Fender 57 custom deluxe - opinions?

What's Hot
daveyhdaveyh Frets: 702
So, please excuse me for the little story first, it just explains things a little.

My dad passed away in November, whilst he was still able he told me that when he got better he wanted to buy me a guitar and amp for looking after him. Sadly that wasn’t to be. He always wanted me to get one of those ‘country guitars’ as he called teles but that was never my thing before so never did (but I will be shopping for a CS blackguard at some point in the future). 

So the idea being that whenever I play these I’ll be thinking of my dad.

I’m not going to skimp here, this is a buy once and keep forever because it means something. I want to get something I know he would have approved of, so whilst I know there are a myriad of fine boutique makers I’m looking at Fender first. My dad loved Buddy Holly, he used to tell me about the first time he heard ‘That’ll be the Day’ on the radio in 1957

Has anyone got any experience of the 57 custom tweed deluxe? I’m up with how it sound but what about construction? The pics I’ve seen look point to point but Fenders own pics are bound to make it look good. 

Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks guys

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• newi123newi123 Frets: 948
    I bought one new a few years ago - nice amp and you obviously know how it sounds.

My comments on my own findings - bit of a one trick pony, albeit a very nice trick. Prob too loud for general home use (volume is almost on / off) but often too quiet to gig. Others my offer different feedback depending on the band setting.

Sounded fab paired with a ptinceton a la Mike Campbell!

Mine did have an issue and went back to fender for a new transformer under warranty, although I think issues are fairly unusual.

Overall, lovely thing to have and own - given the new price now I don't think I'd buy new again. I recently acquired a lazy j20, which does it all a bit more flexibility, and there are other boutique choices that will do the same.

Great reason to be considering one to connect you to your dad BTW! Good luck.

• scovell001scovell001 Frets: 60
    daveyh said:
    So, please excuse me for the little story first, it just explains things a little.

My dad passed away in November, whilst he was still able he told me that when he got better he wanted to buy me a guitar and amp for looking after him. Sadly that wasn’t to be. He always wanted me to get one of those ‘country guitars’ as he called teles but that was never my thing before so never did (but I will be shopping for a CS blackguard at some point in the future). 

I’m not going to skimp here, this is a buy once and keep forever because it means something. I want to get something I know he would have approved of, so whilst I know there are a myriad of fine boutique makers I’m looking at Fender first. My dad loved Buddy Holly, he used to tell me about the first time he heard ‘That’ll be the Day’ on the radio in 1957

Has anyone got any experience of the 57 custom tweed deluxe? I’m up with how it sound but what about construction? The pics I’ve seen look point to point but Fenders own pics are bound to make it look good. 

I played one in Andertons a little while back last year (I’ve also had a lazy j20 previously) - the build on them is ‘good enough’ I’d say, I like that the inputs are labelled vintage correct which you don’t see elsewhere - o not a lot they can mess up in there which is a good thing ! - there’s a funny tube shield thing & they use a fair amount of ‘spade type’ connectors in there - the custom built speaker is very efficient, so the amp is ‘very’ loud - like really loud ! & as you probably know the tweeds need to be wound to get up ! - all the switches & knobs also seemed to be good quality - in terms of tone, as the speaker is such a huge part of the 5e3 sound, I’d say the supplied speaker doesn’t sound vintage correct, but absolutely fine in its own right (sounds like a greenback).

I’m fortunate enough to own a direct vintage clone, with nos, so it’s that age old argument of whether you want the name or do you want the tone.

Have you also looked at Louis electric?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 702
    daveyh said:

I played one in Andertons a little while back last year (I’ve also had a lazy j20 previously) - the build on them is ‘good enough’ I’d say, I like that the inputs are labelled vintage correct which you don’t see elsewhere - o not a lot they can mess up in there which is a good thing ! - there’s a funny tube shield thing & they use a fair amount of ‘spade type’ connectors in there - the custom built speaker is very efficient, so the amp is ‘very’ loud - like really loud ! & as you probably know the tweeds need to be wound to get up ! - all the switches & knobs also seemed to be good quality - in terms of tone, as the speaker is such a huge part of the 5e3 sound, I’d say the supplied speaker doesn’t sound vintage correct, but absolutely fine in its own right (sounds like a greenback).

