Tonex Vs Kemper (My Thoughts)

What's Hot
kennedydream1980kennedydream1980 Frets: 1196
edited December 2023 in Digital & Modelling
I recently purchased another Tonex pedal and had a chance to compare it to my Kemper.

I had purchased the exact same amp pack for both units from a well known 3rd party vendor. The amp captured is a Marshall Superbass 100w head through old Greenback speakers.
They had profiled the same amp on both units with the exact same settings. 

I made sure both units were ran through my mixer at the same volume. All effects were turned off on both units.

Through my studio monitors at home there are obvious differences. The Kemper sounds like it has a tad more low end and has something added in the mids, it sounds a bit more compressed as well. It’s like the Kemper makes the amp sound a bit more palatable and softer, like it’s been mastered in a studio. The Tonex is visceral and raw sounding, like it’s truer to the amp being captured. It sounds more real to me, there is more karrang to the sound in the upper registers and the low end is a bit more farty for want of a better word.

I really like both sounds for different reasons. I had originally planned to move my Kemper on for the Tonex, but playing it side by side and comparing the Kemper directly with the Tonex has left me a bit more undecided. 

I thought this might be useful for some people, especially since Kemper have announced their new Player device, which is a direct competitor to the Tonex pedal.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9960
    Thanks for the info !

Which do you prefer now over time ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks for the info !

Which do you prefer now over time ?
    I moved the Kemper on and still have a Tonex pedal.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 8068

My needs are probably not the same as yours, all I really wanted was to make some valve-ish sounds from my Katana, but I'm really pleased with what I'm getting from the Tonex without having anything other than the pedal and some of the free captures from ToneNet.

People who are after perfect representations might find fault if they want to, but it does everything I needed and more.

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom