, the up and down commands in my GT would call the respective patch in the Tonex.

A couple of days ago my Boss EV 30 expression pedal started to act weird, either not working at all or randomly sweeping even if not being used. After trying different TRS cables and ins and outs in the GT the problem remained so in order to check if it was a pedal or GT problem, I decided to reset the GT to factory settings to bypass any software bugs.

As it happens, it was in fact the exp which is at fault, after trying it with the Tonex directly (which is what I should have done in the first place).

The problem now is that after re-installing my previous patches (which I had backed up), the midi commands are not working any more. I changed nothing in the Tonex or the GT, the midi programming is still there in each patch but does not reach the Tonex.

I've once more reset and reinstalled the patches in the GT but the problem persists.

Anyone had similar problems?

____
"You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 924
    Never used a GT1000 but the first thing I'd check is midi set to 'Thru' rather than 'Out'.
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 763
    @drwiddly thanks, midi through is on. Still no luck.
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
  • Do you have another MIDI controller so you can prove the problem is the GTk? It might be the Tonex, or a cable might have a fault…. Can you perform a MIDI trace using the GTk and your computer? I’ll have a reread of my GTk doc in case I can find something you might have missed. It might be me with a problem next week!
    I just have the one midi cable which has a
    mini and a 7 pin jack to fit the GT so unfortunately cannot test if it is at fault.

I reset the GT hence why I think it is the problem. Don’t know how I could test the Tonex without other midi controller. 

What’s a Midi trace?
    ____
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4957
    edited December 2023
    fnpt said:
    I just have the one midi cable which has a
    mini and a 7 pin jack to fit the GT so unfortunately cannot test if it is at fault.

I reset the GT hence why I think it is the problem. Don’t know how I could test the Tonex without other midi controller. 

What’s a Midi trace?
    I totally understand why your focus is on the GTk being the problem. You're probably right anyway. But just in case, it can help problem diagnosis to be able to isolate things.

MIDI traces are outputs from computer programs that can see the MIDI being sent by a unit (like the GTk) and show you what the messages actually are. There are several free programs out there that you can run on a computer. I use MIDI Monitor on my Mac.

The connection to the computer is generally a  MIDI-to-USB cable or (if the unit supports it) MIDI-over-USB which uses the standard USB cable. 

I've never tried using the USB connection to the GTk for anything other than the GT1000 Editor. I know it can be an audio interface. Can it also send MIDI-over-USB, I wonder? EDIT: P47 of the GTk Parameters manual sugest it can send MIDI over USB, so a MIDI trace looks possible.

Dumb insulting question time - since your GTk system reset, have you checked that the MIDI channel you're using on the GTk  is the MIDI channel that the Tonex listens to? Did you ever change it from the default? Have you checked the MIDI settings in general since the reset? 

I'll have a further think. Good luck! 

Thanks so much. I’ve kept channel 1 for all midi connections in both. Will have a look at midi tracing. 
    ____
    @TheBigDipper I've installed midi monitor in my mac. It does recognise the midi commands from both the GT and Tonex. The pc# numbers emanated from both units are also correct and are both on channel 1.

Don't know what to think of this.

____
  • fnpt said:
    @TheBigDipper I've installed midi monitor in my mac. It does recognise the midi commands from both the GT and Tonex. The pc# numbers emanated from both units are also correct and are both on channel 1.

Don't know what to think of this.

That's progress. The missing piece is the MIDI cable you have, isn't it? MIDI-via-USB is working, so the only thing unused is the MIDI cable with the TRS at one end, no? 
    Yes, it's Boss' own cable. i don't have another to test. It's practically new, but so was the EV30 that was sent back...
    ____
    Problem apparently solved, reconnected once more the midi cable and now its working. Still not sure what happened but was probably user error. Thanks for all your help.
    ____
  • Good! :-)