I’m fortunate enough to own a direct vintage clone, with nos, so it’s that age old argument of whether you want the name or do you want the tone.

Have you also looked at Louis electric?

I’m beginning to think the ‘Fender name surcharge’ is not a sensible idea, it does seem better value can be found with other makers that would still give me the sound I’m after. I’ve not heard of Louis Electric, but just looked and wow!
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 1058
    Just looked up the Louis Electric website myself & I agree. Wow!

https://louiselectricamps.com/
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 10171
    Absolutely nothing wrong with them, but there’s a reason lazy j are so popular.
    Jesse did all the things you’d want to improve the original 5e3
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1164
    If you like tremolo, remember there's a Clapton model that has a bias trem circuit.
  • snowblindsnowblind Frets: 576
    You might want to take a look at this from one of the more noted amp techs on youtube. Keep in mind this is an already modified instance of the amp being discussed but it is more the points about the general design and construction of some of the new reissues that you might want to be aware of. Might lend some more weight to your consideration of alternative builders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJjNHrm4eo0&t=0s
    Old, overweight and badly maintained. Unlike my amps which are just old and overweight.
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2330
    The Fender reissues are good but I think you can do better for the money. 
  • idiotwindowidiotwindow Frets: 1514
    edited January 7
    snowblind said:
    You might want to take a look at this from one of the more noted amp techs on youtube. Keep in mind this is an already modified instance of the amp being discussed but it is more the points about the general design and construction of some of the new reissues that you might want to be aware of. Might lend some more weight to your consideration of alternative builders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJjNHrm4eo0&t=0s
    As far as I know the OP is interested in a '57 tweed Deluxe. A simpler design than the '64 DR in the video but I take your point that the Fender hand wired amps generally aren't necessarily works of art.

At about £2100 street price, the '57 Custom Deluxe isn't the most overpriced product Fender sell but that sort of money will get a secondhand Lazy J or something else nice like a new Victoria https://www.coda-music.com/amplifiers/victoria-amplifier-20112-112-combo-with-half-power-switch.html
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 6224
    Not particularly what you want to hear……

I’ve played more 5e3 and inspired by amps than I can remember and the Fender CS version is firmly in the bottom three. I found it one of the most generic and least characterful of all the options. 

The Clapton version looks interesting though. Never played one but it might have a bit more about it while still being ‘the real deal’?
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 4105
    dazzajl said:
    Not particularly what you want to hear……

I’ve played more 5e3 and inspired by amps than I can remember and the Fender CS version is firmly in the bottom three. I found it one of the most generic and least characterful of all the options. 

The Clapton version looks interesting though. Never played one but it might have a bit more about it while still being ‘the real deal’?
    What was in your top 3?
  • markjmarkj Frets: 944
    Got to be Gartone Bluesman.
  • Power_FreakPower_Freak Frets: 200
    To the names mentioned so far you can add Emprize (UK based) and Victoria (US based) as options for tweed goodness. If you want something in that style but not a straight copy you could look at other Boutique-y options like Carr or even Bartel.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7401
    edited January 15
    I only have a 57 Deluxe(!) but all that is said is true-ish except that it will need a pedal or two depending on your style.Purists hate this, but c'est la vie.

I bought mine over 15 years ago to compliment my vintage 335 and Strat and it didn't really open up the gates of Heaven for them... It wasn't until I got a (ahem) a Harley Benton TE25 Anniversary Tele a few months back that sonic Nirvana happened. That thing where all you do is turn up the guitar vol and it goes from Angels bathed in honey to gates of Hell opening...That.

They are *THE* magic pairing out of my 12 electrics.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

A J20 shits on any of them.

I also have had the EC Tremolux- it was rubbish compared to the Fender  57 RI let alone anything else.

The Clapton is a generic 5E3 with Trem. The real gem of the Tremoluxes was the 5G9, not the 5E9.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.